cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why CC doesn't simply forbid Gift Card purchasing?

tag
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

Why CC doesn't simply forbid Gift Card purchasing?

If buying prepaid cards or gift cards like Vanilla Reload counts as "cash advance", why doesn't CC explicitly say so in the T&C?

Take CSP's T&C as an example:

"You do not earn points on balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that are used to access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including fees for products that protect or insure the balances of your account. There is no maximum number of points that you can accumulate in the program. "

It already says"such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders", and it sure can easily add "gift card" but none of the CC company  chose to do so. So one can argue "gift card" isn't included in it. Though the CC issuer can end their business with you without any reason.

As far as I know, I havn't see any CCs' T&C include "gift cards", so what's the reason?

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 1 of 69
68 REPLIES 68
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Why CC doesn't simply forbid Gift Card purchasing?

A  gift card is "cash-like", so it is covered. Funding bank accounts is obviously a cash advance. They, for whatever reason, just choose to let people do it and still earn points. Citi is the only one that I know that will recognise a financial institution purchase as a cash advance.

Message 2 of 69
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Because more than a few AMEX customers, especially businesses have a reason to purchase gift cards, and AMEX doesn't want to alienate card holders especially lucrative corporate customers.

Examples would include companies that want to give out gift cards to employees, partners as rewards and incentives, large companies could buy 100's of gift cards at a time, most retailers would prefer to have people buy giftcards with a credit card than a check  even if its a bussiness account. its a lot more risk, and corporations surely don't want employees carrying $10,000 in cash into a store.  Or the Grandma doesn't know what to give her grandson Johnny for Christmas so picks up a $100 gift card. Both are legitimate purchases done by valued AMEX customers. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 69
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Because the majority of people don't charge up multiple times their monthy income per month on gift cards and buy them for legitimate purposes to give as gifts. Due to "abuse" or however you see it, this may end up pushing lenders to excluding them, since we know lenders can see at least some of what was in a transaction. I'd see this as unfortunate but if the choice is between nerfing my rewards or excluding my $500 in gift card gifts a year, I would take excluding the gift cards.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 4 of 69
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

James you are correct my company give amex cards for performance rewards and as prizes in meetings and such.  AMEX is the corporate card choice so all of the cards are bought with amex.

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 5 of 69
enharu
Super Contributor

@w20031424 wrote:

If buying prepaid cards or gift cards like Vanilla Reload counts as "cash advance", why doesn't CC explicitly say so in the T&C?

Take CSP's T&C as an example:

"You do not earn points on balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that are used to access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including fees for products that protect or insure the balances of your account. There is no maximum number of points that you can accumulate in the program. "

It already says"such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders", and it sure can easily add "gift card" but none of the CC company  chose to do so. So one can argue "gift card" isn't included in it. Though the CC issuer can end their business with you without any reason.

As far as I know, I havn't see any CCs' T&C include "gift cards", so what's the reason?

Basically like what b_seeker said.

Most people have a real daytime job / career and can't be bothered to do stupid stuff like this for some quick money.

And there are legitimate purchases with gift cards (i.e for birthdays, etc). 

abuse is not limited to just gift cards. People abused UR Mall, ShopDiscover, Send money feature, Bill pay, etc. Some still continue to do so even today.

At the end of the day they end up crying and blaming the whole world because their accounts got closed.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 69
Open123
Super Contributor

@w20031424 wrote:

There are many legitimate reasons to purchase gift cards—for employee bonuses, customer rebates and gifts.

The issue here isn’t really purchasing gift cards per se, but fraud and financial compliance risks when they’re purchased at amounts exceeding 3, 5, or even 10 times someone’s reported income.  The effort and resources necessary to ensure Federal regulatory compliance (willful blindness for Financial Inst carries severe penalties) is cumbersome enough for a profitable customer; for an unprofitable one, it would be sheer folly.

Message 7 of 69
TM82
Regular Contributor

Easiest thing to do is to just use your cards as you normally would in everyday life and you'll avoid these problems 99.9% of the time. If you need to get a gift for your best friends wedding and can't decide what to get, don't worry and get hima $100 Bed Bath and Beyond gift card. That's a lot different then stopping into CVS every 3 days and buying $504.95 of 'purchases'.

Or having a stated income of $40,000 but spending $9,000 a month on your credit cards. Or having a $5,000 line but putting 4x your CL throughout the month through it.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 8 of 69
drkaje
Senior Contributor

In a word: People. Smiley Happy

They're always gaming the system. Look at how long the US Mint thing was going on.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 69
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

enharu wrote:

Basically like what b_seeker said.

Most people have a real daytime job / career and can't be bothered to do stupid stuff like this for some quick money.

And there are legitimate purchases with gift cards (i.e for birthdays, etc). 

abuse is not limited to just gift cards. People abused UR Mall, ShopDiscover, Send money feature, Bill pay, etc. Some still continue to do so even today.

At the end of the day they end up crying and blaming the whole world because their accounts got closed.

OK, this is why it is not so black and white.   A certain poster here, with a name like enharu, recently posted a question about using Discover to transfer $1000 a month to his girlfriend to get ~ $120 cash back a year.  Is this a real transaction?  No, pure manufactured spend.   Is it a lot of "abuse"?  Not compared to some, but to those that don't do it, it is, and could lead to Discover reducing cash back, or stopping the send cash process, ruining it for those who use it for legitimate transactions.

Now the poster was advised not to do it, and so probably didn't, but the question arose, so I view this as a classic example of "Let him that is without sin cast the first stone" type of stuff.

Message 10 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.