Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is harder to obtain, Chase VS Discover

tag
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which is harder to obtain, Chase VS Discover

In my experience, Discover is easier. I'm definiely not alone in starting out my credit history with Discover.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 31 of 32
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which is harder to obtain, Chase VS Discover

The underwriting is similar between Chase (Freedom) and Discover; though Chase does typically want a year of revolving history in the vast majority of cases whereas Discover is willing to play ball prior to that.  The Chase exceptions have nearly all been for customers that have banking relationships with Chase.

That's really about the only difference other than Chase can be stingier with opening CL's than Discover; however, Chase moved it's underwriting to compete against Discover directly I suspect back in June '12 roughly.  Other lenders did similarly but the Freedom/Discover cards are pretty indistinguishable other than who's logo and what rewards category each happens to have active and from a business perspective I'm certain that was taken into consideration after Chase decided to expand their credit card portfolio and apparently start bringing in more people who were rebuilding rather than the full on prime bank they traditionally had been with the improving economy (at that point).

        
Message 32 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.