Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who gives the highest CLs?

tag
natasjlp
Regular Contributor

Who gives the highest CLs?

I am going to be applying for a new CC or 2. Does anyone know who gives the highest CLs? I know companies post for example lowest interest rates and low annual fees or low late charges etc... is there a way to tell who might give the larger CL?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: Who gives the highest CLs?

Certainly not Bank of America. I'd recommend Citi, they're pretty generous with limits and a lot of members here have their highest limit with Citi.
BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

definitely citi. gave me a 2500 limit as a student with NO history on the platinum select. now at 9700 a year and a half later.

Message 3 of 15
nicemann
Established Contributor

@smc733 wrote:
Certainly not Bank of America. I'd recommend Citi, they're pretty generous with limits and a lot of members here have their highest limit with Citi.

Why not Bank of America?  It's a crap shot like anything else.  I currently have 25k worth of CL with them.  Yeah I've been with a couple of years but they were the first to give me credit after I defaulted on a lot of cards when I was younger.  They are currently my highest CL with PenFed coming in second at $17,500.

Message 4 of 15
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Some credit unions are giving high credit limits.

Message 5 of 15
smc733
Valued Contributor

@nicemann

Well that's definitely a case of YMMV, but from what I've gathered from a LOT of the chatter here on the FICO forums, BofA is often times the LOWEST CL people have, if not, I've still rarely heard of it being someone's highest CL.  BofA has lost a lot of money on credit cards in previous years, so they've had to tighten up considerably.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 6 of 15
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@smc733 wrote:

@nicemann

Well that's definitely a case of YMMV, but from what I've gathered from a LOT of the chatter here on the FICO forums, BofA is often times the LOWEST CL people have, if not, I've still rarely heard of it being someone's highest CL.  BofA has lost a lot of money on credit cards in previous years, so they've had to tighten up considerably.

In all honesty, it really varies from person to person. My highest CL is with FIA (a desk service for BoA). My CITI Dividends Plat is my lowest CL among my major bank cards. However, CITI is the only one giving me auto CLIs on a regular basis. IMO, things are so crazy in the credit markets today its very hard to know what is really going on.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

My highest initial CL's were all with CU's or an FSB.

1.  NFCU -  $25k Visa, $15k LOC

2.  USAA -  $20k MC,  $20k Amex

3.  PSECU - $20k Visa/LOC combo

txjohn

Message 8 of 15
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Our highest CLs are with Barclays  Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 9 of 15
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

My highest CL is Discover at $10,000. They started me at $8,000 in October 2008 when my highest was Juni at $3,000.

I did the Discover phone request October 2009 and got bumped to the $10,000. Tried the phone request in May this year and got the CSR who said any increase would require Credit Analyst and hard pull. So, looks like we're going to be at $10,000 for awhile.

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.