Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Citi being difficult?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why is Citi being difficult?

Well, I got an explanation from Citi on this after I called, but I'm not sure if I believe it.

Their claim is that Hilton (not Citi) sets specific guidelines on who can obtain this card.  Specifically, I was told that the age of my oldest account wasn't old enough.  I find this strange given that it's 7 years old (and that card is an Hilton AMEX, which I obtained as a student with little credit history at all), but nevertheless they weren't budging.  AAoA according to Experian (which is what they pulled) is 4.4 years, which might be what they were referring to.

I don't really need the card, so it's no sweat off my back, but I did want to earn Hilton points on my non-AMEX purchases.  My only other card is a FIA card, and I hate BoA's business practices (I got the card back when they were still MBNA), so I'll probably apply for my credit union's (First Tech) Visa to serve as my new backup.  I'll take a hit on AAoA but they pull EQ, where I have the 784 (and actually no inquires now that the mortgage ones have just recently fallen off), so I don't think that will be an issue.

Message 11 of 20
score_building
Senior Contributor

I suppose that could be but I wonder if you called back once or twice if the story line would be the same... 

that's a good one either way- 'it's the co-brand partner's call'  4 sure Smiley Very Happy

side note, I think First Tech may be in talks to merge with another major CU, Addison Ave I think.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

After some research I went for the Fred Meyer MC from RBS to serve as my new backup.  Got auto-approved online.  I can't believe I forgot about this card - I'm a pretty loyal Fred Meyer grocery shopper but I always seem to miss the $500 quarterly spending minimum to get the 1% rebate (since I'm single).  Getting this card will clinch that every single quarter and the 2% rebate for Fred Meyer purchases is icing on the cake.  A bit of a novelty for me as well since I've never had a Mastercard before.  I've been pretty loyal to AMEX since they were my first non-student card and I'm going to continue to be as long as they treat me well.  Once I get this puppy I'm going to sock-drawer the FIA card and knowing BoA they will likely cancel the account once the inactive months pile up, which is fine with me.

And yeah, First Tech is indeed merging with Addison Ave, but it's up to a vote for FTCU members.  If the blogs are any indication, it's gonna be a close vote.  I will defintiely be voting no - I joined a credit union because I liked the fact that it was locally (or at least) regionally run.  I don't want a board out of California running what's supposed to be a credit union made up of people that live in the Puget Sound and Willamette Valley.

Message 13 of 20
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Good for you, Sullim!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not waste my time on Citi. Those idiots closed my account with 0 balance and excellent payment history for no obvious reason. There is no guarantee that after they approve you they won't change their guidelines or their mind in 5-6 months)

Message 15 of 20
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I would not waste my time on Citi. Those idiots closed my account with 0 balance and excellent payment history for no obvious reason. There is no guarantee that after they approve you they won't change their guidelines or their mind in 5-6 months)

That appiles to every CCC as far as I'm concerned. I've read enough posts to realize most (all?) of the CCC's have/are/and will continue to do this. None of us are 100% immune. Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  Just as a follow-up, I called and found out I got a $6000 limit on that Fred Meyer/Kroger RBS card.  Should be plenty.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That appiles to every CCC as far as I'm concerned. I've read enough posts to realize most (all?) of the CCC's have/are/and will continue to do this. None of us are 100% immune. Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Yes, but most CUs or Banks like US BANK or USAA will not play those games... I would stay away form Amex, Chase, Citi, BoA. Just my own opinion

Message 18 of 20
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with marinevietvet but you actually posted several reasons why Citi may've become nervous about the acct.

Message 19 of 20
score_building
Senior Contributor

Nice CL, Congrats!

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!  Just as a follow-up, I called and found out I got a $6000 limit on that Fred Meyer/Kroger RBS card.  Should be plenty.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.