Did you mean: 

Why do I seem to love Discover?

tag
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Why do I seem to love Discover?

I cannot understand myself....  Smiley Happy

1. Lowest CL, $1500.00.

2. Low caps on catagories as compared to my Chase Freedom.

3. Was told I would be eligable for a CLI after 6 months "track record".

But yet, I continue to use the card as my go to card. Maybe I just want the challenge to see how much of a CLI I can get at 6 months?

I just do not know!  Smiley Happy

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
BoSox617
Contributor

Re: Why do I seem to love Discover?

Hi RockinRay,

I'm an unabashed Discover lover Smiley Happy  IME, the real savings aren't found in their quarterly rotating categories, they are found in their online shopping discounts, partner gift cards, and customer-initiated inquiries for promotional offers.

Here's a quick summary of what I've been able to get in the past ferw months alone:

1. $20 customer-initiated cash back ($1 per transaction for 20 transactions): I called Discover at the end of June to ask if I were eligible for any promotions - and they gave me this.

2. 1.9% promotional APR for 6 months: I called them to ask for a temporary reduction in APR, for upcoming furniture purchases.

3. Lots and lots of online shopping: $25 cash back for a new plasma television, $17 off of a beauty purchase, etc.

4. Trading in cash back for partner gift cards: I'll be getting $200 worth of dinnerware from Pier 1 Imports just from trading in cash back for partner gift cards, and combining them with in-store coupons (trade in $40 rewards for a $50 gift card, or trade in $80 rewards for a $100 gift card). 

5. $3K CLI

IME, they WANT to be your #1 card, and like to see lots of usage.  I pay multiple times per month, and they commented favorably on seeing this. 

I am a huge cash back fan, and they are by far my absolute favorite.  Their Customer Service is fantastic, and they definitely have gone above and beyond to make me happy.

Best of luck!

Message 2 of 19
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the reply... I will need to start taking advantage of their online shopping and discounts.

I too am after the cash back, playing the game so to speak!

I did call them at 90 days and asked about a CLI and they were of course very nice to me. I agree their CS is top-notch. I guess I was blowing some steam becasue the CL is so low. As an example, Amex Costco is $22,200. Discover is $1500.

Feeling better already!  Smiley Happy

Ray

Ray

Message 3 of 19
BoSox617
Contributor

You're welcome! 

If you are considering some big purchases, call them ahead of time and ask for a CLI - I did this twice (once for Christmas shopping, the other for furniture shopping).  Each time, I received a $3K CLI.  Don't be shy about letting them know that you WANT their business, that you want them to be your #1.  Keep using that card, with time, it'll pay off Smiley Happy

But seriously, call them regularly and ask if you are able for any promotions above and beyond the quarterly categories.  Each time I have called, the CSRs are happy I did, and always invite me to call again in the future for more.

Message 4 of 19
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Great idea on calling them! We could stand to purchase a new fridge... I think I will give them a call to see what they have to say.

Ray

Ray

Message 5 of 19
slarano
Frequent Contributor

My birthday is in August, and am happy to have found out that they double your cash back for normal purchases from 1% to 2% during your birthday month. Just signed up for it, will concentrate all purchases on Discover in August. Smiley Happy

ImageImageImage

Message 6 of 19
smc733
Valued Contributor

@simonlarano wrote:

My birthday is in August, and am happy to have found out that they double your cash back for normal purchases from 1% to 2% during your birthday month. Just signed up for it, will concentrate all purchases on Discover in August. Smiley Happy

What if you haven't hit $3,000 spent for the year?  Does it go from .25% to .5%?  That really gives the shaft to people with birthdays in January-April.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 7 of 19
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@BoSox617 wrote:

IME, they WANT to be your #1 card, and like to see lots of usage.  I pay multiple times per month, and they commented favorably on seeing this. 

I don't see how it matters what THEY want to see. Of course, they want to see usage. However, it matters more to me what I WANT TO DO.

If more customers would realize that THEY are in charge and not DISCOVER or any other credit card company.

There is only one thing that I do FOR Discover or any other of my cards:I pay my bill in full each month. That's the only thing I will do for them.

We've seen some people on here who used their cards a lot and got an auto CLI and we've seen others who didn't and still got a CLI. Conversely, we've also seen people who charged a ton and didn't get a CLI and people who never use their Discover much and didn't get a CLI.

Maybe they'll give me a CLI on my one-year anniversary. Maybe not. I take them for their 5% and online shopping and leave the general cashback to my other cards. I care zilch about what they want me to do (which would be ideally use the card for each and every transaction).

Having said this, I do like Discover. They are a good company but there are other good companies.

Message 8 of 19
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@wollepopolle wrote:

Maybe they'll give me a CLI on my one-year anniversary.

getting a cli from discovercard is like pulling teeth. i just very recently received my first cli with them. i finally had to hard pull and even then i had to speak with a credit analyst. they gave me 1500 cli. i have been with them for 9.5 months.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 9 of 19
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Yep - they are very conservative.

I will work them for two more months until I cross the 6 month date... Then I will call if no Auto CLI. Hopefully, they will take care f me.

If not - sock drawer and I will work to buld my Chase Freedom.

Ray

Ray

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.