Did you mean: 

Why is a FR so bad?

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Why is a FR so bad?

@mxp114 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I'll also point out mxp is one of the customers that every lender wants to have.  It's perfectly reasonable that he has less of a tolerance for hassle out of any creditor than I would as an example; he has near infinite options, where I was willing to beg and scrape to get my Zync even.  

Maybe that's what it is. There was a time when I was semi-prepared for FR. I really enjoyed the benefits of membership and thought if FR came up, I would comply. However as of now, I prefer other lenders and products that I would rather just close and not deal with the hassle. I will always have an AmEx branded card either way.

I think Amex doesn't perform a FR twice on the same person, so if you pass the first one, you're good. Can someone please confirm or refute this?

Message 41 of 140
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

How in the world did you reach such a broad conclusion based on a simple post where all I said is I would just close out rather than comply? ?_? I don't need them simply means, as I stated I hardly use the card. Actually closing out, PIF is a very responsible thing choice. FR isn't mandatory, you are free to close out. It's not like I said, I would close and never pay. And no it's not like taking my ball and going home, it's more like being told that if I wanted to play on this court, I had to wear blue shorts and well I decided I could wear my red shorts on another court lol

I suppose you have more options than most and packing it in with AMEX is one of those.  It just read (to me) like an "I'll show them" statement, that's all.  I would be concerned that declining an FR could have lingering effects with future business.

Message 42 of 140
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@mxp114 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I'll also point out mxp is one of the customers that every lender wants to have.  It's perfectly reasonable that he has less of a tolerance for hassle out of any creditor than I would as an example; he has near infinite options, where I was willing to beg and scrape to get my Zync even.  

Maybe that's what it is. There was a time when I was semi-prepared for FR. I really enjoyed the benefits of membership and thought if FR came up, I would comply. However as of now, I prefer other lenders and products that I would rather just close and not deal with the hassle. I will always have an AmEx branded card either way.

I think Amex doesn't perform a FR twice on the same person, so if you pass the first one, you're good. Can someone please confirm or refute this?

I have met a few who said they been FR more than once in their lifetime. 

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 43 of 140
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@jake619 wrote:

I suppose you have more options than most and packing it in with AMEX is one of those.  It just read (to me) like an "I'll show them" statement, that's all.  I would be concerned that declining an FR could have lingering effects with future business.

The options are available to all creditworthy individuals, so many cards out there it isn't like you have to comply. You misread my post and no concerns there. If you decline FR, it simply becomes a condition of membership in the future. I think they flag your SSN for automatic FR however some have reported success bypassing this. AmEx will always welcome you back.

Message 44 of 140
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@GoldenloveNY wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@mxp114 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

+1.  Haven't met them personally, but there have been a couple threads of people that had to submit to FR multiple times. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 45 of 140
HiLine
Blogger

@Walt_K wrote:

@GoldenloveNY wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@mxp114 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

+1.  Haven't met them personally, but there have been a couple threads of people that had to submit to FR multiple times. 

Hmm. What a hassle. Robot Frustrated

Anyway, can someone please help me answer the question below?

@HiLine wrote:

@jake619 wrote:
Why?  To tech AMEX a lesson?  They don't need you either.  I think the more responsible thing to do if an FR really agitates you to no end would be to just stop using their card(s).  That way you keep the TL open and they get no merchant fees from your usage.  Closing it seems a bit immature, kind of like taking your ball and going home.

I've been wondering about this ever since I started frequenting this board: why do people think Amex doesn't need them as customers? Doesn't Amex make money off customers? What makes them different from Visa, Mastercard, and Discover in this regard? What am I missing here? Perhaps you can give me some insight? I'm totally serious.

Message 46 of 140
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

@jake619 wrote:

The options are available to all creditworthy individuals, so many cards out there it isn't like you have to comply. You misread my post and no concerns there. If you decline FR, it simply becomes a condition of membership in the future. I think they flag your SSN for automatic FR however some have reported success bypassing this. AmEx will always welcome you back.

Yes.  As I alluded to earlier, Amex seems to be like the iPhone in the public mind.  In both cases: it has some good features, and for certain people it may well be the best choice out there, but for many,  there are equally good or often superior alternatives.

Message 47 of 140
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

I spoke with two people during the one they put me through and both said they may look into doing again in six months. I asked why and they said they have the right to do it every month if they want to. I have not touched the card since then and I charged up the business card to the max and am keeping the balance until the zero interest runs out. If they want to close it then oh well, but that kind of rudeness is not what I expect from a company. They do have a good thing with 3% on groceries, but Citi gives 5% so American Express is useless except for the 5% off at Federal Express.

Message 48 of 140
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

I spoke with two people during the one they put me through and both said they may look into doing again in six months. I asked why and they said they have the right to do it every month if they want to. I have not touched the card since then and I charged up the business card to the max and am keeping the balance until the zero interest runs out. If they want to close it then oh well, but that kind of rudeness is not what I expect from a company. They do have a good thing with 3% on groceries, but Citi gives 5% so American Express is useless except for the 5% off at Federal Express.

Most FRs are IRS transcript requests so I don't see what they would gain doing one every month or even every 6 months. Seems like an indirect way of saying they don't want you as a customer.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 49 of 140
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

Look, just be honest on your apps, and it should not be a problem. AMEX has millions of cardholders and enough money that losing a few customers here and there don't make any difference to them. But like another poster said, I would rather have it that they would verify before giving me a card rather then after, and after I charge something. I mean if you have been a good customer for years and all of a sudden they FR you (especially with the limited time frame that they give you.) you have hardly a chance of walking away unscathed. Just be honest, don't overspend and don't go nuts with the spending power you have and I'm sure it'll be unlikely you will ever be FR'ed.

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 50 of 140
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.