Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do you need so many credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do you need so many credit cards?

Why do some people get so many credit cards? 

Do they even use them all every month?

Is having 10 credit cards at $5k CL better than having 3 credit cards at $15K CL? 

Message 1 of 80
79 REPLIES 79
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why do you need so many credit cards?

@Anonymous wrote:

Why do some people get so many credit cards?  Why not?  Different products for different lifestyles.  Lender diversification, anyone?  Some individuals are perfectly fine with 3 or 5 or 10, some like having more.  Choices.

Do they even use them all every month?  Yup, you bet.

Is having 10 credit cards at $5k CL better than having 3 credit cards at $15K CL?  "@Anonymous" is a matter of perspective and depends on the individual situation, everyone's goals are different.  Also, some prefer simplicity so 3 @ 15K is fine, for others 10 @ $5K works just as well.  Responsibility is key.

Message 2 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) I don't "need" so many cards, but I love the rewards/perks I get on each of mine. I like to maximize my cashback and with all the categories I have covered with my collection of cards, my return on my spending is between 3-4%. It doesn't seem like a lot, but it adds up very fast.

2) I do use all of mine virtually every month.

3) That depends on what you value. Some people prefer high limits. I personally would prefer to have 10 diverse credit cards with lower limits that maximize my cashback.

Message 3 of 80
myjourney
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why do some people get so many credit cards?  Why not?  Different products for different lifestyles.  Lender diversification, anyone?  Some individuals are perfectly fine with 3 or 5 or 10, some like having more.  Choices.

Do they even use them all every month?  Yup, you bet.

Is having 10 credit cards at $5k CL better than having 3 credit cards at $15K CL?  "@Anonymous" is a matter of perspective and depends on the individual situation, everyone's goals are different.  Also, some prefer simplicity so 3 @ 15K is fine, for others 10 @ $5K works just as well.  Responsibility is key.

+1 and to extend this answer:

Cause I can ....

I enjoy the rewards, the chase and the conquest when I get a another bonus and see the words approved 

However don't get me wrong if I didn't build a solid foundation over time with credit ....most likely I would see less approvals, no rewards and my bonus would be a high APR

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

It all depends on your goals.  I just got $25 statement credit for utilizing Amex offers on a card I try not to use because it has no other real benefits.  Some cards offer more attractive offers or protections for what I am planning.  E.g.  Extended warranty for items is good for electronics that are prone to breaking or specific travel insurance for rentals or airline tix.  I am possibly also one of those rare birds who actually use the concierge services for WEMC and Visa Sig (not interested in Amex's conc.).  Now if I were a millionaire and a paltry bonus wouldn't matter one way or another, then I suppose some cards would go by the wayside, but I like my variety of cards and I like having multiple lenders.  I HAVE had one CC company do AA without my knowledge - found out they closed my account which I had been paying on time when I tried to buy something overseas.  Best to have backups.

Message 5 of 80
elim
Senior Contributor

i'm a paid (with HP's) member of the flavor of the month club.

they paid for the big vacation this year and will again next year.    

:]    

i also like seeing the 256 green marks to date on my reports

Message 6 of 80
Open123
Super Contributor

And, in addition to the above, I just "like" credit cards.  I enjoy opening them, reading about a new rewards program, exploring a new online experience, and receiving bonuses/perks for partaking in the hobby.

For me, it's just a lot of fun to maximize rewards, both travel and cash.

Message 7 of 80
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

And, in addition to the above, I just "like" credit cards.  I enjoy opening them, reading about a new rewards program, exploring a new online experience, and receiving bonuses/perks for partaking in the hobby.

Open...you turned green!  Congrats on the new rank!    Sorry,, sidetrack Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 80
Open123
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Open...you turned green!  Congrats on the new rank!    Sorry,, sidetrack Smiley Tongue

LOL...thanks!  I should have officially turned "green" the moment I caught a glimps of your Black Fid Amex!

Message 9 of 80
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

LOL...thanks!  I should have officially turned "green" the moment I caught a glimps of your Black Fid Amex!

Classic Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.