cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which major instution I should bank with...

tag
ReaLiLJ
Regular Contributor

Re: Which major instution I should bank with...

@Revelate wrote:

@528491 wrote:

I can wholeheartedly recommend Charles Schwab. ATM fee refunds, superb customer service, and no monthly fees. I don't think I'll ever go back to banking with a local branch. It's just so much more convenient when it's all online.

"like USAA's transfer options small banking customers, no fees for inbound or outbound ACH's."

Omg where do I sign up! hahahaa all these perks I just read about from USAA has me so intrigued to find out what all the confirmed hype is about! Smiley Tongue As for me Chase is the best when it comes to banking. Best CC's, very friendly and prompt when it comes to handling disputes, always have friendly reps when you need to sit down and blow out some steam or when you just have general questions that no one else can seem to answer. They are good with reverting late fee's, and the online enviornment is not complicated and you can do everything you need to without having to do much. But everybodies different, and use certain banks for certain things so you have to figure out what you really want to do with them, and what type of relationship you want to built before you choose and commit. -LJ

20 Years & 1 Month Young; Total Income: $53k (Credit History): 1.9 years AAOA: 1.0 years
Fico Scores: Exp: 725 (12/4) EQ: 703 (11/13) TU: 736 (12/6) Total Credit Available: 89k
Wallet: AmEx Plat- NPSL | AmEx BCP $10.5K | BestBuy SC $10k | Duck Card $8k | BoFA CR Plat Plus Sig. $5k | Discover IT $6k | Chase Freedom Sig. $7k | CSP Sig. $5k | USBank Cash+ Sig. $5k | Barclays R MC $5k | Chevron Visa $5k | BR Visa $5k | Walmart Discover $4k | DCU Plat Visa $3k | QuickSilver CR $3k | Macy's Store CC/Macy's Amex $2.5k/$3k | BML $1.2k | Citi Divi Plat Visa $500
Open Loans: Sallie Mae SL: ($5.6k) (Def.) Car Loan (Red Devil FR-S): $20k/33k Remaining -Will Pay Off in 2yrs. Advice Welcomed!
Message 21 of 68
bribro
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

bribro wrote:For those with big enough account balances or an investment relationship at JPMC, their top tier banking accounts are awesome. With my J.P. Morgan checking account there are no FTF fees on my debit card, no ATM fees ever (and fees charged by 3rd parties are refunded same day, with no limit), unlimited free incoming/outgoing domestic and international wire transfers...

Truly unlimited and uncapped?  I don't mean 1,000 per day, but, say, up 30 per month is ok and won't be considered abuse?  Also, from your experience, how's their compliance dept with int'l wires?  

Approximately, what size?  

Thanks!

Yes, unlimited and uncapped. As far as I know, there are no fees of any kind with my account except for the fee when you go over your Reg B limits on savings accounts. As for international wire transfers, I've never had any issues with same day transfers to say London, but I'm sure if you're wiring $5mm to Dubai there will be additional scrutiny.

Official minimum at JPMPB-HNW is $5mm. JPMS doesn't technically have minimums, but usually around $5mm as well.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 22 of 68
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

I'm with BOFA and Chase. I have had excellent experiences with both of them, however BOFA has the better of the online accounts, while Chase has the better CC portfolio. I also have a ROTH IRA (I opened it a couple of days ago) with Fidelity, and their customer service is good so far. Did I mention Chase has been really generous to me CL wise, even though my income is rather low (I'm a student.) and I will utilize their cards as much as I can. Even Amex or Citi hasn't been as generous to me. 

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 23 of 68
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@bluesnowman wrote:

I'm with BOFA and Chase. I have had excellent experiences with both of them, however BOFA has the better of the online accounts, while Chase has the better CC portfolio. I also have a ROTH IRA (I opened it a couple of days ago) with Fidelity, and their customer service is good so far. Did I mention Chase has been really generous to me CL wise, even though my income is rather low (I'm a student.) and I will utilize their cards as much as I can. Even Amex or Citi hasn't been as generous to me. 

Well Chase is not that generous to me as of late.. I app'd for a biz card though.. Maybe in 6 months they'll be nicer to me lol.

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 24 of 68
bribro
Valued Contributor

@bluesnowman wrote:

I've heard this a few times. What makes BofA's online experience better?

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 25 of 68
HiLine
Blogger

@bribro wrote:

@bluesnowman wrote:

The online banking function is extremely well-developed and provides easy access to all financial accounts you have with BofA. BofA banking accounts typically carry more perks than those at other banks: you get free access to select museums, no maintenance fee if you use ATM's for simple transactions, no limit on credit card payments, and access to online shopping and local deals. Having a BofA banking account also gives you more value from their credit card rewards, typically 10% of the regular reward earning rate. Other major banks have a long way to go to catch up with BofA's online banking system.

Message 26 of 68
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@bribro wrote:

@bluesnowman wrote:

The online banking function is extremely well-developed and provides easy access to all financial accounts you have with BofA. BofA banking accounts typically carry more perks than those at other banks: you get free access to select museums, no maintenance fee if you use ATM's for simple transactions, no limit on credit card payments, and access to online shopping and local deals. Having a BofA banking account also gives you more value from their credit card rewards, typically 10% of the regular reward earning rate. Other major banks have a long way to go to catch up with BofA's online banking system.

Yes, it is a much better website than many other banks, but it really depends what you do.  With BoA, f you use out of network ATMS, you get charged, if you do an ACH transfer, you get charged.   You get almost no interest on your accoun.  I too have moved away from all "real" banks, and just use online ones (Everbank/Ally/Barclays for example).  With free ATM, ATM fee reimbursement, remote deposit and (almost) no fees, I haven't missed a B&M branch.   If you are not marginal, a banking relationship is not that important for a CC decision (the bank will want your custom) and mortgages are usually much cheaper through internet brokers anyway.

Now if you have a private banking type relationship, that might be different.

Message 27 of 68
HiLine
Blogger

I see your point, but how is that related to online banking experience? Those banks you mentioned aren't generally considered major insitutions.

I do want to try one of those online banks though - sounds like a good idea to develop relationships with banks that are likely to give you favorable mortgage rates in the future. Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 68
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote: (Everbank/Ally/Barclays for example).  

Barclays has a bank?  Mind giving me the quick pros and cons?

Thanks!

Message 29 of 68
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

I see your point, but how is that related to online banking experience? Those banks you mentioned aren't generally considered major insitutions.

I do want to try one of those online banks though - sounds like a good idea to develop relationships with banks that are likely to give you favorable mortgage rates in the future. Smiley Happy

It was a multi-point post, agreeing that BoA website is excellent but I wouldn't use it as a bank for some of the reasons I listed.  I also was addressing the subject of the thread, saying "I wouldn't bother with any".

Barclays is of course a major bank, one of the biggest in the world, just not so well known in the US.

Edit: On mortgages, I found much better rates from internet brokers than from banks I had/have relationships with.  

Message 30 of 68
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.