Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I seem to love Discover?

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: Why do I seem to love Discover?

Lowest limit, crappy CLIs, charges take forever to post:  mine is permanently sock-drawered.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 11 of 19
dp321
Regular Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

@simonlarano wrote:

My birthday is in August, and am happy to have found out that they double your cash back for normal purchases from 1% to 2% during your birthday month. Just signed up for it, will concentrate all purchases on Discover in August. Smiley Happy

What if you haven't hit $3,000 spent for the year?  Does it go from .25% to .5%?  That really gives the shaft to people with birthdays in January-April.

You get 2% anyway, and the cashback should show up on your statement as promotional or something similar. HOWEVER, your spending in your birthday month does not count towards the $3,000 annual spending tier and it caps at $500. So the maximum you can earn is $10.

Starting Score: EQ: 703 (4/2011);
Current Score: EQ: 738 (04/2013)

Goal Score: ALL 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smc733 wrote:

Lowest limit, crappy CLIs, charges take forever to post:  mine is permanently sock-drawered.

You do make a perfectly valid point.  I do wish they were a bit more liberal with limts and would speed up the posting process.

Still, I use it heavily during the appropriate 5% periods.  I also really, really appreciate that if I have to call they don't try to sell me junk. 

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel like every time I call they try to get me to sign up for one of their services. The only saving grace is that a simple "no thanks" is enough to get them to leave me alone about it.

Message 14 of 19
BoSox617
Contributor

@wollepopolle wrote:

I don't see how it matters what THEY want to see. Of course, they want to see usage. However, it matters more to me what I WANT TO DO.

If more customers would realize that THEY are in charge and not DISCOVER or any other credit card company.

There is only one thing that I do FOR Discover or any other of my cards:I pay my bill in full each month. That's the only thing I will do for them.

We've seen some people on here who used their cards a lot and got an auto CLI and we've seen others who didn't and still got a CLI. Conversely, we've also seen people who charged a ton and didn't get a CLI and people who never use their Discover much and didn't get a CLI.

Maybe they'll give me a CLI on my one-year anniversary. Maybe not. I take them for their 5% and online shopping and leave the general cashback to my other cards. I care zilch about what they want me to do (which would be ideally use the card for each and every transaction).

Having said this, I do like Discover. They are a good company but there are other good companies.

Hi Wollepopolle,

It’s not an “either or” situation” – Discover is a great fit for me, because I know my spending habits, and they are the best card to reward me for them in the ways that matter most to me Smiley Happy

I don’t take a passive approach to credit.  My CLIs, reduced promotional APR, and additional promotions were not automatic, they were customer-initiated.  I know what I want, and I know who I want it from – and I am armed with a number of other cash back cards I can turn to if I am not happy.  I only want to do business with companies that pay me for using them (rewards), and that acknowledge my history (CLIs, promotions, etc.).  Discover has done all of that for me.  

I agree, there are other good companies out there (I use PenFed for gas and AMEX BCP for supermarkets and department stores).  But for me, Discover is absolutely the best overall.

Why “wait to see” if you’re going to get a CLI – take charge Smiley Happy  If you care about growing the line/getting additional rewards, call them (I’ve learned a lot just by calling and asking questions).  If you don’t care, that’s fine too.  But at least IME, you’re better off “taking charge” and communicating with them, as opposed to sitting back and “waiting”.

Message 15 of 19
ferrari
Regular Contributor

Same here. They want you to use the card they should butter you up

Message 16 of 19
Alcibiades
Contributor

I've had my first Discover for the past couple of months. I must say I like it.

I was sent a preapproval for a 15 month 0% APR on purchases and BTs. I applied for it and was worried about being approve as i had just done a few apps. I was approved for the 15 month offer with their lower APR after the promotional time period. $4000 CL, with is my third highest

I put a couple of charges on, and immediately I was sent a letter because they said their system determined I could be a candidate for a credit limit reduction Smiley Mad

They called me and the CSR went over my income, other account history, etc. After the call, the CSR determined I should keep my $4,000 CL and overrode the system. Smiley Surprised I feel like most other banks would simply process the CLD without any questions asked.

I already have a good amount of cash back from the 5% "fashion" and drugstore purchase groups. I plan on using it this quarter on a hotel purchase and will use it again for holiday shopping this year.

Superficially I also like the card design, the fact it works over the Diners Club network internationally, etc.

For travel and other rewards I use Amex, but for cash back spending, Discover seems like a good card with much better customer service than normal. I plan on really building it

Message 17 of 19
barbaralee
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I feel like every time I call they try to get me to sign up for one of their services. The only saving grace is that a simple "no thanks" is enough to get them to leave me alone about it.

In all fairness the "no thanks" probably suffices because they don't want to sell, either. It is probably a part of their call flow to sell something, which can be just as annoying for the rep as it is for the customer.

I'm not a big fan of Discover... I had a student card a few years back and never used it. I don't do much online shopping, and I had other cards at the time that I preferred. Which is funny, because I was so happy and proud to be part of the Discover family when I opened the card... ended up cancelling it less than a year later because it was taking up space in my wallet.

Message 18 of 19
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

To follow up on this, I did give them a call and told them we wanted to replace some applainces and I needed more credit. They held on to the "6 months needed" but told me that I would be elligable for a CLI at that time.

For now, I can live with that. I will still use them for every day charges with the exception of gas and dining out. We use PenFed for Gas and Amex (Costco) for dining out.

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.