Why is a FR so bad?

tag
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Re: Why is a FR so bad?

@bs6054 wrote:

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

9 times out of 10 there are far less intrusive ways to verify a cardmember's income.  Not using them is in and of itself highly suspicious in my book.

There is a simple solution to this: walk and find another card. Why do business with someone you find highly suspicious?

Yes, but it's also OK to try to educate others that the process is potentially far more intrusive than some might think, which is what McArthur has done here and I for one appreciate that!

I don't disagree about education, but that education apropos Amex paranoia has gone on for years and many threads here. Even so, I guess one more complaint won't hurt anyone Smiley Happy

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 71 of 140
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

Anyone sweating signing a 4506-T form for AMEX must have never applied for a home mortgage. You sign one or don't get the loan (at least in my case but I do believe ALL mortgages require completion as to allow verification of provided financial information by annalists). So yeah - AMEX is welcome to one as is anyone that loans me LARGE amounts of money. 

A big amen to CreditCrusader's point as to secret files being in place. Privacy does seem to be a myth now days. Nothing to hide anyhow.

I'm sure I will eventually get FR'd by AMEX. I am self employed and nearly all of my income is reported on 1099 forms. If I sent them just 1099 forms they would not have the complete picture as they would have no idea as to my expenses or my gross/net profit per year. I totally get why they need this info and in my eyes it's justified. I'll take and use the unsecured credit they give me and suck it up when it comes time to submit the document. 

If it makes you feel better, I have been FR'd by these guys many times. Always the same information asked for, always a quick and seamless process. They are anal...nothing more, nothing less. 

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 72 of 140
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

Anyone sweating signing a 4506-T form for AMEX must have never applied for a home mortgage. You sign one or don't get the loan (at least in my case but I do believe ALL mortgages require completion as to allow verification of provided financial information by annalists). So yeah - AMEX is welcome to one as is anyone that loans me LARGE amounts of money. 

A big amen to CreditCrusader's point as to secret files being in place. Privacy does seem to be a myth now days. Nothing to hide anyhow.

I'm sure I will eventually get FR'd by AMEX. I am self employed and nearly all of my income is reported on 1099 forms. If I sent them just 1099 forms they would not have the complete picture as they would have no idea as to my expenses or my gross/net profit per year. I totally get why they need this info and in my eyes it's justified. I'll take and use the unsecured credit they give me and suck it up when it comes time to submit the document. 

If it makes you feel better, I have been FR'd by these guys many times. Always the same information asked for, always a quick and seamless process. They are anal...nothing more, nothing less. 

Thanks, no worries either way. When it happens if I get spooked I'll drop you a PM...

Message 73 of 140
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

Mortgage companies now require two years of complete tax returns to qualify for a mortgage or refi.

This in the new financial world post collapse in usa's markets and house bubble.

Message 74 of 140
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

I hope AmEx gets FR'd by the feds! Smiley LOL

Message 75 of 140
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not to be a jerk, but exactly how do you know so much about AMEX's FR protocol, document & data retention policies?  You stated you would walk if FR'd so I assume you've not been through an AMEX FR.  Just looking for first hand validation is all.  

Even if I didn't personally know folks who have been FR'd or read the experiences of those on this forum who have gone through the process, the AmEx FR protocol is not a secret.  The only way AmEx can get an IRS tax transcript is via a 4506 T.  That much is no secret.

I do not know AmEx's document and data retention policies and neither do you.  That in and of itself worries me.  Do they receive the transcripts and open them in a sterile environment using only bonded employees with a top secret security clearance?  Do these employees view the data and then immediately shred and incinerate the transcripts after making the decision whether to AA?  If they do not - and my guess is they don't - then doesn't Sarbanes-Oxley require them to maintain business records for several years?  Unless AmEx can show exactly how they manage this sensitive data, I choose not to trust them with it.

Besides, I see absolutely no reason whatsoever why AmEx needs to know names & SSN of all members of my family much less any of the literally dozens of data points above and beyond gross income found on my tax returns.  Ever.  And all for a common credit card the likes of which you can obtain from a score of other banks, none of which will likely ever ask you for a 4506 T.  

9 times out of 10 there are far less intrusive ways to verify a cardmember's income.  Not using them is in and of itself highly suspicious in my book.

With all due respect, I think it may be you who is missing the point here. No one denies that Amex's FR policy is invasive. The question originally was why a FR is so bad. My contention is FRs aren't all that bad because they are 100% voluntary. No one is forced to turn over that info...and among those who do hand it over and sweat it, there is a reason they are sweating it. If you don't mind providing credentials to ascertain continued credit worthiness, and you have been honest about your information, you have little to worry about. As for the idea that such determinations should only take place BEFORE issuing credit, that is nonsense. When someone's income and abilities to pay changes, a creditor has a right to take that information into account before handing over unsecured credit. 

by the way, earlier in the thread you asked about attitudes toward the FBI collecting sensitive information about us and our families. I'd be shocked if they didn't already have a file with such information sitting in someone's laptop or other electronic storage device right now. Privacy is a myth by and large...especially when something as controlling and paranoid as the federal government is involved.

You're missing the point.  

A FR may be voluntary, but failure to comply gets your account closed.  To some people that may not seem to voluntary.  Further, your logic about financial circumstances changing doesn't hold water.  First of all, everybody's financial circumstances can change so why don't they just FR everybody?  Maybe when you and your family return from a trip to the mall your house should be locked up so you can't enter while your mortgage holder does a FR.  According to your logic, that should be ok.

I seriously doubt you have any type of even halfway valid statistics that show that those who don't like AmEx's FR have something to hide.  

You'd be rather disappointed then to learn that the FBI only has information from tax returns on an extremely small number of people and even then they got it with a court order.  Anything else they may have is largely public knowledge.  What data they do have isn't your main worry; why they have it is.  If not under criminal investigation, I'd trust the FBI with my tax return data more than I would AmEx.

If you do not mind AmEx having your tax returns, that's up to you.  As an adult that's what free choice is about.  I'm just pointing out the risks. 

Personally, I wll not release my tax returns.  AmEx has a proven history of taking AA based on simple factors such as swiping your card at an inner-city Wal-Mart.  If they can't even be trusted with simple data obtained by you swiping your card, I see no reason giving them even more detailed and sensitive data points.  Where I work and my salary is a matter of public record, if USAA or Navy Federal or even Barclays is smart enough to realize that then AmEx should be, too.  

Message 76 of 140
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There is a simple solution to this: walk and find another card. Why do business with someone you find highly suspicious?

Hmmm . . . I could have sworn this is what I already said I would do.  

If AmEx asks for my tax returns in a FR, then they're fired.  It really is that simple.

Message 77 of 140
bs6054
Valued Contributor

And even if the concern is with changing financial circumstances, a tax return is hardly a current snapshot, likely to be several months old in most cases.

I was just thinking of my current situation.  By far the largest expense this year has been $110K on college tuition.   This is not reflected at all on my tax return, except that I have two kids who are of college age.  On the credit report there are some closed PLUS loans from previous years, but they didn't reflect on past tax returns either.  So an intrusive, non-timely instrument that may not have the relevant data....

Message 78 of 140
Anonymous
Not applicable

@scenery_guy wrote:

If self employed, I'm guessing that maybe a 4506 T might be a valid method under certain circumstances.  If you're an employee, there are other less intrusive methods to verify income.  

Yes, you generally are requested to provide tax returns for a mortgage these days.  Depending, however, on certain factors such as down payment, in my experience I have seen them accept alternative documentation.  Still, there is a huge difference between providing tax documents for mortgage purposes and providing them for AmEx.  First of all, providing proof of income before being approved is more palatable.  I mean, not like your mortgage issuer is going to lock up your house three years later while you and your family are away on vacation and not let you in until you sign a new 4506 T.  Also unlikely your mortgage lender is going to call your mortgage because you shopped at an inner-city Wal-Mart one time.

My CL with AmEx is slightly over $25k, but with NFCU or USAA it is 4 times that.  At one point each has wanted to verify my income and it was a very easy process.  Yet I know 2 others who work with me who were asked by AmEx for a 4506 T.  Why the more intrusive route?  Would be nice if AmEx would explain it, no?

Message 79 of 140
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Personally, I wll not release my tax returns.

So a mortgage or a refinance is out of the picture for you? Perhaps you rent or had a mortgage prior to the financial meltdown? Sorry but you are making it look like the ONLY people who ask for this information is American Express and that's simply not true. They might be the only credit card company who asks for it, and good for them. Again it's their money so it's their terms and you can close out and not submit the info requested. 

I'm not really seeing the risks with releasing this info to AMEX. You pointed out on prior posts that they can deduct your marital status, sexual orientation, P&L for businesses, expenses, medical bills and so forth but how does sharing this data put you at risk? I can see the obvious situation where they learn you have a medical condition of some sort and decide to close your accounts before you run up the cards and have no way to pay them but in that case how is that wrong? I can't advocate screwing a lender in a situation like that and I am sure you can't as well. I can easily see how they can check that your reported income matches closely to your application information. What else am I missing? (I am not trying to be a jerk here - I just need a better example of the dangers). 

With that being said thank you for posting your information. It's a valuable discussion and people need to know all aspects in a situation like this so they can make up their own mind about a FR from AMEX. 

EDIT: Sorry I missed your reply above this post. You covered much of this post, thanks. Feel free to add more comments as applicable. 

Message 80 of 140
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.