cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which of these cards should I pick for long term main card?

tag
user979797
Established Contributor

Which of these cards should I pick for long term main card?

I am trying to decide what to do in terms of credit cards. I currently have 5 credit cards which include 3 that I have obtained this year.

Due to my bankruptcy filing I am limited as to which banks I can join but have been pre approved with a few that I will list below. The two capital ones I have both have high interest rates and are platinum cards only with no rewards. The newest card I have is a BBVA clear points card with my highest rate of all cards at 27% but it is my only cash back rewards card besides Discover, so I'm using it for that purpose and paying in full each month. I was thinking of keeping it despite the very small SL of 900 and building it up and hopefully getting increases and using it as my main card while the others are sock drawered. However I have been reading reviews and comments on the BBVA card and people complaining about payment problems never getting interest rate lowered and even multiple credit limit decreases. Reading this has made me question my choice to keep this card or not; so any advice is appreciated. I do not want to choose a main card that can suddenly lower my limit without me being late or maxed or overlimit.  I am preapproved for a few other cards as well which I will list below and if anyone thinks these choices are better in terms of "long term use and using it as my main card" please share your opinions. Thank you all in advance.

BBVA: 900.00 limit: If i choose this as my main card i am hoping for CLI's; I also love that you can get pre approved for cards with them and they show you the limit before you accept it. Has anyone had any decreases with this card or been able to get a lower interest rate? Any payment problems?  Problems getting increases? Anyone have good experiences with this card?

Discover: Pre Approved. I love discover but have been reading of people getting CLD's with them. This is the only concern I have with them and besides that would love them to be my main card IF it's a good choice. Any thoughts on Discover? Anyone had any line decreases with them? Do they ever lower interest rate?

Wells Fargo Cash Wise: Pre Approved: I haven't seen many posts about them decreasing credit limits, does anyone know if they are good or bad in that area? Do they ever lower interest rate? Are credit limit increases hard to obtain? Soft or hard pull?

BarclayCard Uber: Barclaycard has tons of reviews of people getting decreased with them even though they were never late or overlimit. So I have pretty much decided against this card for that purpose. Any thoughts?

Navy Federal Credit Union: I would have to join through my estranged parent which i really dont want to do but will if it means getting a good card. I haven't found any posts about limits being decreased with them. Interest rates seem to be pretty decent from the get go with them as well. Does anyone have any experience getting limits increased/decreased with them? Any payment problems? Anyone ever gotten a lower interest rate?

Those are the banks I am already approved with except Navy but with my score where it is and since it's been over 2 years since my BK discharge I should have no problem at all getting approved with them. Im just trying to figure out if I should just keep BBVA or get one of these cards instead and cancel BBVA once the 0%apr runs out. Reading the horrible experiences people have posted with BBVA clear points and the small SL and high interest rate are the negatives Im seeing with it. Since so many people on here have experience with all of these cards and banks I thought I would ask for assistance and advice from the community. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies with info. I appreciate it.

>
21 REPLIES 21
CA4Closure
Regular Contributor

Capital One Platnium and Quick Silver in the Safe

Ex: 800

TU: 819
Eq: 790

With my new Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Cash Rewards, I have put my Captial One cards in the safe. I will not close it and will allow Capital One to close it for non-use. In 2011 I lost my home to foreclosure. Everyone except Capital One asked me to cut my cards in half and closed my accounts.

A month later Capital One changed my rewards card and made it a $5 monthly fee card and no rewards. I was never late on any of my accounts. But I had no choice because I needed a credit card. Fast forward to today.

My credit is above 80O and I have asked Capital One repeatedly to remove my $5 fee but they tell me it was part of the agreement I signed at opening of the account. I told them NO they changed the agreement on me and I never had a $5 fee before unti 2011. This account is 18 years old. They still wouldn't budge so I opened my NFCU account and now Capital One will no longer be used. This Capital One card has an APR of 9.9%. My new NFCU Cash Rewards 10.9% but that is ok because they offer mortgage and other loans at low rates.

Just spent $4,000 on my new NFCU Visa card!

Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Platnium and Quick Silver in the Safe

So you're still paying $60/year for that card to keep it?  I'd axe it, won't impact you for 10 years and by that time you'll have enough time to establish a more robust credit profile.  I had a couple older C1 cards from~ decade ago that I used to rebuild my credit. I had to call in each year to get the AF fee waived.  This year they refused to waive the fee so I axed them.  Was growing tired of calling in each year anyway.  C1 is a specialty credit provider -- they make their high margin juice off the subprime market and hence aren't too keen on getting rid of AFs on legacy cards.  They just don't really specialize in the higher end market and seem to be fine with losing customers who have moved up in credit profile.  Great cards for building up a credit profile, but eventually you move on.

Message 2 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Capital One Platnium and Quick Silver in the Safe

@CA4Closure wrote:

Ex: 800

TU: 819
Eq: 790

With my new Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Cash Rewards, I have put my Captial One cards in the safe. I will not close it and will allow Capital One to close it for non-use. In 2011 I lost my home to foreclosure. Everyone except Capital One asked me to cut my cards in half and closed my accounts.

A month later Capital One changed my rewards card and made it a $5 monthly fee card and no rewards. I was never late on any of my accounts. But I had no choice because I needed a credit card. Fast forward to today.

My credit is above 80O and I have asked Capital One repeatedly to remove my $5 fee but they tell me it was part of the agreement I signed at opening of the account. I told them NO they changed the agreement on me and I never had a $5 fee before unti 2011. This account is 18 years old. They still wouldn't budge so I opened my NFCU account and now Capital One will no longer be used. This Capital One card has an APR of 9.9%. My new NFCU Cash Rewards 10.9% but that is ok because they offer mortgage and other loans at low rates.

Just spent $4,000 on my new NFCU Visa card!

If you haven't already, see if Capital One will PC the card to another type without a fee... this is one of the few times that even a PC to a Venture One would be preferrable to what you have now.  Sometimes a PC is available even when they are unable to waive a fee, and vice versa.

If they tell you that a PC is not available, I would try back monthly (if you are determined to keep the account open)... that's what it took to finally ditch the fee on my old MasterCard (it was a QS1 with a $79 AF, eventually I had an "offer" for a PC to a QS with no fee... it's now a Savor).

Message 3 of 22
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Which of these cards should I pick for long term main card?

Have you tried to see if you're eligible for Capital One platinum upgrade? See if you can PC to quicksilver.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-One-check-for-upgrade-link/td-p/4934733
Message 5 of 22
user979797
Established Contributor

Yes I have tried to upgrade using the link but am not eligible.

>
Message 6 of 22
chhull00
Frequent Contributor

BB&T has a pre approval also try them, i had a nice sl with them, i also have BBVA but have none of the issues you mentioned above, i just joined NFCU but dont know yet since havent appllied for any cards yet good hunting my friendSmiley LOLHeart

Message 7 of 22
AllZero
Mega Contributor

For Navy, call in and apply for membership over the phone first. If either of your parents, grandparents, siblings, children were military, that is one of your eligibility choices.

https://membership.navyfederal.org/#/step/eligibility-choices
Message 8 of 22
AllZero
Mega Contributor

For your reading pleasure.
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Navy-Federal-Thread-for-CLI-and-Additional...

Navy is a great institution. I haven't read much on issues with CLD. APR reduction can be requested on the 1 year anniversary of the card.
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://www.bbt.com/offers/checkOffers - don't need a login to check

https://forms.pnc.com/content/dlx-landing/en/ps1-loan-offer-entry.html?offers=HPA-AUT-CRC-HEL&source... - need a login / can sign up for an e-savings and tell them you'll make a deposit later 

https://apply.regions.com/creditcards/login/olb - need a login / can sign up for an e-savings and tell them you'll make a deposit later 

https://online.bbvausa.com/apply/credit-card-prequal?source=sba&oneTimeToken=SSOls/5v/LlXLNcqyXmBy75...Smiley Surprised - need a login 

BBVA - contrary to what you've read they're actually pretty easy to deal with.  The payment issue seems to be resolved from external accounts you can now manage them yourself vs having to e-mail them the form to set it up even just a few months ago.

WF - They've been steady for the past few months but, weren't the most impressive when it comes to opening limits

Uber - I opened them with a rash of other accounts, instapproved for 11K and bumped to 25K w/ a 2 min phone call the same day for the same pull

BBVA / WF / Uber - it's going to be a HP and you have to wait either 6 or 12 months.... sometimes there's some gifting of CLI's but, don't count on it.

Disco - SP CLI's whenever you want to ask if fine but, typically 90 days or more seem to work better these days, Yes, you can ask for an APR reduction and someitmes even can redo your 0% for purchases for an extra 12 months just by asking for offers on your account.

Keep the cards you have as long as they're not charging you fees to have them (looking at Cap1).  27% APR is a good thing....it motivates you into good fiscal habits like PIF.  If you have no "debt" then they have no power over you.  Once you have a solid foundation again with CC's and other credit items you can be a bit pickier on what and where.  2 years out for most places isn't going to get you an approval though with the bigger banks.....most will tell you to kick rocks until you hit 5 years or more... some are 3 and others are 1 day but, you PAY for it.

NFCU is a bit of a double edged sword when it comes to BK + approvals and big CL's....   They don't really count for a measuring stick for big banks to compete with when it comes to new accounts.  They're odd in that they hand out 25K CL's to quite a few people that aren't really ready for them in the sense that their other CL's are 500-5000 and carrying balances still.  The bigger banks really only look at their direct competition when it comes to new CL's on new CC's.  If you're focused on PIF and consistent with it then reward yourself with NFCU but, work on the others you have to get the CLs up for when that BK door opens again with the big banks if you don't want to get shot down with a CL that's toy size and doesn't get you that Chase CSR or something along those lines that require a 10K+ major bank CL. 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.