Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who will approve me?!

tag
creditchick
Established Member

Re: Who will approve me?!

Got it! I'll for sure pay it off in full next month (already paid for July) and then keep it at $0. They always tell me it's just not "available" but since I'm shy, I get nervous and accept the answer. I'll try a few months with a $0 balance and then work up some courage :-).

3/3 - 670 Transunion
4/26 - 686 Equifax

3/4/12 - 736 Transunion
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm probably not as knowledgable as many on here but I'm also early 20's and I've built pretty stellar credit just by paying every balance in full on time, every time. Always treat them like a debit card. Take it easy on the applications for a while. Building takes time. Do very well with what you have for a while and retry in 6 months to a year and keep it reasonable.
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hotcakes is correct, pay in full but don't keep it at 0 and not use it then you've got no payment history, you got a chance to build your credit good I wish I had this site when I was 20 years old. 

Don't be late on any payments ever and your credit is your world from this point forward so be catious of getting into debt, I had to learn it all the hard way and 10 years of denials sucks bad.

Message 13 of 22
creditchick
Established Member

Never missed a payment!! And I don't plan on it :-). I'll work on getting my cards down to $0 and then paying reasonable amounts in full each month. I guess I'll do this for a few months and then see where it can get me!

3/3 - 670 Transunion
4/26 - 686 Equifax

3/4/12 - 736 Transunion
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

And when you call just use a backdoor number to get around the front end people and tell them it's ridiculous you cannot get an increase so you can use the card more.

Good luck and remember 1 late is 7 years long it's the crappiest 7 years ever !

Message 15 of 22
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@creditchick wrote:
Hi all! So I'm back again and looking to figure out a good credit card APPROVAL plan. I'm tired of getting denied!! Here's my story.. I earn about $20K per year myself but have direct access to a household income of about $250K per year. I currently have two credit cards and two charge cards. Capital One (Opened in 2007, my oldest card) - $178.35 owed out of $300.00 (they refuse to raise my limit, sigh) American Express Green Charge (Opened in May 2010) - No pre-set limit. I charge at least $500 per month and it is paid in full as it is a charge. Victorias Secret (Opened in July 2010) - $478.39 owed out of $1020.00 (I started at $500, went to $800, and now $1020.. all done automatically) Bloomingdales Store Card (Opened in October 2010) - $79.46 owed. This card started out as a credit card and was moved to a charge card. I have never, ever missed a payment, no collections, no loans, no mortgage/rent payments. My transunion fico was 715 in June. I have paid down each card a little since then. I have no pulls on my Transunion and no pulls on my Equifax. My Experian will show the pulls from Amex, Victorias Secret, Bloomingdales, and then two denials, one from the end of 2010 (Amex Blue) and one from early 2011, January I believe which was a Neiman Marcus store card. I'm interested in the following cards.. Nordstrom Store Card, JcPenney Store Card, Chase Freedom, and I'd like to obtain a regular Visa/MC/Discover but not sure which one. What would you all suggest and what steps should I take now to avoid a denial when I apply in a few months? Obviously I will not be using my cards, only paying them off. I hope to apply in September/October some time.

If your transunion fico was 715 you should try app'ing for a barclays card (they do pull TU).  They have some rewards cards as well as regular visa and mastercards.  But wait until some of the inquiries have aged and your balances are lower.  And if you do apply and get denied, call a back door number, they are great with recons.  But then do not apply for any new credit until you have a good relationship established with them.   

Getting your balances lower will help give you a score boost.  Pay them all to zero BUT one and let just a small balance less than 9% report on that one card before you apply for any new credit.  Just to make sure, your TU fico score is the score you got from this site right? 

JcPenny is through GEMB and they are pretty lenient when giving out cards.  Once your balances are down and your scores come up, you should have very little problems getting a JcP card.  And I think GEMB typically pulls EQ...someone please correct me if I'm wrong. 

I don't have a Cap1 card, but from what I read on the forums, depending on the card you have (ie rebuilder type, secured turned unsecured) it may never grow.  There are certain credit programs that just never grow with you.  You will probably have to apply for a different Cap1 card at a later time or try for a PC. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 16 of 22
importking

GEMB pulls according to the state. JCPenney/GEMB pulled TU here in Texas. But, I have seen them pull EQ in other states.

Starting Score: 529
Current Score: 664
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

they pull from transunion here in NY as well

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

And when you call just use a backdoor number to get around the front end people and tell them it's ridiculous you cannot get an increase so you can use the card more.

Hmm. As the OP can read in many threads, Cap 1 is not CLI friendly. Many of us tried to get info, but they never oblige. At some point they may give you an unexpected CLI when it really no longer matters for you.

The best thing to do is pay it down to $ 0, stop using it regularly, and use your other card. As you can read around here, the best thing is to pay part of your charges before the statement cuts, so it will report between 1-9% of the CL. When you receive the statement you then PIF.

Good luck!!

Message 19 of 22
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmm. As the OP can read in many threads, Cap 1 is not CLI friendly. Many of us tried to get info, but they never oblige. At some point they may give you an unexpected CLI when it really no longer matters for you.

The best thing to do is pay it down to $ 0, stop using it regularly, and use your other card. As you can read around here, the best thing is to pay part of your charges before the statement cuts, so it will report between 1-9% of the CL. When you receive the statement you then PIF.

Good luck!!

Let's be honest, Cap 1 cards are by and large a joke in terms of Credit Lines. And increases, well if you would like an analogy here, think in terns of a snowball in hell. That's roughly your odds of success.

On the bright side it's a great card to take to McDonald's for lunch or fill the tank with. Anything more, and it just won't cut it.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.