Why didn't I do this before?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why didn't I do this before?!

@atarvuzdar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@atarvuzdar wrote:

Noticed the variable APRs on my cards have been increasing over the past few months. Got bored today and decided to try to lower the APR on my bank cards. Didn't expect any luck since my credit isn't stellar but I was actually able to lower a few--including two which had insanely high APRs. 

Discover went from 23.99% to 19.24%

Barclaycard went from 25.99% to 21.99%

Citi DC went from 16.99% to 15.24% 

Chase wouldn't even take a look ("We review twice a year and WE will reach out to YOU"), CapOne and BofA didn't have any offers at this time.

Citi DC is my favorite card for its generous limit and the super-easy (and often offered) balance transfers--now I have another reason to be an even bigger fan. Smiley Happy

Never thought to do this before but I'm happy I went through the exercise. How often do banks usually entertain lowering APRs??

How did you go about asking Barclays?  Did you use the secure messaging when you sign into your account?

I don't need to have it lowered.  I pay in full every month but I want to try and see what happens.

Attempted the secure message but they responded very soon after that I had to call in. The call took all of three minutes, no fuss no muss.

What did you say to them?  Did they ask why you wanted a lower APR?

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you take any HP's for asking?

Curious cause I have a few I might want to give a shot with. One is a Discover IT card.

Message 12 of 16
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@atarvuzdar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@atarvuzdar wrote:

Noticed the variable APRs on my cards have been increasing over the past few months. Got bored today and decided to try to lower the APR on my bank cards. Didn't expect any luck since my credit isn't stellar but I was actually able to lower a few--including two which had insanely high APRs. 

Discover went from 23.99% to 19.24%

Barclaycard went from 25.99% to 21.99%

Citi DC went from 16.99% to 15.24% 

Chase wouldn't even take a look ("We review twice a year and WE will reach out to YOU"), CapOne and BofA didn't have any offers at this time.

Citi DC is my favorite card for its generous limit and the super-easy (and often offered) balance transfers--now I have another reason to be an even bigger fan. Smiley Happy

Never thought to do this before but I'm happy I went through the exercise. How often do banks usually entertain lowering APRs??

How did you go about asking Barclays?  Did you use the secure messaging when you sign into your account?

I don't need to have it lowered.  I pay in full every month but I want to try and see what happens.

Attempted the secure message but they responded very soon after that I had to call in. The call took all of three minutes, no fuss no muss.

What did you say to them?  Did they ask why you wanted a lower APR?

I told them the truth, that I noticed my APR has been rising over the past few months and that I wanted to know if there was any opportunity to lower it. It was pretty cut and dry.

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 13 of 16
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you take any HP's for asking?

Curious cause I have a few I might want to give a shot with. One is a Discover IT card.

Not at all. If the bank had a chat option I went that route (Discover has this option), otherwise I called. Each bank (except for Chase) ran through their "Sure, let me see if there are any offers on your account" script (via chat or call) and I had my answers within a minute for each. I thanked them all, even the ones who had nothing for me, and moved on to the next bank. 

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad I read this..

Welcome! All of our representatives are U.S.-based and one will be with you shortly.

Info
 at 18:44, Aug 11:
You’re now chatting with Xavier J..

Xavier J.
Hello, how can I help you today?

ME

Hi! I was inquiring to see if I had any special offers available for my account? Such as lowering my APR or CLI?

Xavier J.
 at 18:47, Aug 11:
Good afternoon Michael! Upon review, I'm seeing that your account is qualifies for a rate of a variable 19.24% that will be applied to future purchases only. Would you like me to apply that for you?

Me
 at 18:48, Aug 11:

That would be great!

I went from 23.99 to 19.24!!! Looks like we ended up with the same APR reduction offer since it was exactly the same haha

Going to try a few other cards right now. Smiley Tongue 
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your APR reductions!!!

Discover is usually eligible for an APR reduction every 6 months, ymmv.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.