cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Amex percieved "the best"?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Why is Amex percieved "the best" card to get?

@nicholasyud wrote:

Anytime ppl said something about their American Express CC, I was like oh they must have  good credit and rich...welll it's just me.......lol

Have you seen the Amex prepaids lately?  Looks just like the MB card!  LOL

Message 11 of 28
HiLine
Blogger

@nicholasyud wrote:

Anytime ppl said something about their American Express CC, I was like oh they must have  good credit and rich...welll it's just me.......lol

or be knowledgeable, which is as respectable as being rich IMO Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 28
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Why is Amex percieved "the best"?

They were the first company to issue a plastic charge card. Most large companies have AMEX as the supplier for there company credit/charge cards. Among with all the other benefits you mentioned...

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 13 of 28
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@nicholasyud wrote:

Have you seen the Amex prepaids lately?  Looks just like the MB card!  LOL

we dont talk about that kind of

Amex man

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 14 of 28
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@enxinas wrote:

When I first moved here in the US about 6 years ago, I always look into Amex as the "best" card to get even though I don't know anything about CCs. Fast forward into today, I know some of the reasons are the 3x CLI, purchase protection, and extended warranty.  But why do regular (peeps who do not know this forum/or credit in general) people percieved Amex as great?

Two words:  History.  Tradition.

This is for the VAST majority of folks out there who've never heard of credit card forums/discussion groups/blogs, ad infintum...

AMEX is the best...because people BELIEVE they are the best.  Whether that's backed by facts/reality is irrelevant. 

Message 15 of 28
HiLine
Blogger

@jamesdwi wrote:

They were the first company to issue a plastic charge card. 

Wasn't Diners Club the first? 

Message 16 of 28
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Branding. Nobody does it better.

Gives them spend centric customers and merchants that like spend centric customers and it just reinfoces the branding.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 17 of 28
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

The original Diners Club and AmEx cards were made of cardboard - AmEx introduced the plastic version in 1959.

Message 18 of 28
HiLine
Blogger

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

The original Diners Club and AmEx cards were made of cardboard - AmEx introduced the plastic version in 1959.

Ah I see. Imagine instead of calling credit card and charge cards "the plastic", we'd be referring to them as "the cardboard" lol 

Message 19 of 28
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

Ah I see. Imagine instead of calling credit card and charge cards "the plastic", we'd be referring to them as "the cardboard" lol 

And now we are coming full circle: The very first charge plates were made of METAL - wanna guess what's all the rage these days?? Smiley LOL

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.