Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which one of my cards to use as daily

tag
Scott90
Contributor

Which one of my cards to use as daily

Greetings,

I have a couple cash back rewards cards and trying to determine which one I should use as my daily card and PIF every month so I can start accumulating some rewards.

Capital One

---1% on everything

---50% anniversary bonus of earned cash each year

Chase Freedom

---1% on everything

---5% special bonus categories throughout year

USAA AMEX

---1.25% on everything

---2.25% on gas and groceries

---rebates awarded every january for previous 12 months purchases

I also have the BoA card with 3% gas, 2% groceries, 1% everything else but I cannot use this card as a daily as I am using the 0% interest promo period on a large purchase I have made.

Given the options though, I would think the USAA AMEX offers me the best rewards being as the percentage is higher.  To me this looks clear but I wanted to ask on here as well to make sure I wasnt missing anything. 

I only spend about 80 dollars a month on gas, if that.  And groceries I probably spend around 200.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gstq34
Contributor

Re: Which one of my cards to use as daily

The USAA Amex is "up to" and only hits the max 2.25 when to spend over $x.xx (check with them I think $17,000)  Anyway mine is in the SD.  That leaves Cap 1 with that 50% bonus and the Freedom behind it to catch 5% CB.

Starting Score: 573
Current Score: 764 EX (FAKO)
Goal Score: 760 all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
ElCamino
Contributor

Because of the 50% bonus, the actual cashback amount you will earn annually with the Cap One card is 1.5%.

I'd use that card on anything that isn't in a bonus category for one of the other cards.

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 3 of 9
Scott90
Contributor

Very good points, thank you guys!

Quick question about the USAA AMEX though, where did you see that you have to spend XX amount.  I just logged into my account and i see where it says "up to" but i dont see any fine print anywhere that states a specific amount needed to spend, just was wondering.

now that i think about how i spent the majority of my money it definitely seems like the Cap One card may be my best bet, who knows, maybe the extra use will finally land me a CLI, lol.

Message 4 of 9
ElCamino
Contributor

@Scott90 wrote:

Quick question about the USAA AMEX though, where did you see that you have to spend XX amount.  I just logged into my account and i see where it says "up to" but i dont see any fine print anywhere that states a specific amount needed to spend, just was wondering.

now that i think about how i spent the majority of my money it definitely seems like the Cap One card may be my best bet, who knows, maybe the extra use will finally land me a CLI, lol.

If you've had the card for a while you could try e-mailing the EO. Tell them you want to make the Cap One your primary card, but in order to do so you'll need a higher limit, and that you would appreciate it if they based this increase on a soft pull of your credit and not a hard inquiry. (if you already have a higher limit card you could even reference this and request that they match or exceed it)

You might get lucky and get a CLI this way.

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 5 of 9
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

all of them

Every category gets best card. very simple.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 6 of 9
bribro
Valued Contributor

If you are only looking for cashback, Capital One at 1.5% is probably your best bet. If you use United or Hyatt, your Freedom card might be better (you'll just have to get a CSP or other premium UR card down the line to transfer the points out). You should be able to get at least $0.02 in value per UR point, often much more.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 7 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

@bribro wrote:

If you are only looking for cashback, Capital One at 1.5% is probably your best bet. If you use United or Hyatt, your Freedom card might be better (you'll just have to get a CSP or other premium UR card down the line to transfer the points out). You should be able to get at least $0.02 in value per UR point, often much more.

+1

For no annual fee pure cashback cards, the choices are simple and clear.  Capital One at 1.5%; Fid Amex at 2%; JCB at 3% (for those in CA and HI).  Priceline was great at 2%, but no longer available.

Message 8 of 9
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@Scott90 wrote:

- Go to the main USAA website

- Select Our Products, then Credit Cards

- Below the 'apply' button under the AmEx, click 'Learn More'

- On the right side of the popup, select Cash Rewards

- Click Rewards erms & Conditions

If your annual net purchases are: Your Cash Rewards Rebate will be:

$0 to $5,0000.45% of all Annual Net Purchases
$5,000 to $10,000$22.50 plus 0.85% of Annual Net Purchases over $5,000
$10,000 to $17,000$65 plus 1% of Annual Net Purchases over $10,000
$17,000 or more$135 plus 1.25% of Annual Net Purchases over $17,000

Here's the direct link.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/credit_card_cash_rewards_terms

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.