Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why AMEX why? Missed it by one day.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why AMEX why? Missed it by one day.

So I recently app'd for the BCE on Dec 27, 2012.  I got the pending message, but I checked the status right afterward (and called), and was approved with a $2k limit.  I then received the approval email on Dec 31, 2012 saying "Congratulations, your new card is being mailed out."

I received my card, and it shows member since 13, and it looks like on the info I received with the card my join date is 01/01/13.

Is there anything I can do in terms of getting a 2012 member since date?  I basically get screwed out of a free year for any future cards, and I just wanted the 2012 date anyways, haha.

Do you think I could call and speak with them about it, or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: Why AMEX why? Missed it by one day.

i wonder why would you wait until last minute to apps for it ???lollllll

Not hurt to try thou.....Give them a call and see what's up

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 23
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Go straight to the Executive Office.  I don't think you'll get very far with level one.

Message 3 of 23
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Other people who apped late in the month are reporting similar results with a 2013 member since date.    It's certainly worth a call ( or several ) to try and get it changed to 2012.    Hopefully they'll work with you.  YMMV.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nicholasyud wrote:

Well, I didn't want to app on Christmas and I was also waiting for my card to post the balance I wanted, so it didn't work for me to app much earlier.  Hopefully I have some leverage, however, being they did send me the actual approval email saying my card was being sent out dated the 31st of December.  I understand it takes a few days to process, but they stated everything was done/approved and good to go.  I think I might try writing an email and then follow up with ECR if I don't get anyway.

I just wanted to know mainly if this is something that AMEX ever does, or if once it's set, it's set.

EDIT: I also note my online AMEX account says Charges since 12/31, so clearly my account was active at that time when I was told everything was finished processing.

Message 5 of 23
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@nicholasyud wrote:

Well, I didn't want to app on Christmas and I was also waiting for my card to post the balance I wanted, so it didn't work for me to app much earlier.  Hopefully I have some leverage, however, being they did send me the actual approval email saying my card was being sent out dated the 31st of December.  I understand it takes a few days to process, but they stated everything was done/approved and good to go.  I think I might try writing an email and then follow up with ECR if I don't get anyway.

I just wanted to know mainly if this is something that AMEX ever does, or if once it's set, it's set.

A lot of members on here are reporting AMEX has done the same. If you think about it the Open Date is technically in 2013 since the card was activated in 2013 right? But give a call and plead your case and keep all of us updated. 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chnceit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@nicholasyud wrote:

A lot of members on here are reporting AMEX has done the same. If you think about it the Open Date is technically in 2013 since the card was activated in 2013 right? But give a call and plead your case and keep all of us updated. 

Yeah, I'll definitely post back here on my results.  The funny thing is, I could create my online account on the 31st, and my online account is showing charges Since 12/31... and not 1/13, which is apparently what they're considering my opening date.  While the card wasn't active, my account was, so I'll definitely be calling several times if they don't seem to want to move on this.  I work in customer service myself, haha, so I have a lot of patience with things like this.

Message 7 of 23
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Take a look at your online account.  I think these two dates will be telling.  FWIW, I apped & approved on 12/12.  

Message 8 of 23
beb86
Valued Contributor

When you log in what does your "Member Since" date say???? 2012 or 2013?

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jake619 wrote:

Take a look at your online account.  I think these two dates will be telling.  FWIW, I apped & approved on 12/12.  

Yeah, mine says Since Dec 31 (...), so I think I have a decent case (I hope).

@beb86 wrote:

When you log in what does your "Member Since" date say???? 2012 or 2013?

It says 2013, the card says 13, and the letter than came with the card has some random numbers and codes, etc., but shows 01/01/13 in one place, so I assume that's the date they're going by.

I received the approval/congrats email on Dec 31, however, and was told my card was being sent out.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.