Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whoops, Best Buy dropped me

tag
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Whoops, Best Buy dropped me

Today I checked online and HSBC has canceled my Best Buy store card due to inactivity. I'd been meaning to make a purchase and keep it active but just never got around to it. I clicked the luv button to reinstate my account, but only got an email (supposedly a manual review) saying the only way to get it back would be to apply for a new account.

Do you think I should call up and try to convince them otherwise? It's my only store card so it's good for my mix, and the CL was better than my old junkie starter CCs. But then again I'd have to (at least occasionally) make purchases at Best Buy for no other reason than to keep the account active.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Whoops, Best Buy dropped me

@KingAdrock wrote:

Today I checked online and HSBC has canceled my Best Buy store card due to inactivity. I'd been meaning to make a purchase and keep it active but just never got around to it. I clicked the luv button to reinstate my account, but only got an email (supposedly a manual review) saying the only way to get it back would be to apply for a new account.

Do you think I should call up and try to convince them otherwise? It's my only store card so it's good for my mix, and the CL was better than my old junkie starter CCs. But then again I'd have to (at least occasionally) make purchases at Best Buy for no other reason than to keep the account active.

That's HSBC, that's what they do and they don't relent. Always worth a call, but don't be surprised if you are turned away empty handed.

Message 2 of 8
okiesean
New Contributor

I know it probably sounds stupid to do this but... I go into Best Buy once a month mostly just to look around at the new stuff and see if anything I wanted, but wouldnt budget for, was on the clearance table. I dont want to spend a bunch of money but I always buy a coke and sometimes a piece of candy up by the checkouts. It keeps my card active and has worked for almost 9 months now since I paid off my laptop. I look at the checker and tell them I want to keep my card active and I charge a soda pop and sometimes a candy bar. They are about the same price as at Walmart and its activity. You might try that to keep yours active if you dont want to spend a bunch of money. Also they sell refrigerator water filters there for most brands and vacuum cleaner filter bags. They will price match Walmart and Sears (not Sams though) so if you need a filter twice a year you might buy one there for activity too. Just an idea. Hope it helps.
Message 3 of 8
DI
Super Contributor

@okiesean wrote:
I know it probably sounds stupid to do this but... I go into Best Buy once a month mostly just to look around at the new stuff and see if anything I wanted, but wouldnt budget for, was on the clearance table. I dont want to spend a bunch of money but I always buy a coke and sometimes a piece of candy up by the checkouts. It keeps my card active and has worked for almost 9 months now since I paid off my laptop. I look at the checker and tell them I want to keep my card active and I charge a soda pop and sometimes a candy bar. They are about the same price as at Walmart and its activity. You might try that to keep yours active if you dont want to spend a bunch of money. Also they sell refrigerator water filters there for most brands and vacuum cleaner filter bags. They will price match Walmart and Sears (not Sams though) so if you need a filter twice a year you might buy one there for activity too. Just an idea. Hope it helps.

Fantastic ideas! Or one can buy one MP3 song from the website.  

Message 4 of 8
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Doesn't cost you anything to call for a reinstatement, if they'll do it without an inquiry.

But if there's going to be an inquiry for a new account, you might just as well spend it on a store you actually shop at frequently.  Or get a gas card from the place you normally fill up.  I think a gas card qualifies as a store card for credit mix purposes.

Just a thought.

Message 5 of 8
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Always worth a call, but...

HSBC does not reinstate. If you find out something different you have to post it. That would be new news.

Message 6 of 8
tiger67
Regular Contributor

Good luck. The same thing happened to me three days ago. When I called, the CSR said reinstatment wasn't possible. He said he couldn't even see the info from the old account as it is supposedly deleted from the system. What a way to lose a 8 year old account, They just gave me a cli in Oct.

Message 7 of 8
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@tiger67 wrote:

Good luck. The same thing happened to me three days ago. When I called, the CSR said reinstatment wasn't possible. He said he couldn't even see the info from the old account as it is supposedly deleted from the system. What a way to lose a 8 year old account, They just gave me a cli in Oct.

I'm going to give them a call, but no I'm not holding my breath. Truth is I never wanted the card in the first place (I got it by accident, it's a long story,) but it was good for my mix and they'd give me a CLI every 6 months when I'd ask for one. In fact the only reason I found out the card was closed was logging in to ask for a new CLI.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.