cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Synchrony so Difficult with Credit Limits?

tag
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Why is Synchrony so Difficult with Credit Limits?

Both my oldest credit card and my newest are Synchrony. My FICO scores are just above 800 accross the board. I have all my credit limits above $9K (and a couple at $20K on the high end) across 7 cards (except on my newest Marvel CC).

Last year, on my oldest CC Texaco Synchrony card, they reduced my CL to $2,500 for insufficient use. I was angry but did get them to bump it back to $10K which they stated was the limit for the account. In between last year and now, I ran a purchase of several hundred dollars through it to show use and PIF next bill. Now Synchrony has once again reduced my CL to around $2,500.

Before this latest reduction, I was approved for the Marvel Card in middle of last year. They approved me for a measly $2K SL. Smaller than the rest of my profile by a wide margin. I have since received 2 small CLI's, and it's now sitting at $3800, still very low. 

Synchrony is not a prestigious lender, they accept most people without a second thought. Now both of my lowest limit cards are with them and it is frustrating. I see people on MyFico with 8+ cards with them at $10K limits. I have been with them for over 8 years. 

Why do you think they are being so difficult with me?

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Why is Synchrony so Difficult with Credit Limits?

I see it's been roughly 3-4 months since you've last been on the forums and lot has happened with Synchrony from CLDs and closures reported by various people due to the current financial environment. They're not just being difficult with you but everyone. The Synchrony you used to know in the past is gone and today they're not as generous as they once were

With that said I don't see why you need a higher limit on a gas card unless you're on the road all the time, similar with the Marvel card unless your restaurant and online expenses are numerous. The way I see it is Synchrony believes you can work with the limits they have provided and any more than that will sit unused. If you're attempting to use Sync to pad your utilization note that is probably not a good idea anymore with them if the credit will not be used

Message 2 of 25
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

Both my oldest credit card and my newest are Synchrony. My FICO scores are just above 800 accross the board. I have all my credit limits above $9K (and a couple at $20K on the high end) across 7 cards (except on my newest Marvel CC).

Last year, on my oldest CC Texaco Synchrony card, they reduced my CL to $2,500 for insufficient use. I was angry but did get them to bump it back to $10K which they stated was the limit for the account. In between last year and now, I ran a purchase of several hundred dollars through it to show use and PIF next bill. Now Synchrony has once again reduced my CL to around $2,500.

Before this latest reduction, I was approved for the Marvel Card in middle of last year. They approved me for a measly $2K SL. Smaller than the rest of my profile by a wide margin. I have since received 2 small CLI's, and it's now sitting at $3800, still very low. 

Synchrony is not a prestigious lender, they accept most people without a second thought. Now both of my lowest limit cards are with them and it is frustrating. I see people on MyFico with 8+ cards with them at $10K limits. I have been with them for over 8 years. 

Why do you think they are being so difficult with me?

Synchrony is reported in the financial media to be experiencing financial difficulties due to the high level of defaults and anticipated defaults.

According to reports in this forum they have been engaged in a program of closing high limit accounts.  Each time they close an account or lower a limit, they get to decrease their loan loss reserves, which makes their losses lower.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 25
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Sorry about your Synch frustrations. Consider yourself lucky it was only CLD and not closure. Synch is closing accounts left and right. Managing risk in these unprecedented times.

The Marvel limit is a standard limit for that card. I'd honestly tell you to focus on other lenders. If you aren't growing, put energy elsewhere.

Message 4 of 25
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Both your responses are enlightening. I guess offering credit to everyone with a 600 has come around and bit them in the butt. I don't really drive that much. I do make numerous purchases on the Marvel for dining as well as digital purchases (iTunes subscriptions and the like) but I guess they think what I have is probably enough for as little as I'm spending in these cats. 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 5 of 25
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

Sorry about your Synch frustrations. Consider yourself lucky it was only CLD and not closure. Synch is closing accounts left and right. Managing risk in these unprecedented times.

The Marvel limit is a standard limit for that card. I'd honestly tell you to focus on other lenders. If you aren't growing, put energy elsewhere.

I appreciate your thoughts. I will just accept this as how things are for the moment. At this point, my focus is reaching 5 years of AAOA. I just hit 4 years because I slowly built my profile with 1/2 cards every year and a half or so. 

Message 6 of 25
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

I appreciate your thoughts. I will just accept this as how things are for the moment. At this point, my focus is reaching 5 years of AAOA. I just hit 4 years because I slowly built my profile with 1/2 cards every year and a half or so. 

If you do a search of the forums, you'll see a LOT of threads about this very topic with Synchrony over the past few months.  Many many cases. 

But something else is also very important to note if you haven't been on the forums:  there are also numerous cases with many other lenders reported of closures or CLDs.  There is also a higher incidence of new application denials, lower CLI's than recent past, and less tolerence for credit-seeking behavior.  This is generally a good time to lay low and to make sure you're putting sufficient spend on all your cards if you want to keep them. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 7 of 25
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

Both your responses are enlightening. I guess offering credit to everyone with a 600 has come around and bit them in the butt. I don't really drive that much. I do make numerous purchases on the Marvel for dining as well as digital purchases (iTunes subscriptions and the like) but I guess they think what I have is probably enough for as little as I'm spending in these cats. 

Yes that Marvel card is a beauty. I really miss my Spiderman card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 25
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

If you do a search of the forums, you'll see a LOT of threads about this very topic with Synchrony over the past few months.  Many many cases. 

But something else is also very important to note if you haven't been on the forums:  there are also numerous cases with many other lenders reported of closures or CLDs.  There is also a higher incidence of new application denials, lower CLI's that recent past, and less tolerence for credit-seeking behavior.  This is generally a good time to lay low and to make sure you're putting sufficient spend on all your cards if you want to keep them. 

Yeah, I just read the active thread regarding Amex. They are my second oldest card with my highest limit. Y'all have me paranoid now. I haven't used it in almost 6 months. I did get a nice letter from Barclays telling me they would close my account if I didn't use it soon so I immideately ran up some spend.

I typically use 2/3 cards regularly, my Chase Freedom Unlimited for daily, Marvel for digital/dining and semi-regularly Freedom for Category spend (depending on the category).

I will make sure to keep frequent spend across the board. For once, I envy my friend who has all his cards with 80%+ util paid with a minimum amount every month. /s

Message 9 of 25
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

Just want to add that even though it seems Synchrony gives out credit to anyone that isnt really  true. Its very difficult to get a Sync card with 600 scores and when i was rebuilding , i was denied both Walmart and Sams with 670 scores.    Sync is a very much ymmv lender and as @blindambition pointed out, 2k is standard sl, sometimes even more than usual, for their Marvel card. 

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.