cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did Discover issue refund?

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why did idiots at Discover issue refund?

I had a run in with them this month as well. Sent a push payment to cover the balance at that time, also initiated a pull payment to cover other charges I knew I would make prior to statement cut, they confirmed the pull, it never happened and a balance reported this morning. Never even notified me. I slammed the phone down on them yesterday. At the end of the 1 yr zero percent APR on purchases I got with them earlier this month I am going to burn the card. Dont need the headache from them anymore.
Message 11 of 22
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@gdale6 wrote:
I had a run in with them this month as well. Sent a push payment to cover the balance at that time, also initiated a pull payment to cover other charges I knew I would make prior to statement cut, they confirmed the pull, it never happened and a balance reported this morning. Never even notified me. I slammed the phone down on them yesterday. At the end of the 1 yr zero percent APR on purchases I got with them earlier this month I am going to burn the card. Dont need the headache from them anymore.

RpXg.gif

Message 12 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

It's known that Discover (and Chase) will report upon request, so that part isn't a big deal. I'd be more annoyed about the possibility of taking an extra month to reset the grace period. I wonder if it would have helped had you involved customer service when you wanted to pay to zero.

This didn't involve a grace period. It was a balance transfer.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 13 of 22
NRB525
Super Contributor

There seems to be irritation at Discover reporting a balance? After the conclusion of several cardholders trying to make a complicated set of payments as their statement dates approach?  

I’ve paid off / moved off many BT balances over the years for many banks. It’s never something you can expect to stick the landing on.  Trailing interest after paying a BT, if the bank is going to charge it, is something you cannot avoid. It will report that balance.  

And FWIW Discover is one of the better, more accommodating card issuers when it comes to basic features like rotating rewards, 0% APR periods, low APR BT offers, free FICO score monthly, and statement clarity, to cite just a few.

So I will counterbalance the discussion to say Discover is an excellent card to keep, and the Discover organization is not any sort of idiots.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I don’t think Discover is run by idiots at all. Anytime you’re dealing with situations of overpaying, BTs, trailing interest etc it’s going to get complex and it’s not worth writing off the company over it
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

There seems to be irritation at Discover reporting a balance? After the conclusion of several cardholders trying to make a complicated set of payments as their statement dates approach?  

I’ve paid off / moved off many BT balances over the years for many banks. It’s never something you can expect to stick the landing on.  Trailing interest after paying a BT, if the bank is going to charge it, is something you cannot avoid. It will report that balance.  

And FWIW Discover is one of the better, more accommodating card issuers when it comes to basic features like rotating rewards, 0% APR periods, low APR BT offers, free FICO score monthly, and statement clarity, to cite just a few.

So I will counterbalance the discussion to say Discover is an excellent card to keep, and the Discover organization is not any sort of idiots.  

Agree w/this 100%.

Message 16 of 22
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

It's known that Discover (and Chase) will report upon request, so that part isn't a big deal. I'd be more annoyed about the possibility of taking an extra month to reset the grace period. I wonder if it would have helped had you involved customer service when you wanted to pay to zero.

This didn't involve a grace period. It was a balance transfer.

I figured that the grace period came into play because most balance transfers cause interest to be charged immediately if new purchases are made. But either way, whenever there's interest, it needs to stop. If you can stop it a month earlier by calling in, I think the effort would be worth it.

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with  , I think the user often just makes it more difficult than it needs to be. I've never had a problem with Discover in all the BT I've had with them, nor the payment process. I've even made a couple complicated payments like applying my CB amount along with cash, and haven't ever had an issue. The worst issuer for paying over to cover pending interterest charges was Cap1, at least in my experience.

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I first got my Discover card it was my first credit card and one day I received a phone call from them asking why I didn't make a payment.  I had made other payments but missed this one and I told them I forgot to and said I'll go pay it right now and I never had a late payment marked on my record.

A couple times I had problems with Discover Offers not picking up some of my transactions and Discover corrected it for me & credited me the cashback.

Being the customer service is in the US is a relief and I've found that they're very willing to work with me.

Message 19 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Although I'm not personally a fan of Discover, I didn't intend to conduct a broad attack on the company. I was referring to a single idiotic transaction.

Accordingly, I've toned down the heading of my original post.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.