cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is more conservative American Express or Chase?

tag
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Who is more conservative American Express or Chase?

At 5 years old, I'd let them ride the last two years. 

Both have likely been sold off for pennies on the dollar to a collection agency.

So there's a greater chance. You aren't paying the original creditor anyways. 

In two years they'll drop off. And you'll have a clean slate.

Throw that cash in a high yield savings account and let it grow. 

24 months will go by in flash!

I've had similar baddies on my credit years back.

You wouldn't know it now. 

Amex is undoubtedly the easier to work with of those two creditors. Don't forget about the multitude of other lenders out there either. 

Message 11 of 44
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

Hi Everyone 

Thank goodness for this forum because it's a great place to learn and grow. Have a couple questions if you don't mind.

I have two unpaid charge offs on my credit file. I'm in the process of deciding if paying them off now or 24 months later would be the best course of action.

I have a $1900 Chase card and a $20K Honda car loan. Both are 5 years old closed and charged off. I owe the money so I definitely want to pay them back. More than likely a lump sum payoff. My question is this,  would American Express approve me with a entry level charge or credit card with two older daddies on my credit report.  Ordinarily I wouldn't ask this question. 

But just recently I went on the American Express website and attempted a pre-approval for their green card. I was denied but....only because my fico score was too low was the response.  Current score is in the 650s. But I've heard that a 680 might be that threshold for approval.

What's your opinion on my odds? Have you seen people with older baddies get approved for a entry card?

If so which cards do I have the best chance of getting with a 680 ish score? 

Obviously I burnt Chase and I will pay them back. Do you believe Chase or American Express is tougher to get approved for a entry card with older unpaid charge offs on my credit file? Based on the information from this forum it's more than likely I'm on the blacklist with Chase. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post. It really does matter. 

In general, Amex is less tough than Chase.

And yes, you're definitely on Chase's blacklist.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 12 of 44
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

Although I will say the Capital One SavorOne rewards card and the Venture cards do appear to be a higher end option among the subprime companies.  In fact I plan to keep the SavorOne card no matter what. 

Another reason is ease of use while traveling internationally.  That is a major factor for me.  

It seems to be a common misconception CapOne is a "Subprime" lender; the truth is they pretty much cover the spectrum of subprime, prime, and premium cards.  Like you I am a fan of my SavorOne card and plan on keeping it regardless of what else I have in my wallet.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 13 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Trigger warning: Not for those with good moral feelings.

SInce this is a sort of financial forum, I suggest approaching this with a "cold" point of view.    You are talking about ~ $22K, which is sort of "real money" for many!    So, if you repay this fairly large sum of  money, what is the return?

1) Possibly at some point an Amex.   They are very unlikely to give you a card until you pay them off.

2) Probably much further down the road, if at all, a Chase card.

As @wasCB14 says, there are other good lenders out there who will be happy to give you cards once the COs go from your report, without any need to pay back.

So, unless Amex is really $22K better than the alternatives, on a purely risk/reward analysis, that would suggest not paying back.

Then the emotional/moral stuff comes in, you owe the money... But, so what?  If it's not collectible.   These huge institutions don't miss the money nearly as much as you will if you pay it.

Message 14 of 44
markbeiser
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Then the emotional/moral stuff comes in, you owe the money... But, so what?  If it's not collectible.   These huge institutions don't miss the money nearly as much as you will if you pay it.

I agree, if they have not already sued and gotten judgements, it's been 5 years, 2 more years isn't that much longer to wait for them to fall off reports forever.
It may be possible to get back in with Chase by settling just the debt owed to them, but there are so many good options in the credit card world that you can go your whole life without a Chase product and not miss anything but maybe 5% cashback at Whole Foods on a no annual fee card.

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 15 of 44
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Hi at this point the chase ccredit card account has been sold off chase could care less if you pay it off. If you want to do what is right then you could pay it off but chase will not get the money ther is no way that chase would take the money you would be told to talk to who ever has the debt at this point. I would would ride it out, Chase will not let back for long time. Amex's hold ther bad debt and does not sell it. I burnt Chase back around 2000's and just now I see that I have pre approved and all ready approved for new accounts. If you have not burnt Amex then you will have better chance of getting a creditcard from Amex then Chase. Only you know what right thing is to due, but paying the charge offs will only put money in colection co not chase. Good luck.

Message 16 of 44
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Trigger warning: Not for those with good moral feelings.

SInce this is a sort of financial forum, I suggest approaching this with a "cold" point of view.    You are talking about ~ $22K, which is sort of "real money" for many!    So, if you repay this fairly large sum of  money, what is the return?

1) Possibly at some point an Amex.   They are very unlikely to give you a card until you pay them off.

2) Probably much further down the road, if at all, a Chase card.

As @wasCB14 says, there are other good lenders out there who will be happy to give you cards once the COs go from your report, without any need to pay back.

So, unless Amex is really $22K better than the alternatives, on a purely risk/reward analysis, that would suggest not paying back.

I want to piggyback off this. While the reporting of the debt may have a time limit, depending on your jurisdiction, simply acknowledging the debt, like trying to negotiate and settle, could restart the SoL. If you live where this is legal, and they don't like your offer, you could end up paying a lot more than you thought. I would leave it alone.

As for Amex, it's not unheard of for them to approve a charge card or cobranded card with scores in the 630s and I've even seen as low as the 610s. Core cards will require you to be about 700. Obviously the current economy will factor in to the decision, but there may be more to the story. 

As for derogatories, when Amex approved my first delta, I had something like 12 derogatory accounts with like 7 or 8 charge offs and collections. That was in 2018. The last 4 just fell off in the last few months leaving 2 derogatory accounts due to lates, which will come off within the next year. So, they have no issues approving with derogatories, but they've kept me on a short leash. Chase will approve with older derogatories, but you'll pay with lower limits. Since they HP everything, I've decided to wait until I'm clean to get a decent limit off the bat. I don't want to waste HPs trying to grow a freedom with 500-1000 limit when waiting a year could start me in the 5k range. 

Message 17 of 44
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Hello Gmood1

Awesome input thank you for sharing your journey.  There are so many lurkers reading these boards. I was one of them before joining back in 2012, if I remember the date correctly.  You and others on this forum believe it or not are changing lives. Amazing when we think about it like that.

I'm very torn between doing the right thing that takes in consideration myself and the company who is willing to offer their services, versus just trying to protect myself.  Even if I were to suspend my natural tendency of wanting to do the right thing, my fear is it would backfire on me. 

Because there are two more years remaining before those baddies fall off my credit report, there is a good chance they could be sold to a different collection agency.  Wouldn't that be a real risk to take?

And if I want to get back in with Chase bank at some point it will be necessary to address the situation. 

You mentioned other lenders out there. What other lenders are excellent for those individuals who may need to travel internationally? 

In about a year there is a strong chance that I will be splitting up the year living in France and the States. It would be great to have cards that would work well in that new reality.  

Thanks 

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 18 of 44
markbeiser
Established Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

Because there are two more years remaining before those baddies fall off my credit report, there is a good chance they could be sold to a different collection agency.  Wouldn't that be a real risk to take?

The debt being sold to a collection agency doesn't change when it will fall off your credit report.

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 19 of 44
Aim_High
Super Contributor

You've gotten good feedback so far, @MountainHiker.

No one has asked what I thought was the obvious question.

@MountainHiker wrote:

I have two unpaid charge offs on my credit file ... I have a $1900 Chase card and a $20K Honda car loan. Both are 5 years old closed and charged off. I owe the money so I definitely want to pay them back ... 

Others have assumed that you owe the $20K from the car loan.  However, I find this unlikely unless you were way upside down on the loan or you managed to evade repossession of the car.  Normally, in a car loan default, the lender will repo the car, sell it, and you'll only be responsible for the difference in debt versus sales price plus any repo and storage fees.  So do you somehow actually owe the full $20K???

Also, who financed this car loan?  Was it also Chase? AMEX doesn't do auto loans. 

Either way, I agree that trying to pay off the charge-offs now could be messy and is best left alone, unfortunately.  Water under the bridge, but there are many other lenders out there that will work with you.

I agree with above that AMEX is probably going to go easier on you than Chase.  With AMEX cards, the co-branded cards like Delta, Hilton, Marriott are often the easiest to get approved, so you might even stand a chance where you are now.  The charge cards (Green-Gold-Platinum) come next, maybe between about 650 to 700 FICO+.  And their most difficult underwriting comes on the core revolvers like Blue Cash/Preferred, Everyday/Preferred, Cash Magnet.   For those, I'd recommend 700+.   Chase, in-general, doesn't do a lot of approvals sub-700 even without baddies.  And in your case with Chase charge-offs, it may be quite awhile until they take you back. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.