cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is/are your favorite cc issuer(s) or lender(s)?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Who is/are your favorite cc issuer(s) or lender(s)?

NFCU for the incredible limit and APR they gave me. Also love the customer service. Their reps are so incredibly nice, well-spoken, and knowledgeable. It's actually not painful to call them.

Chase. CSP is an awesome card for me. Got Freedom and CSP off a double pull on EX and EQ, so a card for each pull is great when you're just flirting with 700. They also gave me a limit to match my NFCU card. And the CSP line blows Amex customer service out of the water. An immediate live person who is armed with more than canned responses beats the pants off of Amex's generally off-shore based, sweet but I'll-prepared reps. At least in my experience. Not that I HATE Amex, just pretty underwhelmed with them when compared to Chase and NFCU in almost every respect.
Message 21 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How are they kicking you when you're down? *by keeping you in your place. instead of saying NO like many other banks they say yes, and I believe even reps or friends of reps have spoken here about how much they love the folks that carry multiple cards*

I'm still not understanding your point here.  If they say yes instead of no, how does this keep you in your place?  If they love people with multiple cards, I can see how this doesn't stop people from potentially getting into credit card debt but it's not a bank's job to teach you self-control (and this also doesn't appear to have anything to do with keeping you in your place).

And that last part...do you have any proof that having Capital One on your credit report negatively impacts other banks' view of your profile? *When did I ever say that?????????????????*

I assumed that's what you meant when you said "it gets to the point where no other bank will take you"; if not then what did you mean by that?

@Anonymous wrote:

I just get offended everytime I see the Venture commercial with Jennifer Garner. The uninformed consumer thinks its a fabulous deal. They dont even realize they are paying an annual fee for a 2% card that is restricted when there are others that arent and have no AF...... then they get a huge limit in the mail and don't even realize how much they are spending on interest and how its negating their rewards.

Cards dont have to be extremists in particular areas. They can be well rounded and more flexible.

You're assuming that all customers will immediately spend up to whatever limit they're given, and that they'll be carrying a balance, and that they'd use their card irresponsibly.  And even if they did, how is this the bank's fault?  It's everyone's own job to learn self-control.  Also, I would say Capital One is the opposite of extremists; they don't have any category bonus cards, and their cashback card gives a medium/medium-high % back but they balance that with no FTF, which actually makes it a very well-balanced and flexible card.

@Anonymous wrote: 

I did not mean to offend you the way I did.  But believe me, the world would not end without Capital One.

This can be said of literally any lender; all of them have their advantages and disadvantages.

jfriend33 wrote: I am just saying things out there to the world that I wish I would have known before associating myself with them.

There's nothing wrong with wishing you had known more, but your entire post makes it seem like Capital One's out to get you or that they're doing something super sneaky that no other lender is doing, which just isn't true.

Message 22 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

My favorite lender is Capital One, but mostly because I like Jennifer Garner and Samuel JacksonSmiley Wink

Message 23 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How are they kicking you when you're down? *by keeping you in your place. instead of saying NO like many other banks they say yes, and I believe even reps or friends of reps have spoken here about how much they love the folks that carry multiple cards*

I'm still not understanding your point here.  

Ditto

If they say yes instead of no, how does this keep you in your place?  If they love people with multiple cards, I can see how this doesn't stop people from potentially getting into credit card debt but it's not a bank's job to teach you self-control (and this also doesn't appear to have anything to do with keeping you in your place).

No,of course it's not the banks job. But this is almost like a bottom feeder mentality. Yet for their better customers, same treatment. 

And that last part...do you have any proof that having Capital One on your credit report negatively impacts other banks' view of your profile? *When did I ever say that?????????????????*

I assumed that's what you meant when you said "it gets to the point where no other bank will take you"; if not then what did you mean by that?

Beacause of so many inquiries etc

@Anonymous wrote:

I just get offended everytime I see the Venture commercial with Jennifer Garner. The uninformed consumer thinks its a fabulous deal. They dont even realize they are paying an annual fee for a 2% card that is restricted when there are others that arent and have no AF...... then they get a huge limit in the mail and don't even realize how much they are spending on interest and how its negating their rewards.

Cards dont have to be extremists in particular areas. They can be well rounded and more flexible.

You're assuming that all customers will immediately spend up to whatever limit they're given

When did i say that? 

, and that they'll be carrying a balance, and that they'd use their card irresponsibly.  And even if they did, how is this the bank's fault?  It's everyone's own job to learn self-control.  

I disagree with you there. A bank should always have transparency, and s all their glitz and glam commercials steer away from that. Who in their right mind pays an annual fee for a 2% card but locks you into one category for full value redemption? 

Also, I would say Capital One is the opposite of extremists; they don't have any category bonus cards, and their cashback card gives a medium/medium-high % back but they balance that with no FTF, which actually makes it a very well-balanced and flexible card.

@Anonymous wrote: 

I did not mean to offend you the way I did.  But believe me, the world would not end without Capital One.

This can be said of literally any lender; all of them have their advantages and disadvantages.

jfriend33 wrote: I am just saying things out there to the world that I wish I would have known before associating myself with them.

There's nothing wrong with wishing you had known more, but your entire post makes it seem like Capital One's out to get you or that they're doing something super sneaky that no other lender is doing, which just isn't true.

Show me another lender that triple pulls. Or makes you pay an annual fee for a 2% card but redeems for less if not travel? Also show me where there are more lenders than not that don't do APR reductions (a few exceptions). 

You seem awfully hell bent on defending them yet you don't even have one card in your signature. What'sWhat's up with that? I am done beating this dead horse.  Believe me I am not the only member here that thinks capital one needs to better align their behavior. To me they are a lost cause and a last resort. 

Message 24 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lets see,

Cap One QS for being my oldest TL.

NFCU and USAA for promoting me out of the toy limit club.

My home state's finance authority for a 50% Mortgage Credit Certificate.

Message 25 of 50
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

Just to start off:  my own personal faves would have to be BoA, FNBO, Cap1, Barclays, and Citi.  I have had very good experiences with all of the above.

ETA:  added Barclays to the list

At the moment I'd have to say Capital One (and not just because I have the most credit with them), but I have not had the chance to qualify for Amex, Chase Marriott, and a few other cards I want. As of today here's why:

1) They give you an unsecured chance when no one else would, with the exception of predators like Credit Dumb and Fees Premiere.

2) I NEVER have to worry about AA from them. I haven't been in this game long, but haven't read on here that Capital One slashed someones credit because they spent too much, or (insert reason) here.

3) All their CLI's are SP and you could ask daily if you really wanted to.

4) They do give large CLI's to people who shouldn't have them, myself included. (I mean that regarding that I can't get in with AMEX and others right now, nor have huge limits with another bank). In all honesty I deserve a $9348475289346759872645987640587610348752035 limit, but that's another story!

5) The cards just work, and I never have to worry about it being declined. 

6) They are easy to PC or get fees removed, usually.

7) They are accepted everywhere. There actually a few places around here that do not accept discover.

That's it for now. I guess the only gripe I'd have is the triple pulls, but I think inquiries aren't really important unless you're putting dozens of them on your report at one time. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 26 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If they say yes instead of no, how does this keep you in your place?  If they love people with multiple cards, I can see how this doesn't stop people from potentially getting into credit card debt but it's not a bank's job to teach you self-control (and this also doesn't appear to have anything to do with keeping you in your place).

No,of course it's not the banks job. But this is almost like a bottom feeder mentality. Yet for their better customers, same treatment. 

Without knowing everyone's exact profile, it's impossible to say which are their "better" customers.  And they do differentiate: not everyone gets the same limits or APR on approval.  Not everyone gets approved for multiple cards.

@Anonymous wrote:

Beacause of so many inquiries etc

No one gets rejected based on one additional inquiry unless you were a borderline case already; there are plenty of people with dozens of inquiries who still get approved for not just Capital One but other cards.  Inquiries also disappear in 2 years, plus the fact that if you actually get approved by Capital One you get another card with which to show your creditworthiness, in which case you might not need to apply for another card.

@Anonymous wrote:

I disagree with you there. A bank should always have transparency, and s all their glitz and glam commercials steer away from that.

Are their commercials catchy?  Absolutely!  Are they supposed to be to attract customers? Absolutely!  They do a good job advertising, and I don't see why that should be held against them.  They're just as transparent as any other lender; one could argue even more transparent, especially with regards to rewards (ease of redemption, no minimum, speed of points posting).

@Anonymous wrote:

Show me another lender that triple pulls. Or makes you pay an annual fee for a 2% card but redeems for less if not travel? Also show me where there are more lenders than not that don't do APR reductions (a few exceptions). 

I'll give you the triple pulls, but we already talked about how that can be avoided.  The Arrival Plus has very similar rewards redemptions, and both cards are popular.  They may not be right for you, but there are people who can use it well (e.g., anyone who spends a lot internationally cheaply and wants to avoid paying FTF; I say cheaply since if you prefer premium travel then there's a good chance transferrable rewards cards like CSP/TYP are betters suited for you).  As for showing where there are more lenders than not, all you're saying is that the minority doesn't do APR reductions, which is true but it's not like CapOne is the only one.  Most general spend cards with high rewards have a FTF, so one could argue that advantage balances out the other disadvantage.

@Anonymous wrote:

You seem awfully hell bent on defending them yet you don't even have one card in your signature. What'sWhat's up with that? I am done beating this dead horse.  Believe me I am not the only member here that thinks capital one needs to better align their behavior. To me they are a lost cause and a last resort. 

You don't need to have a card to be able to read their T&C, or look on forums to gather more information about how a lender works.  I'm sure you're not the only one, but there are also plenty of other people who are very happy with Capital One (even in this thread!)  If you expect them to come out with the undeniably best card ever just to win you over ("Give the person a real limit, axe the 6 month cli clock, be more willing to remove AF's and lower APR's, and come out with some better rewards cards.  Then we will talk." basically means you want a card that literally has zero drawbacks, which no lender will ever offer) then I'm sorry I guess they'll never get you.

I'm not trying to sell you on Capital One being the best lender; I just don't think they're any worse than most of the other options.  I'm willing (and happy, actually! Smiley Happy) to debate because I don't mind changing my view depending on any experiences that I read about, but if you're stuck on them being the worst of the worst then I guess I will have to respectfully disagree.

Message 27 of 50
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Not sure if I have a favorite. I have a bunch of them I like. Penfed,USAA, Amex, Capital One, NASA, BBVA and Chase(didn't start out that way) they've warmed up to me lately.

Message 28 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm not trying to sell you on Capital One being the best lender; I just don't think they're any worse than most of the other options.  I'm willing (and happy, actually! Smiley Happy) to debate because I don't mind changing my view depending on any experiences that I read about, but if you're stuck on them being the worst of the worst then I guess I will have to respectfully disagree.

Fair enough. Happy holidays!

Message 29 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@galahad15 wrote:

Just to start off:  my own personal faves would have to be BoA, FNBO, Cap1, Barclays, and Citi.  I have had very good experiences with all of the above.

ETA:  added Barclays to the list

CapitalOne is definitely my favorite.  I think it's awesome they'll give people with less than stellar credit a chance, especially with Credit Steps rewarding good behavior with regular increases.  They were there for me and many others when no one else was.  Their rewards may not be top of the line, but at least it's something and they're very easy to use.

AmEx has great products so I thought I would love them, but I've been more disappointed than impressed.

Message 30 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.