cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is 7-10 days msg usually something bad?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is 7-10 days msg usually something bad?

I wonder if anyone has similiar questions with me. It's interesting that "You'll receive a letter/decision in 7-10 business days" usually correlates with bad news, e.g. denial for application, denial for CLI, you name it. Why does bad news have this similiar time frame? Is it a law?

Also, I'd actually love it if banks could simply email me the bad news rather than having to waste 50c and a week to deliver.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why is 7-10 days msg usually something bad?

Safe window of when anything mailed from anywhere in the US will arrive anywhere in the US.  Rarely, if ever, takes longer than that.

The message itself is pretty much a guaranteed auto-generated mailer, and only in rare cases anything else.  Just how its programmed.

Message 2 of 16
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

True, but good news (approvals) usually comes by email.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

U.S. federal law - specifically Regulation B which implements provisions of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, and the Fair Credit Reporting Act - requires that creditors must notify any consumer or business applicant for credit with the reasons why adverse action is taken on either an application or an existing account.  Adverse action includes, but is not limited to, the denial of credit, account termination, denial of a credit limit increase, etc. 

This Notice of Adverse Action is required to be sent within 30 days of receiving a credit application but creditors have standardized it to 7-10 business days.  The notice typically provides four key factors explaining the adverse action but sometimes a fifth key factor is included if it relates to the number of inquiries on the applicant's credit report, and inquiries were not covered in the first four factors. (BTW, this explains why you are never informed of adverse action by phone or email).

The notice also includes the name of the credit reporting agency that provided the information used to make the decision, and gives the applicant a 60-day window to obtain additional information from the CRA and to begin correcting any erroneous information on record with that agency.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow thanks for the info. I do remember hearing something about "letter of adverse action" and I guess that's it!
Message 5 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Every card I've applied to recently has the option to receive it electronically. Just have to checkmark the box for it.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I wonder if anyone has similiar questions with me. It's interesting that "You'll receive a letter/decision in 7-10 business days" usually correlates with bad news, e.g. denial for application, denial for CLI, you name it. Why does bad news have this similiar time frame? Is it a law?

Also, I'd actually love it if banks could simply email me the bad news rather than having to waste 50c and a week to deliver.

I thought this is only relavent to chase where if there wasn't an instant approval or denial, you can call an automatic application status line and it will say (recorded message) 7-10 days if they have pretty much denied you already or a longer period (30 days?) if you still have a relatively good chance.

But certainly learned something new in this thread regardless.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Amex card we've applied for recently either did not offer this feature (SPG Biz, Gold Biz and Everyday), or can only be used with Hilton online reservation (Hilton Biz).

Online chat agent told me it varied from person to person. Not sure if it's true.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Every card I've applied to recently has the option to receive it electronically. Just have to checkmark the box for it.

The Amex card we've applied for recently either did not offer this feature (SPG Biz, Gold Biz and Everyday), or can only be used with Hilton online reservation (Hilton Biz).

Online chat agent told me it varied from person to person. Not sure if it's true.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

The Fair Credit Reporting Act was passed into law in 1970 and the Equal Credit Opportunity Act was passed in 1974.  So both laws existed long before email, and they specify "a notification given to an applicant when adverse action is taken shall be in writing" which creditors interpret as a letter sent via U.S. Mail.

More recently, the Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010 (Dodd-Frank) passed responsibility for the rule-making and enforcement of the two earlier acts to the Consumer Finance Protection Board.  In turn, the CFPB published Regulation B which interprets and clarifies how they intend to enforce the requirements of the FCRA and ECOA.  Regulation B expands the definition of "written notice" to include email as long as the applicant complies with E-signing requirements.  

But typically creditors like American Express, for example, will still send an adverse notice by U.S. Mail even when also providing online access to the notice through their Status Check websites.  Why do creditors still send adverse action notices by mail?  A recent case like Archer-Gift v. Citigroup, Inc. is probably instructive.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.