Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do you love your Cash+?

tag
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Why do you love your Cash+?

I see a lot of members here expressing warm feelings towards their US Bank Cash+ cards. I don't have one and every time I look at the card's rewards structure, I find myself doubting whether I could get big value from it. The categories available for 5% cashback don't seem like high-spend areas for me. Maybe I'm unusual or maybe there's a nuance I'm not seeing, like how US Bank assigns charges to categories or something.

If you have a Cash+ and love it, can you explain how you use it? Please educate me!

(Just to clarify: I'm not trying to bash the card or anyone who has it. I'm happy you're happy with this card and I want to figure out whether/how to join you. Smiley Happy)

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: Why do you love your Cash+?

I don't have one, but I think one of the main appeals is that you can put it in the sock drawer and then run your bills through it for 5% cb.

Message 2 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I've thought about getting one for 5% on some pair of (a) internet/streaming, (b) cellular service, or (c) home utilities. For now, though, I'm getting the Amex Platinum credits...and may alternatively go with something with a bigger SUB among the Amex/Chase/BofA offerings.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 28
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Easy answer for me, my power, gas, water and garbage bills comes to >$500/month and I get 5% back on it. I never use it for anything else 

Message 4 of 28
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

Easy answer for me, my power, gas, water and garbage bills comes to >$500/month and I get 5% back on it. I never use it for anything else 

This is answer I'd give if I had one. Not many cards out there that allow you to categorically earn cashback in utilities. Beats a generic 2%-3% card there

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its a future goal card but Id like it for TV, Internet & Streaming + Home Utilities. The more I browse MF the more I realize I want a simple collection of four cards or less that compliment my spending habits. Not SUB chasing so that doesn't really factor into it. Household bills aren't large amounts but they are consistent and I'd rather have 5% back vs. 1.5 or 2. 

Will be interesting to see responses. A lot of people here have far more sophisticated profiles and/or goals so I can understand why they would choose other cards. 

Message 6 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I'm a fan of transaction alerts and ebills. How is Cash+ in those respects?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 28
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I wish I could answer your question but U.S. Bank doesn't particularly care for my size.  They're the lender that wants me to lose weight (credit) before they'll even think about courting me.

To that I say ha!   I'm committed to remaining fat (credit) and sassy.   Smiley LOL   Besides, Bruno Mars says that I'm amazing just the way I am.  So U.S. Bank can kick rocks cause I ain't changin'  Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 28
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I'm a fan of transaction alerts and ebills. How is Cash+ in those respects?

Alerts are fine, you can set them up for any amount, and pick how you want them delivered (text, email ..or both).

No clue about ebills, don't use that feature. 

Message 9 of 28
Remedios
Credit Mentor

To clarify, if you use alerts for card not present you will be notified for any amount.

For transactions done with the physical card notifications start at $10

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.