cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is American Express so sought after?

tag
EC341
Established Member

Re: Why is American Express so sought after?

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

I guess I'm going to have to look into AMEX after all because the last time I rolled up to the Motel 6 in Vegas in my 82 Chevy and gave them my Hooters card, I just didn't feel the LOVE!!!!Smiley Very Happy

Too funny Smiley Very Happy  Great thread. We had a green Amex card years ago with a 20K cl and cancelled it after a few years. Never seemed to get friendly customer service.

The BCP sounds interesting. Might try for that in the beginning of the year when I get our util down. Would they look at our old CL to determine what they would offer us or start fresh?

Message 61 of 87
winstars
Regular Contributor

@EC341 wrote:

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

I guess I'm going to have to look into AMEX after all because the last time I rolled up to the Motel 6 in Vegas in my 82 Chevy and gave them my Hooters card, I just didn't feel the LOVE!!!!Smiley Very Happy

Too funny Smiley Very Happy  Great thread. We had a green Amex card years ago with a 20K cl and cancelled it after a few years. Never seemed to get friendly customer service.

The BCP sounds interesting. Might try for that in the beginning of the year when I get our util down. Would they look at our old CL to determine what they would offer us or start fresh?

That is a very good question. That is: does AMEX look at your previous useage if you had cards with them in the past that were closed without any payment issues??? Is there a positive or negative effect on what they give you as far as CL or APR???

Starting Score: TU-685 (FICO) EQ-674 (FICO) EX-713 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Current Score: TU-800 (FICO) EQ-812 (FICO) EX-800 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Goal Score: 815

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 62 of 87
MrCredit
Established Contributor

I think there disputes department is the best. I had them and want them back now after trying to dispute a transaction on a Citi card and getting nothing but run around. The annual fee is worth it on a Green or Gold if you buy a lot of high ticket items and shop at questionable merchants. I have been dealing with Citi for months with a dispute on a faulty item received. I have heard that Amex is the best with disputing charges. That in itself to me is worth it. After my experience I am ready to cut up my Citi Card and obtain an Amex.

Message 63 of 87
aamex
Frequent Contributor

http://www.jdpower.com/Finance/ratings/credit-card-ratings/

I think this just about sums it up.

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 64 of 87
GWUMBA13
Established Member

I figured as much.  I was denied by them a month ago, but I'll wait a year or so to let some of the inquiries fall off, then I'll apply again.  I feel, as someone posted earlier, that having an AMEX CC is the culmination of hard work and careful monitoring of your credit.  If I get the BCP, I would be good to go as far as credit cards are concerned.

Starting Score: 655
Current Score: EQ707, TU698
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 65 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to get the BCP right now... I keep calling amex every day to check on my recon status..... The guy told me he would call me in exactly 30 hours lol...... They said they were verifying some information or some crap

Message 66 of 87
Ms-Kato
Contributor

Deleted 

Message 67 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

In searching for the best credit cards for me I never once thought about AMEX. Right now since I am trying to pay off my student loans as fast as possible, and when I travel I am looking for the best deals I am perfectly decribed as a budget traveler so cards like the capital one Venture are perfect for me right now.

However 7 or 8 years from now that might be quite different. I will have all my student loans paid off in about another 2 or 3 years, 7 or 8 years from now I will probably have a mortgage, be making at least twice what I am making now in annual salary, and at that point I won't care about free flights as much as perks. With the Gold or platinum AMEX you get some great travel perks. You still earn points toward free flights but not as good as other travel rewards cards, but the perks are outstanding.

So basically if you are able to whip out a gold or platinum AMEX that shows that you have arrived in the credit world and you are someone important. A status symbol, joining an exclusive club basically.

But for now I can only gawk at all the pretty cards on the AMEX website. Smiley Very Happy

Message 68 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can probably get approved for an amex gold right now!

Message 69 of 87
HiLine
Blogger

@dnice77 wrote:

i feel you speak the truth, anyone that works in retail plays that game.

i remember one time i was in NYC, during the Puerto Rican Day parade, the parade goes right by Gucci and i wanted some shoes. i try to pull the door open and its locked, the dick salesman says the bathrooms are not for public use. i was dressed in basketball shorts and a sweatshirt i think. when i yelled at him and put my Plat card on his door he was all red faced and apoligetic, and offered me the world. his manager chased me down the street and appoligized and gave me a celebrity discount card. i would not shop at that store any more.

Moral of the story is, everyone discriminates as unfortunate as it is it happens. i was renting a car yesterday (CDW another AMEX Bennifit) and i saw a sign that said if you use your debit card for the rental they will run a credit report http://hertzhelp.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1007 im my opinion thats favortisim as well.

In your car rental story, I think technically the company needs to run a credit check on everybody, but waives the check for those who show signs of having good credit, such as using a decent credit card since obviously someone who doesn't know how to deal with debts wouldn't be using one. 

Your first story though, is sad ...

Message 70 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.