Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who accepts Discover?

tag
creditgambler2018
Regular Contributor

Who accepts Discover?

Almost every place accepts Visa and Mastercard - stores, online shopping, etc. What about discover? Is discover like a bank or is it like a NETWORK similar to VISA or Mastercard. Is discover accepted almost everywhere too???

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Who accepts Discover?

Most companies seem to accept Discover, from what I've noticed.

Message 2 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

Almost every place accepts Visa and Mastercard - stores, online shopping, etc. What about discover? Is discover like a bank or is it like a NETWORK similar to VISA or Mastercard. Is discover accepted almost everywhere too???

Discover is a network, and also a bank that issues cards (Amex is also both).     In the US, almost as many places accept Discover as accept MasterCard/Visa, with Amex quite a bit behind.     But this is based on number of businesses, and you may never shop at one of the small stores that doesn't accept a particular card.    But here (MA) I go to places that accept all but Amex, or all but Discover, but most big places will take all 4.

Message 3 of 32
EW800
Valued Contributor

It has been many, many years since I have experienced a business that did not take Discover.  The only exception was that I made a purchase from a small kiosk stand at a mall a few months back, finding that they could only take Visa and MasterCard.  No Amex or Discover.  Outside of that one issue, every place I go accepts Discover.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 4 of 32
baller4life
Super Contributor

I very rarely find that places don't accept Discover. It's very widely accepted. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 32
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

I used to be of the midset that I would steer clear of Discover because of their limited acceptance, but I've read that it has increased dramatically over the years. Because of the double cash promotion and all the buzz about how generous they can be with CLIs and customer service, I decided I couldn't pass them up.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 6 of 32
eddie84
Valued Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
I very rarely find that places don't accept Discover. It's very widely accepted. Smiley Happy

Yup, same here.

Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been using Disover almost exclusively since the double cash promotion started in June or July, and the only time I have been unable to use it is at Penn Station subs. Also, my DBF pays his child support via CC to get the cash back, and they don't take Discover. Other than that, all of my bills and spend go on Discover (except for groceries and gas, but that is only because I get more rewards with BCE and has nothing to do with people not accepting Discover).

#TeamDiscover

Message 8 of 32
happypill
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

Discover is a network, and also a bank that issues cards (Amex is also both).     In the US, almost as many places accept Discover as accept MasterCard/Visa, with Amex quite a bit behind.     But this is based on number of businesses, and you may never shop at one of the small stores that doesn't accept a particular card.    But here (MA) I go to places that accept all but Amex, or all but Discover, but most big places will take all 4.

That's interesting.  I always thought Amex was more widely accepted than Discover.  I guess i depends on where you are and the type of business you're doing.  Amex has its roots in business travel customers so for someone who travels frequently that's a good choice.  In my experience, non-chain restaurants are the most likely to not accept either Amex and/or Discover.

Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Out of my one year with using my Discover It, I have never had a place refuse my Discover card. That's probably because I rarely shop at mom and pop stores. 

Then again, I did have Popeyes inform me that they will not accept my American Express... 

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.