Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it so difficult to get pre-approval from Credit One

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Why is it so difficult to get pre-approval from Credit One

I have been trying for months and I am unable to get pre-approval for Credit One Credit Card. I keep getting unable to pre-approve. I wonder if any of you tried to get pre-approval from Credit One Bank ?

21 REPLIES 21
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Why is it so difficult to get pre-approval from Credit One

why do you want one? Don't you already have a bucket of secure cards and preach how you don't care about having more credit? 

Message 2 of 22
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

I have been trying for months and I am unable to get pre-approval for Credit One Credit Card. I keep getting unable to pre-approve. I wonder if any of you tried to get pre-approval from Credit One Bank ?

Good morning! 

With your scores I wonder if maybe your credit files are locked and/or you're not opted in for credit offers?

I closed my account with them this year (didn't like the monthly fee AND an annual fee the card I had came with).

The email me once a week and mail me twice a week telling me they miss me and will give me a $2,000 CL @Anonymous.96% with a $99 first year annual fee billed at $8.95 a month after the first year. 

Credit Karma and Experian both show the card as pre-approved as also (CK Vantage is 615, Experian Fico8 is 650).

While Credit One has a time and place, many feel they are offering you a blessing in disguise by not offering you credit. 

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 3 of 22
wasCB14
Super Contributor

They may be under the impression you'll soon lose interest in bottom feeder cards and want to close your account before they can make very much in fees.

Or maybe they're worried about aggressive credit seeking at a time of high unemployment.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 22
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I did several years ago just for fun, was denied preapproval with a clean report and 780+ Fico. LOL.....

Message 5 of 22
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

why do you want one? Don't you already have a bucket of secure cards and preach how you don't care about having more credit? 

I out grew from Credit One. I don't need that card. But I am curious why it never gives me pre-approval.  Few more COs to clear before end of this year. Also some of my secured cards should graduate in the next few months. I am going to re-organize the secured cards and consolidate them into one or two. I keep wondering why I can never get pre-approval from Credit One.

Message 6 of 22
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

They may be under the impression you'll soon lose interest in bottom feeder cards and want to close your account before they can make very much in fees.

Or maybe they're worried about aggressive credit seeking at a time of high unemployment.

I think it is the first statement. They might be thinking I'll be out of their league soon. Also I could never get pre-approval from Avant either. Either my credit is too bad for them or they dont like me any more.

Message 7 of 22
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

I did several years ago just for fun, was denied preapproval with a clean report and 780+ Fico. LOL.....

With 780 if they dont approve you, I have no chance with my low 600 scores.

Message 8 of 22
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

With 780 if they dont approve you, I have no chance with my low 600 scores.

High credit scores aren't attractive in an applicant if many people with those scores get the card by mistake (confusing it for Capital One, maybe?), never put much spend on it, and end up calling to complain about the fees and quickly cancel. CSR salaries add up.

If someone pays his or her bills on time for a few years, it's easy to get a 780 while knowing remarkably little about credit.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 22
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

I have a credit one preapproved for $400 and a first premier for (up to) $2000. If i could give them to you, they'd be all yours. I have thankfully been able to avoid fee harvesters during my rebuild.  

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.