Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

While I Was Away....

tag
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

While I Was Away....

Hello fellow credit warriors. I was away from these forums for about 2 years, and only returned a few months ago.  Is Barclays no longer around? I never see them mentioned anymore, whereas their cards used to be really popular. Another thing I noticed is that American Express changed their sign-up bonus time frames from 3 months to 6 months, which seems like a good idea. Is it a way to discourage consumer fraud, such as manufactured spending?  Also, does anyone know what happened to Diner's Club? I know they made a return to US markets a few years ago, that scores of people applied for their charge cards, and then suddenly, their website stopped accepting applications- does anyone know why? Did they ever begin accepting applications again? (I'm not interested in them myself, I just found the incident to be unusual.) 

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: While I Was Away....

Barclays is still around, but just not nearly as popular anymore. A lot of their old cards were discontinued or product changed.

Amex changed SUB time, yes. I like it. I just got a BCP and have 6 months to do $3k, which I could probably do in 3 months, but having an extra 3 is nice. Not sure what their reasons were for the change.

As for DC, I think apps were discontinued long ago. I don't know, I'm not very well versed with them, but I believe @FinStar or @K-in-Boston might know more.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Barclays is still around, but just not nearly as popular anymore. A lot of their old cards were discontinued or product changed.

Yes, they still have a wide range of cobrands (https://cards.barclaycardus.com/banking/cards ) some of which (such as American and JetBlue) do get mentioned here, but some of their most popular have gone.

SallieMae (nerfed and PCd to a less exciting product for all)

Arrival+ (nerfed and not available, but I think still around for those that had it)

Uber: (Most recent popular card.  Nerfed and then PCd to less exciting for all)

Message 3 of 23
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Barclaycard is definitely still around, they just don't have any exciting products that get talked about around here these days.

Amex began extending the timeline on their Welcome Offers at the start of the pandemic (including to recent applicants at the time).  It's not universal, though.  I just got a BBP a couple of months back and that was the standard 3 month time frame for spending.  And of course they extended the times right after I rearranged spend to hit a $20k Welcome Offer on Business Platinum!  I don't think manufactured spending had anything at all to do with it (they have introduced many other policies in recent years to help combat that), but rather it was due to uncertainly and perceptions regarding the economy, and initially rolled out as a relief measure for those that may have needed to drastically cut back spending.

Applications for new Diners Club MasterCard products ceased quite a while ago.  Existing cards are still being serviced.  True Diners Club charge cards have not existed in the US in quite a number of years.  As a brand, Diners Club still exists here and international cards are still accepted using the Discover network.

Message 4 of 23
jcooks
Established Contributor

I looked into Diners Club International, and they have some cards using the MC payment network.  Is that the same?

Message 5 of 23
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Arrival+ (nerfed and not available, but I think still around for those that had it)

Alive and kicking for remaining cardholders.    They did do some cherrypicking and included a bunch of Arrival+ cardholders as part of the bulk selloff of accounts to Mercury a couple of years ago.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 23
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@jcooks wrote:

I looked into Diners Club International, and they have some cards using the MC payment network.  Is that the same?

Yes.  They are branded as Mastercards.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 23
boosnark
Contributor

Still waiting for that Carte Blanche application to open up again. Smiley LOL

One of my biggest mistakes was to cancel my Arrival+ during the pandemic, as part of my consolidation. On hindsight I should have kept that one.

Gardening until November 1, 2023
Message 8 of 23
Rockysocks
Frequent Contributor

Hey, welcome back!!

On the other hand, the past two years have seen a few new rewards cards including, but DEFINITELY not limited to, the AOD CU 3% Visa, the US Bank Altitude Go, and the Citi Custom Cash.

Message 9 of 23
FishingGuy
Frequent Contributor

Way back in the day..... before EDC ( electronic draft capture ), when charges were processed manually/ paper based..... I loved Diners Club. 

Merchants would add up and hand in or mail their Visa / MC & Amex bills...... but received so few Diners Club transactions that they often did not process them for several months... often as much as six months later......  talk about "float"     

Ahhhh but those days are long gone....
So are two slices of pizza & a soda for $1.   and Gas @ under $1 a gallon.   ( ok  OK,  I'll stop now I sound like my Father )

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.