Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why debit cards are subprime =)

tag
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why debit cards are subprime =)

@distantarray wrote:

makes me want to get a Venture card for 2% cash back so I can get every buy 50 hookers get 1 free Smiley Very Happy

Weekly rewards?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 11 of 45
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Actually i don't think its a fair comparison b/w debit and cc.  

There are many debit cards that offer cash back and other protections.

Message 12 of 45
distantarray
Established Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

Actually i don't think its a fair comparison b/w debit and cc.  

There are many debit cards that offer cash back and other protections.

those are very few in between and much more limited, regardless they don't build credit which is a gateway to alot more rewards =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 13 of 45
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Debit cards are really just part of the "Cash is King" view on life....

Very big +1 to the holds for things like hotel rooms too. I pre-ordered a cell phone from AT&T, and they don't charge until it ships, so I got an authorization on my cap1 for 317.99, and if that was on my bank account, I would be pissed because it is just like "Oh, you have another $318 there, you just can't use it." 

Message 14 of 45
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Very big +1 to the holds for things like hotel rooms too. I pre-ordered a cell phone from AT&T, and they don't charge until it ships, so I got an authorization on my cap1 for 317.99, and if that was on my bank account, I would be pissed because it is just like "Oh, you have another $318 there, you just can't use it." 

*wonders who you bank with*

all my banks process payments in real time.  And the only delay is the actuall release of the actuall funds, which is depenant on the merchants acquirer.  But real time posts and real time dedutions from my actual balance.

Plus, when i buy gas there is no $100+ "hold"  all gas pumps are immedately processed as the actuall dollar amt I pumped.

Message 15 of 45
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

*wonders who you bank with*

all my banks process payments in real time.  And the only delay is the actuall release of the actuall funds, which is depenant on the merchants acquirer.  But real time posts and real time dedutions from my actual balance.

Plus, when i buy gas there is no $100+ "hold"  all gas pumps are immedately processed as the actuall dollar amt I pumped.

I bank with Chase Ally and Wells Fargo mainly. When an authorization is placed on your account for a specific amount though (I pre-ordered something which cost $317.99, so they authorized me for $317.99 to make sure I actually had it, since I won't be charged for another 3 days) it takes away from your "Available Balance" (In a checking account) or your "Available Credit" (in a CC account) 

Message 16 of 45
distantarray
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

My guess is your with Bank of America.

They like to do a disappearing magic trick with my accounts in the past, that's why I fired them last week.

I would see the transaction posted immediately within minute or so, then it would COMPLETELY disappear, check my account on my cell Oh I got plenty of money, then come back few days later REORGANIZED. From highest transactions top to lowest on bottom

so if you only had $40 in your account and you purchased these in order

1. Movies ($7)

2. dinner ($20)

3. Gas ($50)

you would have 1 over draft charge.

Bank of America would reorganize it to

1. Gas $50

2. Dinner $20

3. Movies $7

so now you have  THREE overdraft charges.  

This lead to a $410,000,000 class action lawsuit. but that's still less than 10% of the money they stole from clients.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/07/bank-of-america-overdraft_n_1079924.html

Message 17 of 45
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

My guess is your with Bank of America.

They like to do a disappearing magic trick with my accounts in the past, that's why I fired them last week.

I would see the transaction posted immediately within minute or so, then it would COMPLETELY disappear, check my account on my cell Oh I got plenty of money, then come back few days later REORGANIZED. From highest transactions top to lowest on bottom

so if you only had $40 in your account and you purchased these in order

1. Movies ($7)

2. dinner ($20)

3. Gas ($50)

you would have 1 over draft charge.

Bank of America would reorganize it to

1. Gas $50

2. Dinner $20

3. Movies $7

so now you have  THREE overdraft charges.  

This lead to a $410,000,000 class action lawsuit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/07/bank-of-america-overdraft_n_1079924.html

Chase got in trouble for the overdraft thing too, but I've never had an overdraft on any of my accounts, and if I WAS going to overdraft, it would be with Ally. They charge a once daily $9 overdraft fee. 

Message 18 of 45
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Whitney bank also did the same thing and got in trouble for it.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 45
distantarray
Established Contributor

But with Chase you can have them decline the overdraft like a credit card, and overdrafts under $5 the fees are waived, BOA will charge you a fee if your over by 0.01 cents

Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.