Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Chase (Freedom) Can't Compete with Discover

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Why Chase (Freedom) Can't Compete with Discover

Every opinion is subjective. We dont have to state that in every thread where we disagree with an OP.
Message 21 of 66
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I agree that sadly this years promos on discover may only happen once because people will take advantage of them. However, chase hasnt even done a comparable promo
Message 22 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
I agree that sadly this years promos on discover may only happen once because people will take advantage of them. However, chase hasnt even done a comparable promo

Why should Chase do the same thing?  They give out the most signup bonuses than any other card company and that's where they dole out their rewards and 'promos'

Message 23 of 66
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:
I agree that sadly this years promos on discover may only happen once because people will take advantage of them. However, chasehasnt even done a comparable promo

You are taking advantage of them as well signing up for the double cash when it was meant for only new card holders, you knew this and did it anyways..  You are one of the people that are taking advantage of them as well..  Just saying...  I don't blame anyone as it was Discover's fault not to close this loophole instantly.

Message 24 of 66
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I don't believe that the Freedom is a huge priority for Chase at the moment. It seems to me that they are after much bigger fish that isn't too concerned about saving a few dollars on rotating categories. Citi pulled out with their discontinued Dividend card, and I'm sure they're doing just fine now. Discover doesn't have such a diversified product offering, so they have to keep the IT card a step above the competition's. Chase's priority is the traveling consumer, hence their vast array of cobranded hotel (5 brands!) and airline cards. Many of these cards can and do compete extremely well with competition. Additionally, their well-known Sapphire Preferred feeds into all of those loyalty programs.

I believe the Freedom is just there to offer a solid non-AF 'cash back' rewards card that is reasonably competitive for their customers, and to maintain a presence in that arena. Additionally, it serves as a valuable extension for the CSP for their customers who want it.

Message 25 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

I absolutely ADORE Chase, but I can't deny that Discover It has a ton of advantages over Freedom right now, and Chase's appalling Q4 categories don't make it any better. That said, I still see value in holding both. As long as Freedom continues to have 5% groceries and/or 5% restaurants as categories, the card will remain a keeper for me.

Message 26 of 66
yfan
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
I agree that sadly this years promos on discover may only happen once because people will take advantage of them. However, chasehasnt even done a comparable promo

You are taking advantage of them as well signing up for the double cash when it was meant for only existing card holders, you knew this and did it anyways..  You are one of the people that are taking advantage of them as well..  Just saying...  I don't blame anyone as it was Discover's fault not to close this loophole instantly.

I think you mean it was only meant for new cardholders, but Discover never said that was the case; they just cut off sign-ups for existing accounts after a certain point. Actually I give Discover credit for giving existing cardholders a window to sign up for the offer - I think they earned a bit of my loyalty by doing so; I prefer that practice much better than sign-up bonuses meant only for new cardmembers (which I think is part of the thing that is now biting them back).

Message 27 of 66
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@yfan wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

You are taking advantage of them as well signing up for the double cash when it was meant for only existing card holders, you knew this and did it anyways..  You are one of the people that are taking advantage of them as well..  Just saying...  I don't blame anyone as it was Discover's fault not to close this loophole instantly.

I think you mean it was only meant for new cardholders, but Discover never said that was the case; they just cut off sign-ups for existing accounts after a certain point. Actually I give Discover credit for giving existing cardholders a window to sign up for the offer - I think they earned a bit of my loyalty by doing so; I prefer that practice much better than sign-up bonuses meant only for new cardmembers (which I think is part of the thing that is now biting them back).

LOL, thank you for correcting my errorSmiley Happy.. Fixed in postSmiley Happy.. Big difference

Message 28 of 66
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:
I don't believe that the Freedom is a huge priority for Chase at the moment. It seems to me that they are after much bigger fish that isn't too concerned about saving a few dollars on rotating categories. Citi pulled out with their discontinued Dividend card, and I'm sure they're doing just fine now.

I absolutely agree that the Freedom isn't a priority for Chase - which is why I suggested that it gets the first axe when it wants to slow down rewards earning. My point is that while the Freedom isn't a priority for Chase, it was a major priority for a lot of peole who used the Freedom/CSP combo to easily rack up UR points. I think that's what Chase is trying to taper down.

But oh how we wish that Chase would release a flat 2% cashback card. Smiley Tongue

Message 29 of 66
kdm31091
Super Contributor

By taking advantage im referring to people "maximizing" the promos with "creative" spend. We all know what I mean.
Message 30 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.