cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which major instution I should bank with...

tag
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: Which major instution I should bank with...

Chase is probably the best bank to go with if you're into the credit card game, since they arguably have the best credit card portfolio out there. Having a banking/investment relationship is something that has definitely helped me get approved for some of the Chase CCs.

For those with big enough account balances or an investment relationship at JPMC, their top tier banking accounts are awesome. With my J.P. Morgan checking account there are no FTF fees on my debit card, no ATM fees ever (and fees charged by 3rd parties are refunded same day, with no limit), unlimited free incoming/outgoing domestic and international wire transfers, free checks, 24/7 phone banking concierge (you don't have to press a single number, someone just picks up and answers), free safe deposit box at Chase, higher limits for ATM withdrawals and mobile banking capabilities, no overdraft fees, no account minimum/balance requirement, etc. I even have them physically deliver foreign currency to my office prior to international trips. Couldn't be happier after transitioning from a Citigold account several years ago, which sucked.
TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 11 of 68
Open123
Super Contributor

bribro wrote:For those with big enough account balances or an investment relationship at JPMC, their top tier banking accounts are awesome. With my J.P. Morgan checking account there are no FTF fees on my debit card, no ATM fees ever (and fees charged by 3rd parties are refunded same day, with no limit), unlimited free incoming/outgoing domestic and international wire transfers...

Truly unlimited and uncapped?  I don't mean 1,000 per day, but, say, up 30 per month is ok and won't be considered abuse?  Also, from your experience, how's their compliance dept with int'l wires?  

Approximately, what size?  

Thanks!

Message 12 of 68
enharu
Super Contributor

Like others have said, chase is a good bank to go with if you are into credit cards. Establishing a relationship with them will be beneficial if you are interested in getting a mortgage through them down the road as well.

Wells Fargo is another bank you can check out, if you are interested in a mortgage later on, because they have a very significant presence in mortgages and they are big on relationships as well. But everything else about Wells Fargo is mediocre at best.

Citi is good only if you have a citi account overseas. It is the only bank I know that can have international wire transfers done instantly rather than having to wait 1-3 business days that most banks would require you to.

That being said, most of the prime banks require at least some minimum average daily balance to avoid fees, or to have direct deposit or something set up.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 13 of 68
Contributor

I can wholeheartedly recommend Charles Schwab. ATM fee refunds, superb customer service, and no monthly fees. I don't think I'll ever go back to banking with a local branch. It's just so much more convenient when it's all online.

$1500            $1500             $2500             $2500             NPSL         
Starting EQ: 646 - Current EQ: 693 - Goal EQ for 12/2013: >720
Gardening from 7/2013 until 1/2014
Message 14 of 68
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@528491 wrote:

I can wholeheartedly recommend Charles Schwab. ATM fee refunds, superb customer service, and no monthly fees. I don't think I'll ever go back to banking with a local branch. It's just so much more convenient when it's all online.

Almost everything is online these days, but occasionally I receive checks that simply can't be deposited remotely.  Checks cut by Wells Fargo Payment Services actually fall in that category, and I get one of those nearly every two weeks.

OP: Like others have stated, if you're chasing CC's, Chase is the place to be.  Given that two of your list of three happen to be Chase specifically, it seems like a good bet.  That said everything that Open123 stated I completely concur with in terms of the relative merits between banks.  If BOFA hadn't finally annoyed me one too many times with the silly games they play with their checking accounts, I'd probably still be there.  Overall I'm much happier with Chase, but I keep a few other acounts around for other purposes... like USAA's transfer options are likely best-in-class for small banking customers, no fees for inbound or outbound ACH's.

        
Message 15 of 68
HiLine
Blogger

Crazy how many banks people here have checking accounts with. I have banking experience with BofA, Chase, and US Bank, and so far BofA has been the best. The online banking function is extremely well-developed and provides easy access to all financial accounts you have with BofA. BofA banking accounts typically carry more perks than those at other banks: you get free access to select museums, no maintenance fee if you use ATM's for simple transactions, no limit on credit card payments, and access to online shopping and local deals. Having a BofA banking account also gives you more value from their credit card rewards, typically 10% of the regular reward earning rate. Other major banks have a long way to go to catch up with BofA's online banking system.

Feel free to check out my brief review of BofA's online banking with respect to credit cards here: http://hiepsfinance.com/2013/03/03/bank-of-americas-credit-cards-an-insiders-view/

Message 16 of 68
Manny121
Established Member

@enxinas wrote:

@Manny121 wrote:

Depends what your location is and which bank has more presence in your area. I work for Chase and we have a heavy presence in the northeast ..and also expanding in 23 states ..sooo if you are in any of those states then def Chase Smiley Happy

Then recon me for an Ink card! jk Smiley Wink

I live in Socal, and I know there's a lot of Chase in here lol

Come over to my branch in NYC and I'll sweet talk one of the credit card reps lol ....and yes Chase has been making its mark in socal ...might be an option for u Smiley Wink

AMEX GREEN [NPSL] ::: DISCOVER IT [$7800] ::: CHASE SAPPHIRE [$5000] ::: CHASE FREEDOM [$5000] ::: BARCLAYCARD ARRIVAL WMC [$5000] ::: CAP 1 VENTUREONE [$3000] ::: AMEX DELTA GOLD [$2000] ::: CAP 1 QS1 [$1250] ::: BOA CASH REWARDS [$1000] ::: CAP 1 PLATINUM [$750] ::: MACY'S RED CARD [$500]
Message 17 of 68
HiLine
Blogger

@Manny121 wrote:

@enxinas wrote:

@Manny121 wrote:

Depends what your location is and which bank has more presence in your area. I work for Chase and we have a heavy presence in the northeast ..and also expanding in 23 states ..sooo if you are in any of those states then def Chase Smiley Happy

Come over to my branch in NYC and I'll sweet talk one of the credit card reps lol ....and yes Chase has been making its mark in socal ...might be an option for u Smiley Wink

Where's your branch? I may come by to say hi in a couple of months.

Message 18 of 68
john398
Senior Contributor

I bank with Chase and USAA. I love that USAA deposits my paycheck a day before the normal pay date, but still keep Chase because I can deposit using my phone or at a branch

Message 19 of 68
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@Manny121 wrote:

@enxinas wrote:

@Manny121 wrote:

Ahahaha lol.

Thanks for the input peeps. As of right now, my main bank is Wells Fargo, followed by Chase, then Charles Scwab for my investments. I also have a Higherone account for my college. That said, I think I'll build a relationship with Chase (how would I do it without taking out any loans or applying for CCs... Kinda hard lol). Forgot to mention that all (except Scwab) of my accounts are College accounts

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 68
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.