Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why have I been given so much credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why have I been given so much credit?

Before I start I should make it known that I am only 19 years old and will be turning 20 next week. Also, I should add that I have decent income (about $200k this year), but I had no income when I applied for my first card. My credt scores are all in the 800's.

Ok, so when I turned 18 I got my first card, an Amex PRG because I very afraid of being turned down for a CC or, even worse, getting a very low limit. I used this card exclusively for 9 months and spent around 15K on it thoughout that period. I always payed it off by more than the ammount I owed. I even opened a small savings account with Amex (just $5k) to let them know I was a loyal customer. 

Fast forward... I applied for my first CC, an Amex Everyday Preffered. I was given a $10K limit right off the bat, which was nice but not what I was hoping for. I realize my age is a major factor in this and I know many people would be grateful for a limit like this. After 61 days, I applied for a 3X increase and received it. Now the limit on this card is $30k. 

My next card was a Chase Sapphire Preffered, which came with a $32K limit right off the bat (pretty nice of them). I do bank with Chase and I am a very loyal customer.

After this, I foolishly applied for the Visa Black Card (now MasterCard Luxury Card), and was given a measly $12,500 limit. Besides the fact that this card is a useless hunk of metal, it costs an outrageous $500 a year! I have gotten them to waive the fee for two consecutive years based on my status with them so its basically a free useless hunk of metal, but still. 

Ok so this is where I think I went wrong:

My brother swears by his Amex Starwood Preffered card and asked me to apply for one with his refferal. I was shaky because I had just opened two new cards (The Sapphire and Black) and didn't need another. I got approved for $10K, which was odd considering I had spent $60K with amex the year prior.... But I took it and it has been sitting ever since (I did use it enough to get the sign up bonus). 

Now that I had quickly accumulated over $80k in credit, I began to spend a litte more than I used to and started getting content with having a balance. 

In July 2015, I had reached a point where my business got slow and money was not coming in as fast. My balances started going up. By December, I had close to $20k on my cards. I had not planned for Christmas shopping either. Now I was starting to get scared. My total balances in January 2016 were over $25k. I just paid them all off in full and vowed never to do that again. 

Then just last week I went an applied for a Chase Ink Cash for my business, and not surprisingly I was approved for a $35k limit secured by my personal credit. That same day I applied for an Amex Business Platnium, also approved. 

My point is, CC companies have given me ample access to credit without a long history for me to prove I can handle it. I know I am responsible and I have plenty of income to pay my cards off, but what if I didn't? Does anyone else have a similar situation? Curious to hear if this is because I look great on paper or because CC companies just don't care. 

45 REPLIES 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why have I been given so much credit?

Well obviously credit scores in the 800's plus income would allow you to receive the cards you have. AAoA is factored in to your credit scores. I'm assuming you were an authorized user at some point? Otherwise it would be pretty difficult to receive your first card with a high balance. Also it wouldn't be possible to have credit scores in the 800's unless you had some history with credit before you received the first card you're referring to.
Message 2 of 46
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Because you look good on paper, of course CC's care about who they are handing out big limits too. What I find suprising is them handing out huge limits to a 19 year old who claims almost $200k in income, without proof. Unless of course you provided proof. To me the age and income should raise a red flag, now that I think about it, maybe they don't care.
Message 3 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was an authorized user on two cards with 26 and 35 years of history. If I remember correctly both had limits over $100k. I am no longer an AU on either card now. 

Message 4 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did have to supply proof to Amex of my income. They have direct access to my tax information from the IRS. 

Message 5 of 46
creditguy
Valued Contributor

I suspected Amex would want proof. Well there you go. Your scores and income along with your short but excellent history is what's doing it for you. Congrats on your current success.
Message 6 of 46
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

I've got to ask. What does a 19 year old do for $200k a year income?

Message 7 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. But my point is, income shouldnt be the only factor. I have been given credit porportional to what someone 20 years older with the same income would get. Age seems to play no factor in their decision. I even laughed with a rep once who said I was too young to apply by phone and I had to do it online. (Some Federal Law on this)

Message 8 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

633andrising- I sell luxury real estate in NYC. 

Message 9 of 46
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

633andrising- I sell luxury real estate in NYC. 

Great thanks for the info! Also congrats on the great credit.

Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.