cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who here has the AmEx Clear Card and do you have Excellent Credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who here has the AmEx Clear Card and do you have Excellent Credit?

I was just reading some reviews on this card and heres something I ran across.........

Credit card review:

A unique reward card that carrys absolutely no fees of any kind, the American Express Clear card is designed for those with excellent credit.

I'm just wondering who here has the Clear and if you do, do you have "Excellent Credit"?

Just a little survey, as I'm waiting on my re-review from AmEx on my Clear app from 5/2/11 which I was declined because of a CO that was listed on my EX report, that is now gone.

I was declined for these reasons

1. The negative listing (CO) on my EX report.

2. My EX score was too low.

3. Lack of Installment Loan(s)

I have sent AmEx copies of all three of my current reports, which are now perfectly clean

1. No more negative listings

2. My EX score had to go way up (My TU went from 727 to 784, and EQ from 700 to 774 after the CO was removed, so I would assume my EX score went up past the 760 mark as well, I'm thinking even higher because my EX and TU reports are almost identical)

3. My EQ report shows that I do have an Installment Loan (My Car Loan 15 months old, perfect pmnt history)

So I believe I have met all the criteria that AmEx had initially declined me for.

But, my question is still this........

Has anyone been approved for this Clear CC with less than "Excellent Credit"?

I'm going to say yes, I'm willing to bet someone will post here that they were approved for this card with scores in the high 600's, just a guess on my part, but I just would really like to know first hand.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Who here has the AmEx Clear Card and do you have Excellent Credit?

I believe AMEX Clear is tougher to get in, likely even tougher than Blue Cash/Blue Sky. If you look up terms for AMEX Clear you'll see that it does not charge any fee (except foreign transaction fee).

There is no over limit fee, cash advance fee, late fee, balance transfer fee, etc. I highly doubt AMEX will let high 600s hop in on this card. Most likely mid 700s.

Message 2 of 15
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

What's the advantage of having the Clear vs. Preferred?

I would think the preferred has more perks as a daily PIF CC.

Message 3 of 15
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Which Preferred? Preferred Blue Cash or Preferred Blue Sky?

AMEX Clear is a good card if you do cash advance from time to time, as it does not charge cash advance fee. Keep it mind it STILL charges cash advance APR, which starts from day 1.

Message 4 of 15
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Clear card and I'm in the 800 club. I originally had a Blue card and I converted it to a Clear card more than two years ago.

Message 5 of 15
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

If I've been approved for the Amex SPG.....would I be approve for the Amex Blue Cash Everyday card?

If YES, what is the best way to app for this CC? Immediately, or wait 6 months to let Amex see my usage on the SPG card.

Message 6 of 15
lenz99
New Contributor

I got the Clear card on May 2010. My credit was clean with no baddies but way from excellent. Only 2 CCs at that time, total $1300 CL. Oldest acct was less than 2 year. Didn't know the score but should be in high 600s. I also read other people were able to get the Clear card with similar score.

But why go with Clear now? unless you're about to do lots of cash advance......otherwise, Bluecash everyday has much better rewards.

btw, anyone was able to PC from Clear to the new Bluecash card?

Message 7 of 15
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@lenz99 wrote:

I got the Clear card on May 2010. My credit was clean with no baddies but way from excellent. Only 2 CCs at that time, total $1300 CL. Oldest acct was less than 2 year. Didn't know the score but should be in high 600s. I also read other people were able to get the Clear card with similar score.

But why go with Clear now? unless you're about to do lots of cash advance......otherwise, Bluecash everyday has much better rewards.

btw, anyone was able to PC from Clear to the new Bluecash card?

I agree, the Bluecash would be the only other Amex CC I would try to get.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already have the Blue Cash (apped 3/28/11 before the Preferred came out) then I really wanted the BC Preferred but I had to wait 90 days to apply (found this out after I apped 4/29/11) I actually did apply for the BC Preferred 4/29/11 and was approved and when I called the next day for my CL, I was told that I couldn't be approved for the Blue Cash Preferred because I had just apped for the Blue Cash 30 days ago, so the rep cancelled the BCP app and sent a suppression to EX to have the inq removed (which it was).

I was torn between the Gold and the Clear and I chose the Clear, I do not plan on doing cash advances, but its still a good card and its an AmEx so it will be backdated to 91, so its a win win for me if I'm approved.

Was supposed to have an answer today, but when I called she said another 24-48 hours.

Message 9 of 15
slarano
Frequent Contributor

So, what would be the "easiest" AMEX Blue card to get? I'm hoping to app for one in the next 6-12 months or so.

ImageImageImage

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.