Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Kroger?

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Why Kroger?

@09Lexie wrote:
Which is why I hate it when my cc's are out of my eyesight. My DH thinks I'm paranoid

You are not Lexie..better safe than sorry. My only fraud case ever was from a restaurant that copied the magnetic stripe. All other transactions were chip and pin and therefore it was easy to find the source where this fraud ocurred. 

Message 11 of 21
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I didn't think I was being paranoid either. Thanks for reassuring me!
Message 12 of 21
NCGirl
New Contributor

Which restaurant?

Starting Score: 689
Current Score: 689
Goal Score: 770

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Amex BCE, Discover, FNBO AMEX, Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa, Blue for Business
(In the garden until November 2013)
Next card Visa Signature - World Elite MC(Business)
Message 13 of 21
john398
Senior Contributor

My guess is Gift Cards too and with Kroger you slide your own card, so they could easily make their own card with an altered magnatic strip

Message 14 of 21
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Message 15 of 21
p-
Valued Contributor

09Lexie wrote:..Which is why I hate it when my cc's are out of my eyesight. My DH thinks I'm paranoid

Or not paranoid enough.  This was a cloned card, so they definitely scanned the strip.  But it's easier than you think.  When I worked in retail, my company used a point of sale program that used a usb plug in swiper.  It communicated to the computer just like a keyboard.  If you were in notepad or word or something instead of having the POS open, you could actually use it to decode the magnetic strip and leave a character string that included the card number, exp date, and other data.  I know that company went to something more complex, but how many restaurants and retail shops have cheap bottom dollar POS systems?  All it takes is one bent employee that is a little tech savvy and the info is out there.

We need chip and pin.

Message 16 of 21
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

There are lots of stores that arent even asking for I.D. anymore. especially grocery stores. I also tell my fam to keep their cards with them and not hnd it to anyone.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 17 of 21
john398
Senior Contributor

It against the card agreement to ask for ID

Message 18 of 21
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

oh really?^ thats new foe me.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 19 of 21
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@p- wrote:

So... Why Kroger?  Weird.  Of all the things to use a stolen 10k credit card for, you bought 60 bucks worth of groceries?

Does it really matter?  They use stolen cards for all sorts of things.  My company card had fraudulent transactions for world cup souvenirs purchased in South Africa during the world cup.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.