cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who has pushed past $35k w/Amex w/o IV?

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Who has pushed past $35k w/Amex w/o IV?

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:
BBS, yes $48k. Current is $16k. Never got too overly concerned with Amex revolving lines until the SPG which I just got this year. Now that it's my daily driver it's in my long term goals to have that as one of the very large lines I will ultimately slim down to. The most I have been brave enough to ask for on Check My Spending Ability on my Platinum card is $75k and that was approved so I'm hopeful. Themanwhocan if they cap me at 2/3 of my income I am going to be thrilled!!!

Ah I gotcha, you went for a 3X CLI.  I would imagine trying for $105k when you have a $35k limit would generate some solid laughs from the Amex computer on the other end.

How does the whole check spending ability thing work?  I know nothing about it and what it's for.  Can it somehow be used as an indicator for CLI potential?

Sorry for the long delay in responding to this; somehow I missed it.  I did indeed go for 3x and will try again next week when the 181 days have really come and gone.  If I get $48k, I'll let you know in January if the computer laughs when I ask for my credit line to be increased to $144,000.  (I would probably be okay with a $100k counter-offer but knowing my luck they'll counter with $99,900 and I'll have one of those austinguy experiences of trying to get it rounded off.  LOL)

So, Check Spending Ability has been available for charge cards as long as I can remember.  With a NPSL you never want to be embarassed when making a large purchase, so it was an easy way to say "Hey, Amex I'd like to make a charge for $12,000 today." and Amex would say "Sure, not a problem.  Make the charge and we'll approve it." or "Whoa there, you better find another job before trying to spend that kind of dough!"  Amex revolvers also have the flexible spending feature that the original Visa Signature cards did (I think all of my VS/WMC/WEMC cards do), where if your credit line is $15,000 they may allow you to spend $25,000 one month, knowing that your minimum payment at the following statement would be the $10,000 you went over the limit by plus the normal minimum payment that would have been due for $15,000 ($150,  $300, whatever).  The button is an easy way to determine this prior to making the purchase and also lessens the likelihood of a very large purchase being flagged by Amex for security reasons.  Recently when Amex changed their app to have the direct Platinum CSR and concierge buttons added in (it's like CSP/CSR where they greet you by name when you call doing that), it was pointed out that many people when using the Check My Spending Ability button were getting "Yes, we will approve your charge of $15,000.  In fact, we'll approve up to $25,000." messages.  That 2nd amount wasn't necessarily the real spending cap, though.  I tried $50k and it said it was approved but didn't tell me I could spend more.  Later I tried $75k and it was still approved.  Pooka stated that it's a button you can use from time to time, but it's not a good idea to play around with it a lot.  Also, Amex will lock your account for security reasons if you kept immediately trying for higher and higher amounts one after the other since they may think someone has stolen your card and online account and are just trying to figure out how much they can charge.  FWIW, Amex's confidence in my ability to repay $75k+ in one month far exceeds my own confidence in my ability to repay that quickly - it's more than twice my P.O.T. limit.

Message 41 of 51
Involver
Valued Contributor

I'm now over 50k without ever having to document income.

Message 42 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Involver wrote:

On a single card or across multiple cards?  Can you provide more info such as the length of time you've had your card (if it's a single card) or length of Amex history, spend/payment patterns each month, EX 08 score, income, etc?  Thanks for any data you can provide.

Message 43 of 51
Involver
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Involver wrote:

On a single card or across multiple cards?  Can you provide more info such as the length of time you've had your card (if it's a single card) or length of Amex history, spend/payment patterns each month, EX 08 score, income, etc?  Thanks for any data you can provide.

Single card, opened 03/2014.  Starting CL $2k.  Spend between 6-10k per year, income low 6 fig.  EX08 is currently 809.

Message 44 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Involver wrote:

Single card, opened 03/2014.  Starting CL $2k.  Spend between 6-10k per year, income low 6 fig.  EX08 is currently 809.

Thanks for that info.  If you also wouldn't mind could you list out your CLIs (if you can recall them) that took you from your $2k SL to > $50k current limit?  If my math serves me correctly, you could have received a maximum of 6 CLIs during that time, if you requested one every 180 days (following a 61+ day request after opening the account).  I'm curious if you took CLIs all 6 times, or if you missed a few in there but still got large CLIs the times you did take them.  Thanks!

Message 45 of 51
Involver
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Involver wrote:

Thanks for that info.  If you also wouldn't mind could you list out your CLIs (if you can recall them) that took you from your $2k SL to > $50k current limit?  If my math serves me correctly, you could have received a maximum of 6 CLIs during that time, if you requested one every 180 days (following a 61+ day request after opening the account).  I'm curious if you took CLIs all 6 times, or if you missed a few in there but still got large CLIs the times you did take them.  Thanks!

I believe it was 2 - 6 - 18 - 25 - 40 - 49.5 - 55  (I didnt write any of it down).  Every 180 days to the day after the 61.

Message 46 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Involver wrote:

I believe it was 2 - 6 - 18 - 25 - 40 - 49.5 - 55  (I didnt write any of it down).  Every 180 days to the day after the 61.

Great information, thanks for that!  It seems your first two CLIs were pretty standard of the 3X variety.  I'm most intrigued by by your last 3 though, as you moved past the $35k ceiling that many seem to hit and did so with fairly strong CLIs, not just a couple grand each.  This gives me some hope for my next request next month!

Message 47 of 51
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Quick Q Involver, were those later 4 counter-offers or actual CLI requests? Pertinent to my interest, as I'm the crazy one that would have tried 54 on the 18 and 120 on the 40.
Message 48 of 51
Involver
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:
Quick Q Involver, were those later 4 counter-offers or actual CLI requests? Pertinent to my interest, as I'm the crazy one that would have tried 54 on the 18 and 120 on the 40.

Up to 40k were all requests .. I started to slow down the growth at that point.  49.5k and 55 were both counter offers.  I believe the 49.5k was a counter to 60 and 55 was a counter to 60 as well.  I think I've about hit my ceiling with Amex, lol.

Message 49 of 51
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@PrimeRate wrote:

50K on my Everyday card from various increases and one reallocation. NO IV. 15k on a Simply Cash Plus Biz card.

Can you provide more information surrounding your experience here?  How long did you have the ED card, what was the SL and how many CLIs did it take you to get it to where it ended up?  How much was the reallocation and from what limit to what limit?  What was your monthly spend and payment pattern (PIF?) and if you don't mind sharing it, what was your income since the discussion above has started comparing Amex limits to income.  Thanks for any info you can provide here!

Sorry for the delay. Hope this helps. 

• I've had the Everyday Card for 3 years.
  • AMEX Cardholder since 2007
  • CLI's took me from 24.5k SL to 37.5k.
  • Reallocation from older BlueCash was for 12.5k.
  • Monthly spend is around 2.5-3k.
  • I have some months where via job reimbursement, I spend anywhere from 25-30k.
  • I always PIF.
  • The total line is about 42% if my income. 
☮ & ❤
Message 50 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.