Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which ones to close??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which ones to close??

Have too many accounts with high interest rates (coz i missed a payment 3 years ago on one of the accounts, which has since been closed). Now use barely 2 cards. Would like to close as many as I can and should based on expert recommendations... 

I had ~20K debt at the start of this year, but has paid off almost everything and now pay in full each month. as you can see, the old accounts which i rarely use have very high interest. 

Card

Date Opened

CL

APR/AF

Amex Costco

Mar-01

15%/0

Use this for gas on Costco 3 times a month

Amex SPG

Sep-01

(this account is closed, but still shows up as current)

Discover

Oct-01

25%/0

Use it only when using shop discover for extra cashback

Amex Delta Options II

Nov-01

15%/$0

Not Used

Amex Delta Options

Dec-01

10%$/0

Not Used

Citi Thank you

Apr-02

27%/$0

Not used

Chase United

Feb-03

27%$/0

Not used

BoA Platinum

Oct-03

26%$/0

Not used

Chase

Dec-03

27%$/0

Not used

Citi Dividend

Mar-04

27%/$0

Not used

Capital one

Jun-05

17%/$0

Not used

Banana Republic

Aug-08

15%/$0

Not Used

BoA Alaska Air Visa Sig

Mar-11

13%/$75

Most used

Wells Fargo

May-11

17%/$0

Use this for household bills

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which ones to close??

Definately don't close your oldest accounts (they increase your AAoA). If you want to close some accounts, close the newer, high interest accounts (especially if any have AFs).

Message 2 of 5
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

And another thought, closing newer accounts doesn't increase your AAoA because they keep reporting...so there really is no benefit to your CR to close any accounts and the only monetary benefit is if you close accounts with AFs.

Message 3 of 5
p-
Valued Contributor

@scientifics wrote:

And another thought, closing newer accounts doesn't increase your AAoA because they keep reporting...so there really is no benefit to your CR to close any accounts and the only monetary benefit is if you close accounts with AFs.

Except once they age off; then if your older trade lines are still open you'll see a nice jump in your AAOA.

I agree, close any AF accounts unless they are your oldest, then think about whether you can generate enough rewards to offset the fee.  If oyu have newer lines that have no value to you, maybe close them...  That grid would be much more useful if you showed the annual fees too.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Edited to add AFs.

I only pay for the Alaska Visa. But i do use the companion ticket i get each year and usually to fly to Hawaii (ticket is $400+, and companion ticket is $99 + taxes)

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.