cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which rewards cards consider Meijer a grocery purchase?

tag
Murph7

Which rewards cards consider Meijer a grocery purchase?

Right now I am using the Bank of America card with the 6 months 5x rewards.  I called and was told as long as they use a certain code, it will count as grocery.  So, hoping that Meijer does indeed count toward the 5x rewards.   The first statement hasn't come yet, but I have used it at Meijer twice to test.

I am wondering which other cards Meijer is considered grocery for higher rewards?  I am considering Amex Blue cash preferred once the 6 months on this runs out.   But, want to be sure Meijer is billed as a grocery store. I spend apx 1200 a month on groceries and 400 on gas per month, so would like to maximize rewards! 

Thanks for any help!  I have been reading for a few weeks, and this board has been very helpful!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which rewards cards consider Meijer a grocery purchase?

This may be an odd way to figure it out, but do you have an HSBC card?  Actually, I don't know if this works for their regular cards but I've used their BBRZMC to figure out how a merchant is coded.  If you charge something and then click on the charge online, it tells the merchant category.  Just a thought for people who have one and have had the same question as OP.

Message 2 of 3
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Which rewards cards consider Meijer a grocery purchase?

Like what BofA had said, it is up to Meijer to code themselves as grocery store. Otherwise it'll not be counted as grocery regardless if you are using AMEX, Citi, Discover, Chase, Wells Fargo, Pen Fed, and/or etc.

MCC code for grocery store is 5411. Therefore if Meijer use any other code instead (like 7832) it'll NOT be counted as grocery store period.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.