Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whoops screwed up

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoops screwed up

So I pay my QS card in full every month before my statement cut date and lay off for a few days. Well this month I screwed up and made about 1800 dollars in purchases after I PIF and let it slip for my statement cut. Normally I wouldn't care over all utilization will report around 12 percent and individual utilization would be around 20ish. My concern now is my 6 month Amex CLI is coming up on the 21 and attempting my first discover CLI with discover at 90 days on the 19th. Well that was the plan anyway.

My questions are

1. Does cap one only report once per month as previously talked about in the forums? Or do they finlly allow mid cycle updates for zero balances or requests like chase, discover and Amex?

2. Do you think a sudden surge for the utilization can affect my planned CLI requests?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Whoops screwed up

If that is your only card reporting a balance that looks like stellar credit to me not optimum like the 1-9% but just fine...
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, carrying a balance on Amex and Discover because of the zero ApR
Message 3 of 6
Gmood1
Super Contributor

IMHO and experience you'll be fine. Cap one reports once a month. You may see more balance transfer offers because of it. I'm not a proponent of micromanaging what's reported unless it's going to be over 30% utilization. My CLIs in the past seem unaffected by paying statements before they report.
Message 4 of 6
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Pretty sure you'll be fine.  There's nothing wrong with reporting a balance as long as it's not outrageous.  It will show you can manage a balance rather than constantly showing a $0 balance.  If you're spooked by it then pay it off and let it report $0 again and then hit your buttons.  Both Disco and AMEX are more concerned with what you do with them and not others typically.  

Just hit the button and go for the gusto!

Message 5 of 6
Chris679
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So I pay my QS card in full every month before my statement cut date and lay off for a few days. Well this month I screwed up and made about 1800 dollars in purchases after I PIF and let it slip for my statement cut. Normally I wouldn't care over all utilization will report around 12 percent and individual utilization would be around 20ish. My concern now is my 6 month Amex CLI is coming up on the 21 and attempting my first discover CLI with discover at 90 days on the 19th. Well that was the plan anyway.

My questions are

1. Does cap one only report once per month as previously talked about in the forums? Or do they finlly allow mid cycle updates for zero balances or requests like chase, discover and Amex?

2. Do you think a sudden surge for the utilization can affect my planned CLI requests?

Who is to say that the other creditors will even see the increase in balance?  For all we know the SP CLI just goes off the last SP they have in their system.  I mean if they pull your credit at your request to decide if they want to give CLI isn't that the very definition of a HP?  IMO these companies do not see anywhere near as much of our credit report as some would have you believe.  You can see all SP at the bottom of your report and they are not very common even for companies you have cards from. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.