tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Why I pay for high Annual Fee cards

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I cant pay high AF because i cant afford themSmiley Wink

AJC, what card do you want and I'll cover the AF for you?

Lol, thanks @redpat , im not greedy so ill just take a Amex Gold cardSmiley Wink. Be cool, semi playa, and  feel like a big boy all at onceSmiley Happy

Backup choice, US Bank ARSmiley Wink. Want to join the 🧦♣️😁

Semi playa  😂😂😂

Thank you for the laugh! 

Message 11 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I miss the old IHG terms. $49 for a renewal night potentially costing $1k-$2k.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 21
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So I am cancelling my Chase Sapphire Reserve card this month. The $550 AF is too much for the rewards I use.

CSR ($625 AF w/$75 AU charge). Benefits $300 travel credit, $200 Lyft membership, priority pass ($400 if bought on my own), $60 DD credits. $960 in benefits, except I rarely use lift, never use DD, and already have Priority Pass from my hilton card. So the net benefit to me from this card is the $300 travel credit. Net fee for me $325!

I have no issue paying high annual fees if I can realize a benefit from the card perks that exceeds the cost, unfortunately, the Chase Sapphire Reserve doesnt meet that test for me.

For most people, there will be a diminishing return on value as you add more high-AF cards.  Since you post that you already have three others, it's hard to see where you might further benefit before marginalizing your overall returns.   I noticed that two of your cards are pretty-much break-even (Gold -$30/SWA +$40) but the bulk of your "profits" come from the Hilton Aspire.  In the same vein, I agreed with a lot of what @Anonymous  posted, especially about hotel cards with a free annual night being profitable cards.  (My Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless and Chase World of Hyatt both have free annual nights for the respective $95 AFs.  Chase also offers the IHG Rewards Club Premier that has free annual night plus an unlimited 4th night free benefit for the $89 AF.  Those are all options if you care to diversify.)

I always appreciate and respect the way others choose to value their cards and it sounds like CSR is not paying its' way.   We all may add it up a little differently.  For some such as @Anonymous, it's all about the direct ca$h value only.  And it also depends on how you spend, what other cards you have, and how you can benefit from the offered perks.   However, there are sometimes more intrinsic benefits that you may not remember (or choose) to include.    In the case of the CSR, here are some additional factors you left off that (I) would include if I were making the list, and some of the reasons (I) am keeping it. 

* CSR is much more valuable with the bifecta-trifecta-quadfecta cards and ability to consolidate UR points; I know some roll their eyes at how much we talk about this but it can be a huge game-changer in calculations like this for those who don't dilute their rewards.  If you don't do this, no wonder it's not paying its' way.  I get hundreds a year minimum from UR transfer from INK and Freedom, especially with the 50% bonus.

* CSR includes TSA Global Entry credit if you don't add other cards that negate that benefit.

* CSR includes roadside assistance equivalent to basic AAA coverage, pays 4x $50 per year. That's a $55 value in my state.

* I chose not to add DW as AU in part due to the $75 additional fee; one option would be to cancel AU to save on fees.

* A big part of CSR's appeal for me is the best-in-class travel protections and insurances.  This can actually be quantified if you ever pay for rental car coverage, trip insurance on cruises or travel itineraries (can cost hundreds of dollars), or if you've ever been inconvenienced with trip or baggage delays or lost baggage.   A single claim on some of these coverages could pay for years (or more) in AFs.  I just posted some consolidated info I found about all this on another thread.  CSR and Chase Ritz Carlton (no longer available for new applicants) have the best travel protections on the market, bar none, and that's not just my opinion.  See my link.  Would any of this change your value proposition?

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/What-is-BoA-s-niche-market-for-the-Premium-Rewards-card-with/m-p/5905623#M1697270

* I also note that you put the valuation of the Priority Pass lounge membership ($400 value if you paid separately) on the Hilton card but it's a duplicate benefit on the CSR already.   If you aren't actually using all those Aspire credits annually, it could change your value equation to take that out also and add it to CSR, especially if you were considering your options with a downgrade on Hilton to the Surpass card $95 AF.

If I was going to add one card to your "high value" list, it might be the Bank of America Premium Rewards but that's only if you're willing to transfer $100K investments to Merrill Lynch to qualify for the highest Platinum Honors Level in their Preferred Rewards program.  I don't know where you put your uncategorized spend but PR would net you an uncapped 2.625% cash-back on all uncategorized spend, plus if you coupled with a Cash Rewards card you would get as much as 5.25% on one of six categories of your choice (up to $10K per year.)  And there's a $500 SUB.  Plus, even though the card has a $95 AF, after the $100 airline fee credit, they are paying you $5 right off the bat to carry the card even before you claim the TSA Global Entry/Precheck reimbursement and before you claim any other returns.  Smiley Happy 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 13 of 21
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

For the way my wife and I travel I would hands down take as many Ritz and Bonvoy Brilliant cards as they'd allow me to have.  The $300 Marriott credit plus the 50k annual free night pays for itself...time and time again.  The Ritz has the same 50k annual free night award and a $300 travel credit which I've burned for airfare or any other airlines purchase and Chase never even bothers to question it.  

Like my Lowe's card, they'd have to pry the Ritz and the Brilliant card from my dead hands.  

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay for high AF cards because I want to look like each a:

Baller
Shot Caller
20 inch rims on the Impala

I also have a spreadsheet that evaluates the use and benefits of a card for me. In 2020, I have already hit even on my CSR thanks to Lyft and a lot of work travel. Ditto Hilton Aspire (booked my annual night and got upgraded twice).
Message 15 of 21
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I pay for high AF cards because I want to look like each a:

Baller
Shot Caller
20 inch rims on the Impala

I also have a spreadsheet that evaluates the use and benefits of a card for me. In 2020, I have already hit even on my CSR thanks to Lyft and a lot of work travel. Ditto Hilton Aspire (booked my annual night and got upgraded twice).

@Anonymous LOL!  Thanks for getting that stuck in my head.  That's a throwback right there.  Now I'm struttin' around this place singing ...Wanna be a balla...  ...I hit the highway, making money the fly way...   Smiley LOL   I remember playing that one louder than most would prefer back in the day...and actually had an '04 Impala SS.  Was much too young when the cooler '95 SS was a "thing".  

Message 16 of 21
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Okay, so I wanted to be helpful (star and all that), and I found directions on how to be a proper baller!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wikihow-fun.com/Be-a-Baller%3famp=1

Sadly, it seems geared towards males only.
I guess I'm stuck with attempting to be a proper ballerina.
Message 17 of 21
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:
Okay, so I wanted to be helpful (star and all that), and I found directions on how to be a proper baller!

@Remedios Don't know if I should laugh or shake my head at the thought of there actually being a "guide".   LOL!  Smiley LOL

Message 18 of 21
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Didn't Offspring cover this with Pretty Fly for a White Guy? 😂

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 19 of 21
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Loquat wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Remedios Don't know if I should laugh or shake my head at the thought of there actually being a "guide".   LOL!  Smiley LOL

Both. Preferably in that order 😐

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.