Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Get an AMEX Delta Gold?

tag
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Why Get an AMEX Delta Gold?

the rewards are also good if you use them correctly, the last award ticket I booked got 3.5% return on my points.  I got a 900$ ticket for 25k miles

my advise is if you're going to use the companion ticket make sure you get the platinum, you actually save money that way! 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 11 of 22
nickn86
Contributor

Delta Gold is a fairly mediocre airline card overall, but can be very convenient if you live in a Delta hub city or just fly Delta a lot.  The reason it's mediocre (I have one) is because Delta miles have the least value of the legacy carriers.  Still I've used it to take advantage of free bag check, Zone 1 boarding (not to be confused with SkyPriority boarding.  If you're flying out of/to a Delta hub basically everyone will get on before you or wirth), and the half-off lounge access ($25 which is not bad for unlimited drinks, snacks and wifi).

If you really want to earn Delta miles the best card overall is the Amex Premier Rewards Gold card (2x groceries/gas and 3x airfare which can be transferred to Delta miles) or the Amex Starwood card (transfer bonus for transferring SPG points to Delta).  You even get more miles on Delta purchases using PRG.

Delta Platinum and Reserve's worth are dependent entirely on your frequent flyer status-level with Delta.  Also, keep in mind with Delta's new Skymiles system starting next year, spending $25k on a Delta Amex waives the new Medallion Qualifying Dollars (MQD) requirement to reach status.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 12 of 22
GangnamFICO
Valued Member

Because the chicks dig it when I throw down the card to the waiter and...it comes in handy if I'm short on cash until payday and need a short spot. AMEX gets the booty, and that's important when you're a Pirate.

Minor vulgarity edit --Rev

Walmart TU Score 740
Chase Freedom($5000); CitiThankYou Preferred($5000); GEWM Discover($3500); Walmart Store($1300); AMEX Gold; AMEX BCE($6000); GE Discount Tire($1500); Mor Furniture ($4700);Cap1($750)
Message 13 of 22
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone for the honest answers and LOL at some of you. Very funny responses.

Message 14 of 22
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

The delta AMEX Does NOT get sky priority, that is reserved for Medallions and First Class

The delta card gets zone 1 which is after SP and is for Amex and Econ comfort passengers
Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 15 of 22
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Got mine so I could board zone 1

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 16 of 22
redwalker2929
Regular Contributor

A $900.00 ticket for 25,000 points!? I have always found its based on actual price of ticket.  Can you please elaborate?

Message 17 of 22
redwalker2929
Regular Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

the rewards are also good if you use them correctly, the last award ticket I booked got 3.5% return on my points.  I got a 900$ ticket for 25k miles

my advise is if you're going to use the companion ticket make sure you get the platinum, you actually save money that way! 

A $900 ticket for 25,000 miles!? Can you please elaborate?

Message 18 of 22
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@GangnamFICO wrote:

Because the chicks dig it when I throw down the card to the waiter and...it comes in handy if I'm short on cash until payday and need a short spot. AMEX gets the booty, and that's important when you're a Pirate.

Minor vulgarity edit --Rev

How many things are wrong here?  I think this might be is my new signature.

Message 19 of 22
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@redwalker2929 wrote:

A $900.00 ticket for 25,000 points!? I have always found its based on actual price of ticket.  Can you please elaborate?

sure... FSM to ATL depart 2/4 return 2/5.... just checked and right now the price is 1241.80.... cost me 25k miles...  

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.