cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why get a [PNC Cash Rewards] Gas CC when you have Discover it and Freedom Flex?

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why get a [PNC Cash Rewards] Gas CC when you have Discover it and Freedom Flex?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

Disco & FF usually only offer it for one quarter of the year (these are rotating 5% category cards) when others offer it all year round.

Right, but the point was to buy gift cards to use other quarters.   Obviously if you are already hitting the cap, this won't work

I never buy gift cards too much of a head ache.

Message 11 of 18
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: Why get a [PNC Cash Rewards] Gas CC when you have Discover it and Freedom Flex?

@Anonymous wrote:

I suspect for some/many, and speaking for myself, simplicity rules. It's much simpler to pay for my gas on a credit card and be done with it. It's not convenient for me to keep track of gift cards, drive to a gas station I have a gift card for, etc. If I lose out on 1% CB, it's a fair trade off, to me, for simplicity. 

I fall under the simplicity aspect as well. Your post is perfectly said for me. 👌

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 12 of 18
Stralem
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I suspect for some/many, and speaking for myself, simplicity rules. It's much simpler to pay for my gas on a credit card and be done with it. It's not convenient for me to keep track of gift cards, drive to a gas station I have a gift card for, etc. If I lose out on 1% CB, it's a fair trade off, to me, for simplicity. 

This full stop.

I'm not going to go out of my way to stock up on gift cards just to make 1% more than I usually get year round. Too much hassle for not a lot of gain.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 13 of 18
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This full stop.

I'm not going to go out of my way to stock up on gift cards just to make 1% more than I usually get year round. Too much hassle for not a lot of gain.

Yeah, it isn't like grocery stores where most people probably only go to 1-2 chains regularly or even restaurants where many people have favorites; with gas stations I think most people go to whatever gas station is convenient when they need gas, which could one of 6-8 gas station chains.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 14 of 18
Beast26
Established Contributor

Right now it's convenient for me because I pass the BP that I use gift cards at when I leave work on the way home.  On the other hand When I get most of my goal cards I may end up getting the Abound CU Platinum Visa so I won't have to wait in suspense about what categories chase will have for the year.  Atleast Discover give them all out at once.  At some point I will simplify it and get a gas card.  You guys make a good point it is more simple to get a gas card than to buy gift cards.  I think I will do the gift card thing for another year which in that time I will have all my other goal cards then I will apply for the Abound 5% card.  First I must get the Elan Max Cash because I am also stuck managing a bunch of fast food gift cards which really is a headache.

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 15 of 18
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Disco & FF usually only offer it for one quarter of the year (these are rotating 5% category cards) when others offer it all year round.

This is me right here... Not to mention the 4% on PNC is capped at $8K in spend (along with the other bonus categories if you're using PNC at restaurants and grocery.) I'm using Discover for 5% and when I cap that out I'll use up the Freedom 5% while giving PNC a break. Evidently I've already run over $3K in gas through that card this year. (In California, it's *very* easy to max out fuel spend categories dry.gif )

Message 16 of 18
creditfan
Established Contributor

get Cash+ from USB to buy gas giftcard from bestbuy to cover other months all year round

Message 17 of 18
Beast26
Established Contributor

I never knew this strategy thanks for the info!  I will use it when I get the Elan Max Cash this year.  Didn't know bestbuy.com would sell gas cards.

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.