Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which secured cards are BK friendly?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which secured cards are BK friendly?

I already know from personal experience that Discover Secured is BK friendly. I've read varying reports of others. So, my question is who has applied and been approved post bankruptcy for any of the following. Also, include how long post BK you were when you applied, and if and when your card graduated from secured to unsecured.

Are the following BK friendly:

Bank of America Secured

Wells Fargo Secured

US Bank Secured

Thanks for your replies.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which secured cards are BK friendly?

You can't get any of those particular cards with a bk showing. I suggest trying OpenSky. I don't think they even check your credit.

Message 2 of 11
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can't get any of those particular cards with a bk showing. I suggest trying OpenSky. I don't think they even check your credit.

Not true, you have to wait a few years. I got 3 BoA cards last year with a BK showing and my mother got an unsecured card from WF also with a BK showing. My BK was 7 years old and my mom's 5 years old. So, I don't think it is impossible to get the secured ones.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen people get the BOA secured one year post filing. I also recall people getting the Wells Fargo secured around, or even before, one year post filing. I'm just looking for recent examples from the horses mouth.

Message 4 of 11
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

From what I've always heard, it seems like U.S Bank is picky on who they give their cards to and do not like bankruptcy.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just read a post at creditcard forums where a guy obtained a US Bank Secured one month after discharge. He tried to unsecure it and was told no-go until 5 years post bk.

So, here is what I know so far:

Discover Secured: Maybe, Graduates around 12 months (I got it 2 months post discharge)
US Bank Secured: Maybe, Will not graduate until 5 years post bk
BofA Secured: Maybe, Graduates around 6-12 months (12 months post discharge, likely recon needed for approval)
Wells Fargo Secured: Unknown

Message 6 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

State Department FCU has a HP for membership, but no credit check for the secured card.

The secured card would not graduate, but it's a "post-BK friendly" card since no credit check.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 11
RCFL
Frequent Contributor

Skip secured, get CapOne
Message 8 of 11
Namaste7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

To other posters who may read this thread, I do not think the above is wholly accurate. If not IIB, then:

BOA secured (partially or full): 1-2 yrs post is possible but YMMV on graduation date.

US Bank secured: As noted above can be obtained with PR reporting. No auto graduation. YMMV on eligibility for the unsecured products. 

Citi secured: 2yrs+ post BK but YMMV on graduation date

SDFCU secured: I think i've seen data points between 1-2 years. No auto graduation. YMMV on eligibility for the unsecured products. 

Discover IT secured: 0-3 yrs post but YMMV on approval if IIB and eligiblity for the unsecured products. Discover has shown no consistent pattern on profiles that get approved versus those who do not. 

Of course there are the CapOne's and lower tiered providers that offer secured products but I think the above list has the greatest rebuild potential power because it could result in a long-term relationship with the institution. 

Also a great resource 2015 Secured Card List (myfico link). 

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 9 of 11
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@RCFL wrote:
Skip secured, get CapOne

I will take a Secured Citi over ANY Cap one product 100% of the time....  Better bank and better cards imo.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.