cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do you need so many credit cards?

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Why do you need so many credit cards?

@Anonymous wrote:

Why do some people get so many credit cards? 

Do they even use them all every month?

Is having 10 credit cards at $5k CL better than having 3 credit cards at $15K CL? 

This is a VERY common topic.  Please don't overlook the previous number of cards threads.

People have whatever number of cards they have for various reasons.  Why isn't necessarily relevant to you.  You need to arrive at your number of cards based on your needs/wants, what your credit profile can support and what you can reasonably manage.

FWIW it's primarly rewards on my spend that drive my credit card selection and usage.  However, I do have some other cards that are kept for other reasons such as AAoA and revolving utilization padding.  No, I don't use all my cards every month.  There's no need to.  Having a card and using a card are two entirely different things.  You don't have to use a give card every month just because you have it.

As for better, better in what regard?  Always be very specific when using the word better and don't assume that your notion of better is universal no matter what the topic.  From a scoring perspective it's not just the limit but revolving utilization and the other standard factors that matter.  However, an individiual could have specific requirements that may make one or the other better.

@Anonymous wrote:
well, now that all the churners answered, here's a realist approach: typically the "right" 3-4 cards will be very beneficial. 

Nothing unrealistic about churning or using more than 3-4 cards.  Again, it's up to each to determine.  Everyone's situation, income, credit, spend, budget, card management ability, etc is not all the same.  Some may even find less than 3-4 to be the most beneficial though the general suggestion is at least 2-3 for scoring purposes.

@Anonymous wrote:
that's what you all are misconceiving. being a churned isn't negative

It's your choice of words and not misconception IMO.  Your post came across as "churners do this but realistic people do this".  It comes across as looking down on churners IMO and I'm not a churner.  That may have not been your intent but something like "churners do this but I prefer this" would be a minimal change with a very different message.

Message 41 of 80
redpat
Senior Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why do some people get so many credit cards? 

Do they even use them all every month?

Is having 10 credit cards at $5k CL better than having 3 credit cards at $15K CL? 

This is a VERY common topic.  Please don't overlook the previous number of cards threads.

People have whatever number of cards they have for various reasons.  Why isn't necessarily relevant to you.  You need to arrive at your number of cards based on your needs/wants, what your credit profile can support and what you can reasonably manage.

FWIW it's primarly rewards on my spend that drive my credit card selection and usage.  However, I do have some other cards that are kept for other reasons such as AAoA and revolving utilization padding.  No, I don't use all my cards every month.  There's no need to.  Having a card and using a card are two entirely different things.  You don't have to use a give card every month just because you have it.

As for better, better in what regard?  Always be very specific when using the word better and don't assume that your notion of better is universal no matter what the topic.  From a scoring perspective it's not just the limit but revolving utilization and the other standard factors that matter.  However, an individiual could have specific requirements that may make one or the other better.

@Anonymous wrote:
well, now that all the churners answered, here's a realist approach: typically the "right" 3-4 cards will be very beneficial. 

Nothing unrealistic about churning or using more than 3-4 cards.  Again, it's up to each to determine.  Everyone's situation, income, credit, spend, budget, card management ability, etc is not all the same.  Some may even find less than 3-4 to be the most beneficial though the general suggestion is at least 2-3 for scoring purposes.

@Anonymous wrote:
that's what you all are misconceiving. being a churned isn't negative

It's your choice of words and not misconception IMO.  Your post came across as "churners do this but realistic people do this".  It comes across as looking down on churners IMO and I'm not a churner.  That may have not been your intent but something like "churners do this but I prefer this" would be a minimal change with a very different message.

God, I can't take it anymore.....Churners, Credit Hoarders who cares, is everyone's skin that thin...LOL!

I wish we could go back to the good old days and make fun of something without people crying about it, stick and stones, stick and stones remember.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 42 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies. Very informative.
Message 43 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah we found the sensitive ones pretty quickly didn't we ha. 

Message 44 of 80
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
yeah we found the sensitive ones pretty quickly didn't we ha. 

While I can't speak for others, I don't think "churners" per se set off the...er...comical posts that ensured.  What set off my amusement was the moment I saw MJ's post quoting with the portion bolded in red where you mentioned "after the churners" to only proceed to announce after "13 14 cards and half of which are never used."

This portion was just hysterically funny.  It was all in good fun, in my view.

Message 45 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't read the middle pages. I have read thAt during times when creditors are tightening their lines, they actually will consider people who don't have that many cards as a higher risk, reasoning being their own exposure to that person is too high. If they had more cards it would be lower

Message 46 of 80
Open123
Super Contributor

@redpat wrote:

God, I can't take it anymore.....Churners, Credit Hoarders who cares, is everyone's skin that thin...LOL!

I wish we could go back to the good old days and make fun of something without people crying about it, stick and stones, stick and stones remember.

Right, I grew up during an age when words meant something, and we never minced them.  A drunkard was a drunkard, not inebriated, etc...and the assortment of new words being created for the sake of policitcal correctness has become the height of folly and absurdity.

Of course, given my views, my very first assignment in Corp America was being shipped off to mandatory sensitivity training, to which I wrote a memo claiming "offense" at being called insensitive.

Message 47 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

i just have old cards i don't use because they don't offer anything. there were no sign up bonuses or spend bonuses and they are pretty useless so i just don't use them. seems pretty simple to me. if you outgrow something then why use it.
Message 48 of 80
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

This is a VERY common topic.  Please don't overlook the previous number of cards threads.

Agreed, lol. How can anyone forget memorable words such as the following from the recent Why SO MANY Credit Cards?

"Personally, enough for me is 3 cards, MAYBE as much as 6.  Anyone with more than 10 or 20 has some unresolved issues."

Message 49 of 80
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

"Personally, enough for me is 3 cards, MAYBE as much as 6.  Anyone with more than 10 or 20 has some unresolved issues."

I have no issues with the assertion, and still don't, but found the premise for it flimsy.  

*Edited*  PS - For me, it's never about what's declared, but the rationale behind it.  If it makes sense, then it makes sense.  If not, then it doesn't.

Message 50 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.