cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Amex charge cards more "prestigious" than their revolvers??

tag
kmkotas

Why are Amex charge cards more "prestigious" than their revolvers??

I know it is easier to get approved for a charge card but they are often viewed as more prestigious. Why? Is it because people assume you have money if its paid in full each month? Or because of the high annual fees? Can someone fill me in please? Also, I don't know why they are easy to get. I see them as being a bigger risk since people can't make minimum payments on them and keep charging away.
1st Financial Bank USA Mastercard (2007) $1,900.00
Chase Sapphire Preferred (2008) $16,000
American Express Gold (April 2013) NPSL
Discover It (April 2013) $5,000
**Experian 765, Equifax 782, TU 787**
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Why are Amex charge cards more "prestigious" than their revolvers??

They are easier to get because people whom get them know they need to pay in full or default. As such most people make it a point to pay this before any other credit bill.

In my opinion it's not anymore prestigious than bcp or other revolvers such as SPG, but if I'm to really think of some reasons it would be:

1. Your ability to PIF means you have a good grasp of your own finances.
2. Because of its AF most people who own a charge card, and isn't a complete idiot, would run at least 30k annually for the lowest tier charge card. The exception is for course for people who has the card for <1 year, since AF is waived.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 24
TM82
Regular Contributor

It's about perception, in the past charge card  meant high spending power but it's a thing of the past with all the newer and in my opinion better credit cards available. 

My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 3 of 24
kmkotas

Makes sense I suppose. I don't personally view any card as prestigious except maybe Centurion or Palladium. I do think AmEx should make their platinum card metal though! Lol for that annual fee it needs to be metal
Message 4 of 24
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@kmkotas wrote:
Makes sense I suppose. I don't personally view any card as prestigious except maybe Centurion or Palladium. I do think AmEx should make their platinum card metal though! Lol for that annual fee it needs to be metal

+1

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 5 of 24
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@kmkotas wrote:

I would gladly pay the $450-AF for the Platinum AmEx if it were made of metal. 

A gold EMV chip and gold tipped embossing would make the card irresistable just for it's "Bling-Factor".

Image is Everything Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 24
kmkotas

Agreed!!! $450 for a plastic card is insane even though its for the benefits.
Message 7 of 24
theoldnocreditmaster
Valued Member

They use to be very back in the day when they competed against actual cash , but Mastercard rules. See for yourself.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0uFqsI1vy4

Message 8 of 24
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@kmkotas wrote:
Agreed!!! $450 for a plastic card is insane even though its for the benefits.

I would have to do some mental self-trickery, and rationalize that "it's only $1.23 per day" - I use to spend more than that on cigarettes Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 24
jzon450

I think it's the annual fees... the benifits with Amex really aren't that great anymore, or not as good as they once were. Visa Signature cards now offer a lot of the same perks.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.