cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't other banks issue Discover anymore?

tag
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: Why don't other banks issue Discover anymore?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Most banks issue Visa and/or MC. Some (FNBO, USAA, etc.) issue Amex. I know there used to be a Walmart Disco issued by GE. But why doesn't anybody issue Discos anymore besides Disco?

AFAIK, True Value Discover is the only co-branded card left using the Discover payment network.   I'm guessing Discover isn't offering as good of a deal as MC is, since they seem to be growing in the cobrand market.  

And as it is the case that Discover is still slightly less accepted here than V/MC, the deal probably has to be a little better

This pretty much sums it up. Why would a bank want to hitch their wagon to Discover when they can hitch it to Visa or MC instead? Both are accepted in more places than Discover, even more so internationally.

Message 11 of 15
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I really have had an acceptable experience with TrueValue Discover Card but often wonder if it's going to last or not.

One of the nifty features is cash over just like regular Discover or Walmart Card but i yet to use it that way yet.

The Walmart cash over feature comes in handy for me sometimes just to show a little useage on those months out of rotation.

Message 12 of 15
BirchBarlow
Contributor

I like the look of that Discover More card in your sig.  It looks a lot like what I imagine the original looked back in the 80s.  I wish they still offered that design.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I really have had an acceptable experience with TrueValue Discover Card but often wonder if it's going to last or not.

One of the nifty features is cash over just like regular Discover or Walmart Card but i yet to use it that way yet.

The Walmart cash over feature comes in handy for me sometimes just to show a little useage on those months out of rotation.

Does cash over does count as part of your purchase or is it a cash advance? I've always looked at it and was trying to figure it out. Especially if I earn 1% back on it, that'd be awesome.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Does cash over does count as part of your purchase or is it a cash advance? I've always looked at it and was trying to figure it out. Especially if I earn 1% back on it, that'd be awesome.

When you do cash over at the selected stores it codes as a transaction... So there is no cash advance fee it is awesome. I know Walmart; Dollar General; and some grocery stores do the Discover cash over...

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.