Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do CC companies....

tag
tjones9234
Contributor

Why do CC companies....

Ask for Employer name and time at job? I know with auto loans the verify, I have never heard of a cc calling to verify a new app or CLI
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Re: Why do CC companies....

@tjones9234 wrote:
Ask for Employer name and time at job? I know with auto loans the verify, I have never heard of a cc calling to verify a new app or CLI

What does verifying have to do with anything?  I'm sure they expect people not to commit fraud and to answer honestly.

Message 2 of 9
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@tjones9234 wrote:

Time at current job is a sign of stability, could be used against a person if it is lied about, but don't think its used too heavily since it isn't verified other than comparing to information on credit reports, the name of employer could be used for collection activies should the need arise. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 9
tjones9234
Contributor

Yeah I would hope no one lies either, as it's not fair to those of us who don't.. That being said, I would guess soooo many people fudge income and employment status to get credit cards.. It's just interesting they don't bother, I know I would if I owned a bank
Message 4 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@jamesdwi wrote:

@tjones9234 wrote:

Time at current job is a sign of stability, could be used against a person if it is lied about, but don't think its used too heavily since it isn't verified other than comparing to information on credit reports, the name of employer could be used for collection activies should the need arise. 

+1

Just like time at residence - the longer the more stable you look.  I think more and more of the credit card issuers are going to third party employment/income verification these days.  Barclays just sent me an updated T&C saying they reserve the right to check that.

Message 5 of 9
tjones9234
Contributor

Yea via equifax the work number... It's the only 3rd party income verification service I am aware of..
Message 6 of 9
tjones9234
Contributor

IMO that information should be kept private and only released via your auth.. Ex Amex for form
Message 7 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

There's other companies out there that can verify income and employment.  Theworknumber came up not long ago:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-FR-and-theworknumber-com/td-p/3392159

ETA:  oops missed your post!

Message 8 of 9
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:

There's other companies out there that can verify income and employment.  Theworknumber came up not long ago:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-FR-and-theworknumber-com/td-p/3392159

ETA:  oops missed your post!

That's interesting...  Sometimes I put the main number and sometimes I put my direct line.  I always just assumed they wanted a way to pester me if I missed a payment or something.  Maybe I need to always put the main number instead.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.