Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is better? NFCU or USAA??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which is better? NFCU or USAA??

I know they are both great, but if you had to choose, which one and why?  Thanks!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Which is better? NFCU or USAA??

I choose NFCU because I don't qualify for USAA. I'm not sure if that's a valid reason, but I'm using it anyway!

Here we go again...
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Difficult to answer.  I belong to both and enjoy their services, but NFCU edges USAA in my book.
Message 3 of 11
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

I'd have to give a slight nod to USAA just for the reason they offer competative insurance products, mutual funds,annuities, discounts for rental cars-home security-flowers, an online jewelery store that they run, and other services NFCU does not provide.

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 4 of 11
cabarkeep
New Contributor

I used to work for them for awhile and my brother does still ...sister in law too used to work there .... USAA Rocks ...superb cust service in all branches ... will bend over backwards to help you ....

great credit limits (I got pre-appvd for 25k for both MC and AMEX) ....

Google anything about USAA hard to beat the company!

I dont qualify for NFCU so i cant compare sorry...

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, everyone!  Wow!  What were your scores, cabarkeep with a 25K approval?
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have both.

USAA has Deposit@home (scan a check and deposit it to your account - used it this morning).  You can also use a USAA CC as overdraft protection for your checking account.  No cash advance fees when depositing to a USAA account.  Must set up a LOC at NFCU. USAA basic checks are free.  USAA has AmEx and MC, NFCU has Visa and MC.

USAA has InvestStart - $50/month to start with mutual funds. IMO now is the time to be buying stocks.

NFCU -  can do business locally rather than primarily over the net.

WITH BOTH you can set up an 'external transfer' account -  I have them cross registered.

USAA beat NFCU by .5 on each of my cards with them (they are "Total Rewards") USAA debit card is also Total Rewards; and the NFCU card has no rewards(rate priority for me) - for the CC or debit.

HTH

Message Edited by Lady_Scarlet on 11-06-2008 03:23 PM
Message 8 of 11
nathan
Frequent Contributor

For me nfcu is best. They gave me 2 cc worth 20k. Usaa denied me and their reason is that i already have enough credit. I think usaa favors those who have many products with them. Well, i have only a savings account and when I tried their auto insurance quote, they couldn't beat geico. Usaa, unlike nfcu, is too conservative and less interested with rebuilders, whereas nfcu may take a chance on you even with mediocre scores.
Message 9 of 11
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have both.

You can also use a USAA CC as overdraft protection for your checking account.

USAA beat NFCU by .5 on each of my cards with them (they are "Total Rewards") USAA debit card is also Total Rewards; and the NFCU card has no rewards(rate priority for me) - for the CC or debit.

HTH

You raised great points. I wanted to add a couple of things.

1) For overdraft, a credit card from any bank can be used. I still have yet to hear of any other bank or credit union that allows this. This is very handy for me because (a) I've been carrying a balance transfer for awhile on my USAA credit card and (b) the credit card that I'm using for my overdraft protection for my USAA checking account has a credit limit that's twice what my USAA credit limit is

Also, you can set up online a second overdraft protection; this second one is back up in case the first overdraft protection is insufficient. I believe the second overdraft protection can be linked only to a saving account

2) If you have the Total Rewards for your USAA credit card and Total Rewards for your debit card, the rewards points can be pooled. I can't personally verify this; this is information that I was told twice by USAA agents.

3) Besides the debit card, UAA has an ATM only card that they refer to as a "Maestro card".

4) You can put your picture on your USAA (Mastercard) credit card.

5) Also, as of the first of April 2008, the hours for USAA's credit card department were changed permanently.

Previously, you could directly reach someone 24/7. Now you'll only be able to directly reach someone during these hours:

Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm CT
Saturday 8am - 4pm CT
Sunday CLOSED

Outside of those hours, there will be a staff of about five people in the credit card department -- But you're supposed to reach them only if you have a very serious problem, and you'll only be able to reach them by contacting the fraud department (or the website technical support department) and asking to have your call transferred to the credit card department.
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 11-06-2008 08:42 PM
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.