Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is JCB Murakai not popular?

tag
ray8806
Regular Contributor

Why is JCB Murakai not popular?

Is there a catch or something that I don't see?

I see that 3% cash back, only a $35 AF(annual fee plus membership fee), only 13.9% APR, and a Discover card. To me, that seems better than Citi DC at 2%, CapOne QS at 1.5%. There has to be something that I'm not realizing, anyone have any thoughts on this card?

I personally think it looks a little ugly, but it seems like it does give a lot of cash back.
EQ: 710(FICO) EX: 695(FICO) TU: 708(FICO)
Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
joedtx
Valued Contributor

Re: Why is JCB Murakai not popular?

@ray8806 wrote:

I see that 3% cash back, only a $35 AF(annual fee plus membership fee), only 13.9% APR, and a Discover card. To me, that seems better than Citi DC at 2%, CapOne QS at 1.5%. There has to be something that I'm not realizing, anyone have any thoughts on this card?

I personally think it looks a little ugly, but it seems like it does give a lot of cash back.

Ahhh the prized card from Japan Credit Bank it is a great to get in with them since they are a Prime bank but they are a strict conservative lender with limted acceptance in the US. But if you hold their card thats awesome!  

Message 2 of 41
enharu
Super Contributor

Few reasons. You have to be a resident of either California or Hawaii to qualify. Not sure if they opened up to more states.

They are also very very conservative. Application method is also very traditional. You fill up an app manually, send it in, and an underwriter will look at it. There's no automated computer approvals.

It's on the discover network, which means acceptance is limited. Out of all the 4 major payment networks, this is the least accepted.

Rewards redemption cannot be done online. You have to call in.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 41
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@joedtx wrote:

@ray8806 wrote:

Ahhh the prized card from Japan Credit Bank it is a great to get in with them since they are a Prime bank but they are a strict conservative lender with limted acceptance in the US. But if you hold their card thats awesome!  

+1

The geographical restrictions are pretty much the reason.  As per their application disclosure...Currently, JCBUSA has licenses and/or permissions to issue credit cards to U.S. residents in the States of California, Hawaii, Illinois, New Jersey, and New York.

Message 4 of 41
uswala
Senior Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Few reasons. You have to be a resident of either California or Hawaii to qualify. Not sure if they opened up to more states.

They are also very very conservative. Application method is also very traditional. You fill up an app manually, send it in, and an underwriter will look at it. There's no automated computer approvals.

It's on the discover network, which means acceptance is limited. Out of all the 4 major payment networks, this is the least accepted.

Their website says applicants must be a resident of the state of California, Nevada, Oregon or Washington

Message 5 of 41
enharu
Super Contributor

@uswala, thanks for the clarification. It's been a while since I looked at the website and I was too lazy to look it up again lol
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joedtx wrote:

@ray8806 wrote:

Mostly because it's limited in issuing, geographically.

If I lived in Hawaii, I'd get this one, lol.

Message 7 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@enharu wrote:

In the US, Amex is the least accepted of the 4, discover is close to V/MC.  See, from http://blogs.wsj.com/totalreturn/2014/08/28/discover-credit-card-has-risen-in-rankings-and-acceptanc...

cc.gif

Message 8 of 41
yfan
Valued Contributor

Simple. Because the cashback is "up to" 3%, not flat 3%. It's 1% on spends up to $1K, 2% on spends between 1K and 3K and 3% above 3K. 

Message 9 of 41
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@yfan wrote:

Simple. Because the cashback is "up to" 3%, not flat 3%. It's 1% on spends up to $1K, 2% on spends between 1K and 3K and 3% above 3K. 

I would respectfully disagree with this answer. To some people 3k is a single purchase.  I would think the general reasons have all been listed by now that are more applicable/probable.

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.