cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which major instution I should bank with...

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Which major instution I should bank with...

I figured out earlier that we have different points of view as a result of the difference in wealth and needs. You are a high net worth individual, and perhaps as a result of your business, are primarily concerned about services and features that a regular person like me almost never uses. And that is why you consider the points I made rather trivial. I suspect you couldn't care less about the online banking system since you always have a private banker in reach. You highly value rewards since your spending is so high that the rewards easily trump everything else, and you think of the Freedom-CSP combo as a given.

I come from a different perspective. In my world, the average person does not have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, rarely makes wire transfers, and actually cares about banking accounts' maintenance cost. In my world, the average person has one bank account period, not one for each purpose. In my world, what the average person wants is everything centralized in one system, not having to go search for sites that offer the best rewards. That's why in my perspective a full-featured, all-in-one online banking system like that of Bank of America is useful, and that's why I value the features that you deem trivial.

Clearly you are no longer asking questions about Bank of America's online banking function, but rather making judgements for yourself. There is no accounting for taste, and I am not trying to convince you that Bank of America's online banking is better than Chase, even if an industry survey says so. You asked me a question, and I replied to it. There were misunderstandings along the way, but I think we understand each other's point of view at this point. I find it unproductive to continue the discussion and will drop out from here. See you in a different discussion.

Robot wink

Message 61 of 68
CEOriginal
Contributor

I like turtles.

Scores as of 7/28/13: EX.683   TU.688   EQ.???
Message 62 of 68
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

I figured out earlier that we have different points of view as a result of the difference in wealth and needs. You are a high net worth individual, and perhaps as a result of your business, are primarily concerned about services and features that a regular person like me almost never uses. And that is why you consider the points I made rather trivial. I suspect you couldn't care less about the online banking system since you always have a private banker in reach. You highly value rewards since your spending is so high that the rewards easily trump everything else, and you think of the Freedom-CSP combo as a given.

I come from a different perspective. In my world, the average person does not have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, rarely makes wire transfers, and actually cares about banking accounts' maintenance cost. In my world, the average person has one bank account period, not one for each purpose. In my world, what the average person wants is everything centralized in one system, not having to go search for sites that offer the best rewards. That's why in my perspective a full-featured, all-in-one online banking system like that of Bank of America is useful, and that's why I value the features that you deem trivial.

Clearly you are no longer asking questions about Bank of America's online banking function, but rather making judgements for yourself. There is no accounting for taste, and I am not trying to convince you that Bank of America's online banking is better than Chase, even if an industry survey says so. You asked me a question, and I replied to it. There were misunderstandings along the way, but I think we understand each other's point of view at this point. I find it unproductive to continue the discussion and will drop out from here. See you in a different discussion.

Robot wink

I just have to say that this is a GREAT post and one I will keep in mind in the future when people ask for advice about all in one banking. While this is not me, I fall into the category of one bank account for each purpose and many cards for the same reason, not everyone operates like that. There is certainly something to be same for simplicity.

Message 63 of 68
bribro
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Robot wink

This post has absolutely nothing to do with what we've been talking about, but appears to be some pathetic, misguided attempt at generating sympathy. "In my world, the average person... actually cares about banking accounts' maintenance costs?" What exactly is that supposed to mean? I never implied that most people need a private banking account, because most people don't. I said that if someone wants to do online banking and doesn't need the services of a teller, a truly no-fee banking account (which BofA doesn't offer) from Schwab would probably be a better choice. For those that do want access to a teller, a credit union might be a better fit because they tend to have less or no fees and better interest rates. For someone who wants to pick a bank that would help them get credit cards, like the OP asked about, Chase would probably be the best choice.

I didn't always have a private banking account, I started with a run-of-the-bill Citibank student account like many people. And just because I have a private banking account now doesn't mean I can't give good advice on other types of banking accounts. In fact, I'd say this exchange of ours shows that I have a better understanding of them than you do, and you're supposedly a financial blogger. And what does how much I earn or spend have to do with credit card rewards? You can spend $100 a month or $100,000 a month, UR points are a better value compared the what BofA cards offer for those who optimize properly. And it's not like BofA is a subprime lender, their credit cards are about as hard to get as Chase's, they just aren't as good.

All I was asking was for you to explain why BofA has a better "online experience" than Chase. There used to be a time when there were major substantive differences between online banking accounts (before free bill pay was standard, before mobile apps were standard, before everyone copied Chase mobile check deposit, etc.). You made the point that BofA allows you to pay credit cards more than once every 3 days, and to overpay your balances. That's good to know, and I just wanted to know if that was it so people on this forum have the correct information. Instead of ending it there (since those were the only two concrete examples you could come up with) you kept repeatedly bringing up things like museum visits and the 10% bonus on BofA's mediocre credit cards that have little relevance. And now that you nothing substantive to add, you have tried to flip this into some class warfare pity party.

Jealousy is so sad.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 64 of 68
score_building
Senior Contributor

@bribro wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Robot wink

This post has absolutely nothing to do with what we've been talking about, but appears to be some pathetic, misguided attempt at generating sympathy. "In my world, the average person... actually cares about banking accounts' maintenance costs?" What exactly is that supposed to mean? I never implied that most people need a private banking account, because most people don't. I said that if someone wants to do online banking and doesn't need the services of a teller, a truly no-fee banking account (which BofA doesn't offer) from Schwab would probably be a better choice. For those that do want access to a teller, a credit union might be a better fit because they tend to have less or no fees and better interest rates. For someone who wants to pick a bank that would help them get credit cards, like the OP asked about, Chase would probably be the best choice.

I didn't always have a private banking account, I started with a run-of-the-bill Citibank student account like many people. And just because I have a private banking account now doesn't mean I can't give good advice on other types of banking accounts. In fact, I'd say this exchange of ours shows that I have a better understanding of them than you do, and you're supposedly a financial blogger. And what does how much I earn or spend have to do with credit card rewards? You can spend $100 a month or $100,000 a month, UR points are a better value compared the what BofA cards offer for those who optimize properly. And it's not like BofA is a subprime lender, their credit cards are about as hard to get as Chase's, they just aren't as good.

All I was asking was for you to explain why BofA has a better "online experience" than Chase. There used to be a time when there were major substantive differences between online banking accounts (before free bill pay was standard, before mobile apps were standard, before everyone copied Chase mobile check deposit, etc.). You made the point that BofA allows you to pay credit cards more than once every 3 days, and to overpay your balances. That's good to know, and I just wanted to know if that was it so people on this forum have the correct information. Instead of ending it there (since those were the only two concrete examples you could come up with) you kept repeatedly bringing up things like museum visits and the 10% bonus on BofA's mediocre credit cards that have little relevance. And now that you nothing substantive to add, you have tried to flip this into some class warfare pity party.

Jealousy is so sad.

really? all of that...to be fair haven't been followng closely but after what sounds like mostly salient observations, this actually seems to go a bit far afield of the discussion as well, no?

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 65 of 68
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

I think it really boils down to what you need. I have 3 bank accounts; BoA (ckg), PNC (2 ckg, 1 svgs), & Ally (MM).

My Ally account is my main savings account. It's an online account, so I know I won't use the money. It did come with a debit card for easier access to the funds, but I do have the discipline to only dip into that account when necessary.

My BoA account, I got because I went away to college (in DC) and the credit union I was banking with was only located in my home state. It's okay. It's not my main account, one of my student loan comes out of it automatically, but I generally use it when my PNC balance begins to dwindle. I have the eBanking account, because they were charging me to have the Access checking account, and since I never go to the bank, I had no issue with having an account where they discourage you from going to a teller with a fee (unless you are buying a cashier's check -- aka doing something you can't do on your own through the online system, phone app, and ATM). The online feature is cool.

My PNC account is my go to account. I have what they call the Virtual Wallet (it's a package, hence why I have 2 ckgs and & the svgs account). It's a very interactive online account. It really helps me stay on budget. It's my main banking account. It works for me.

Generally, every bank/credit union that you go to someone is going to have a horror story and someone is going to think the institution was sent from above. Every bank/credit union has fees (including the dreaded OD fee), funds availability policies (though in my experience CU have a terrible funds availability policy 7 days versus 1 day with BoA or PNC), and general limitations.

And as someone who works in a bank, I can honestly say that the people in the branches and in the call center do want to help people settle their issues. I've received great customer service and not so great customer service with both banks and credit unions (and sometimes the service isn't bad, I just didn't get the answer I wanted).

One that really stands out in my mind is when I was 18 and my roommate stole my account info and the banker at the BoA branch ridiculed me for it (yes I shouldn't have forgotten my checkbook on my desk, but we were friends and at that age I didn't realize that not all friends can be trusted). I didn't appreciate it, and as much as I wanted to be done with the institution as a whole, I couldn't because it was the easiest bank accessible by both me and my family (aka when I needed money, someone could make a deposit for me). I'm actually glad that I didn't close the account, b/c I have a good relationship with them now. Are they my favorite, nope, but is it nice to have a global bank (debit & credit card) in my pocket, yes.

Long story short. Shop around. Go to the different websites, see what they have to offer and make a sound decision on what you need as a consumer.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 66 of 68
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@HiLine wrote:
. I had access to BofA's shopping portal without even having a credit card. BofA gives me the option; Chase does not. I, as well as many others out there, as a banking customer as well as credit card customer, don't get access to the UR mall, but get access to BofA's shopping mall. 

Which shopping mall is this?   I have access to the Worldpoints one via my Fidelity Amex, but when I log in with my BoA checking id to

https://rewardsshoppingmall.bankofamerica.com/home.htm, I get

You do not have an eligible rewards credit card account to access this website.

Is there a different site?

Message 67 of 68
Manny121
Established Member

@HiLine wrote:

@Manny121 wrote:

@enxinas wrote:

@Manny121 wrote:

Depends what your location is and which bank has more presence in your area. I work for Chase and we have a heavy presence in the northeast ..and also expanding in 23 states ..sooo if you are in any of those states then def Chase Smiley Happy

Then recon me for an Ink card! jk Smiley Wink

I live in Socal, and I know there's a lot of Chase in here lol

Come over to my branch in NYC and I'll sweet talk one of the credit card reps lol ....and yes Chase has been making its mark in socal ...might be an option for u Smiley Wink

Where's your branch? I may come by to say hi in a couple of months.

Sorry for the late response ...I work in the Exxon Building branch, which is 50th street & 6th ave ...

AMEX GREEN [NPSL] ::: DISCOVER IT [$7800] ::: CHASE SAPPHIRE [$5000] ::: CHASE FREEDOM [$5000] ::: BARCLAYCARD ARRIVAL WMC [$5000] ::: CAP 1 VENTUREONE [$3000] ::: AMEX DELTA GOLD [$2000] ::: CAP 1 QS1 [$1250] ::: BOA CASH REWARDS [$1000] ::: CAP 1 PLATINUM [$750] ::: MACY'S RED CARD [$500]
Message 68 of 68
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.