Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Chase So boring? Lol

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is Chase So boring? Lol

Screenshot_20170504-182535.pngThis picture explains the title of my post. Lol! No incentives . Just ' time to add your chase card to android pay'. Pray tell me why should i  do that instead of using the physical card ? I dont trust andriod pay or samsung pay but i still made 50$ using discover. But I confess i use Aarp CC as my daily physical card for its 3% cash back . And i just dont get this ' time to add your chase card to andriod pay' without any incentives.lol

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
C24Webb
Regular Contributor

Re: Why is Chase So boring? Lol

Why don't you trust Android Pay?  Given that fact, this might not even matter to you... However, from Google: When you use your phone to pay in stores, Android Pay doesn’t send your actual credit or debit card number with your payment. Instead we use a virtual account number to represent your account info – so your card details stay safe and secure.  And this: If your phone is ever lost or stolen, you can use Android Device Manager to instantly lock it from anywhere, secure it with a new password, or wipe it clean of personal data.

So, in theory, you are less likely to experience credit card fraud because you are not using the actual account information.  This incentivizes Chase, obviously, because they would pay out less for fraudulent purchases, and it might incentivize consumers because they'd be saved a headache or two in filing claims.  

I do agree that Chase's offer is meh in comparison to Discover's.  For me, regardless of base rewards, Discover is my favorite lender for reasons like that email, including their cashback matching, SP CLIs, promo APRs after initial 0% period, stellar customer service, etc.

Card/Limit/Opened — Discover it: $27,600 2/14 | Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,500 7/14 | Banana Republic Visa: $10,000 7/14 | USAA Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $9,000 6/11 | Chase Freedom: $2,000 3/12
History — AAoA: 42 months | Oldest account: 119 months (including AU) | Inquiries: 1 EX 0 EQ 0 TU | Score: 765 (Discover TU) 750 (USAA CreditCheck Monitoring EX FAKO)
Message 2 of 11
jeffery581
Established Contributor

I will never use my phone at the cash register. I will insert the card. Way to many people that are addicted to the phone and can not put it away as it is. More steps and more information on different decives is more of an oportunity for theft and hacking. 

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 3 of 11
yfan
Valued Contributor

While it is no doubt nice to have an issuer offer an incentive for things like this, in this case it would obviously be a loss to them. You say yourself that you don't trust Android Pay, so it follows that you'd merely use the incentive and not regularly​ use the card in Android Pay. So what's Chase's incentive to incentivize you?

Card issuers want you to add their cards in mobile wallets because they want to be the default card and get the swipe fees. For people who use it, the convenience beats having to take out a wallet. But for customers in whose case that doesn't hold true, there is no reason to give them incentives.

Message 4 of 11
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

C24Webb wrote:

Why don't you trust Android Pay?  Given that fact, this might not even matter to you... However, from Google: When you use your phone to pay in stores, Android Pay doesn’t send your actual credit or debit card number with your payment. Instead we use a virtual account number to represent your account info – so your card details stay safe and secure.  And this: If your phone is ever lost or stolen, you can use Android Device Manager to instantly lock it from anywhere, secure it with a new password, or wipe it clean of personal data.

So, in theory, you are less likely to experience credit card fraud because you are not using the actual account information.  This incentivizes Chase, obviously, because they would pay out less for fraudulent purchases, and it might incentivize consumers because they'd be saved a headache or two in filing claims.  

I do agree that Chase's offer is meh in comparison to Discover's.  For me, regardless of base rewards, Discover is my favorite lender for reasons like that email, including their cashback matching, SP CLIs, promo APRs after initial 0% period, stellar customer service, etc.

Thank you for posting this. People stuck in the past (like the one who posted under you) are the reason this country is moving slower and slower into the future while other countries zoom past us. We have a less secure card scanning system than just about every first world country. We just got chip...and sign. Signing isn't even a means of countering fraud. While other countries have had chip and pin for years. Android Pay...and Apple Pay are an inherantly safer means of paying for things. People are so set in one's way that they don't even try to see a possible benefit from trying to do things a new way. I don't expect many people here to agree so I will give you my kudos and hope that people see the benefit over time.

Also, Chase is bland because they're the "establishment." They already have so many people (BoA as well) that they just have to sit there and rake in the money. Discover isn't everywhere and they have to fight harder to maintain relevence. It's the same reason Discover and Amex are so nice to those with thin profiles...they want to lock people in...where as Chase and BoA are, for lack of a better word, the default.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 5 of 11
Skymogul
New Contributor

Forget Android Pay. If you have a Samsung Galaxy, use Samsung Pay. It has its own rewards program, which will stack with whatever rewards program your cards have. Plus, Samsung Pay works anywhere, even if the merchant doesn't support Tap & Pay. The phone will emulate a magnetic stripe and work with a regular stripe reader. Samsung Pay also works with more cards than Android Pay does.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Skymogul wrote:

Forget Android Pay. If you have a Samsung Galaxy, use Samsung Pay. It has its own rewards program, which will stack with whatever rewards program your cards have. Plus, Samsung Pay works anywhere, even if the merchant doesn't support Tap & Pay. The phone will emulate a magnetic stripe and work with a regular stripe reader. Samsung Pay also works with more cards than Android Pay does.

Maybe I'm using Samsung Pay wrong, but the only two places I've been able to get it to work are Starbucks and Nordstrom. I've tried multiple times at multiple other vendors with no success. So I've pretty much given up on it because it only seems to annoy the vendor/customers waiting as I try putting my phone at different angles trying to get it to work.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Skymogul wrote:

Agreed!! I love using Samsung Pay and the new rewards system they put in place. I now have automatic Platinum status until the end of the month because I upgraded to the S8+.The only store where I've had an issue using Samsung Pay is CVS.  I get a "card read error" and then I get a prompt to insert my credit card.  

Message 8 of 11
Skymogul
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe I'm using Samsung Pay wrong, but the only two places I've been able to get it to work are Starbucks and Nordstrom. I've tried multiple times at multiple other vendors with no success. So I've pretty much given up on it because it only seems to annoy the vendor/customers waiting as I try putting my phone at different angles trying to get it to work.

It does take a bit of trial and error to learn. In the case of a terminal like this:

verifone.jpg

You'll lay the back of the phone so it's resting across both the skinny and fat part of the swiper. It'll sit at about a 45 degree angle, but it works. If it doens't take right off the bat, slide the phone up and down until it takes.

You also need to have picked a card to use and authenticated with your fingerprint before trying to swipe. The screen will show a countdown on how long you have left before it times out.

Message 9 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Skymogul wrote:

Agreed!! I love using Samsung Pay and the new rewards system they put in place. I now have automatic Platinum status until the end of the month because I upgraded to the S8+.The only store where I've had an issue using Samsung Pay is CVS.  I get a "card read error" and then I get a prompt to insert my credit card.  

Interesting.   I use mine quite a bit at CVS, they often warn me it doesn't work (because it doesn't take Apple or Android pay) and are always surprised when it does.   Yes, I have to get my excitement somehow....

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.