Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why navy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why navy?

I see many posts that seem to indicate many of you love navy and their credit cards. But when I was looking at their credit card line up, they don't seem that exciting to me. Is there a reason why so many of you swear by navy?

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why navy?

Because Navy rocks! Huge starting limit, low APR and great customer service! And last but not least is they don't judge you by your FICO score for approval! Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 49
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Flagship occasionally has a $500 or $600 SUB.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Because Navy rocks! Huge starting limit, low APR and great customer service! And last but not least is they don't judge you by your FICO score for approval! Smiley Very Happy

+1

I definitely agree, "they don't judge you by your FICO score for approval!"

Message 4 of 49
FieryDance
Frequent Contributor

Navy sounds great indeed but still like all FI's it is not for everyone.  If what Navy offers doesn't match your needs it is not a good match for you. 

So far I have yet to find a CU that provides what I am looking for that's why I am not a fan of CU's. 

Message 5 of 49
TekkenQQ7
Established Contributor

Because we are proud to be part of the NAVY.

Message 6 of 49
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Flagship occasionally has a $500 or $600 SUB.

This is one reason for the Sub chasers.

For others like me, they go above and beyond with not only their customer service, but by treating even their lower class customers with same regards to the upper levels. They look beyond ones income and with good management of ones credit they give  more than any other lender imo. Even profiles that are damaged, they give chances unlike any other lender, again imo. 

Message 7 of 49
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

+ 1, except for the SL...only $1K here Smiley Indifferent

Potential Future Cards
Message 8 of 49
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I see many posts that seem to indicate many of you love navy and their credit cards. But when I was looking at their credit card line up, they don't seem that exciting to me. Is there a reason why so many of you swear by navy?

The customer service is great. They allow you to show your worthiness through responsible use and reward you accordingly.  I'm not even 2 years post filing for bk7 and I have a 9900 and 12500 card.  The cards will continue to grow over time, plus I can ask for APR reductions (though one card is already at the lowest).  Some places lock you in and the only way to get better terms is to apply for a new card, which personally for me I hate.

Also, a flat 1.5% card and a 3% gas/restaurant/groceries card are both pretty competitive with offerings by larger lenders like Cap One.  But the APR tends to be significantly lower.  In January I was approved for QS 3k/19.99, found out about NFCU here and apped Cash Rewards and was approved for 3.9k/12.49.  I do not usually carry a balance, but emergencies can happen and it's just nice to know I won't get wrecked if I do.

Plus, I'm establishing myself with a place with competitive rates for mortgage and car who are far more likely to give good terms with my history.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 9 of 49
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

"Why navy?"

Because it is an honor to be a part of the most Awesome CU, that help's so many Military Service Member's and their families!. (Active and retired)

You will never know what Navy is like, until you are actually a Member.

The customer Service is the best, bar none.

Also one of the few Credit Unions to be there 24/7 & 365 days a year for you!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_Federal_Credit_Union

"In May 2008, the Navy Federal Credit Union widened its membership to include the entire Department of Defense, which made eligible all active duty, retired, and reserve Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force personnel, as well as civilian personnel within the Department of Defense. In March 2013, the Navy Federal Credit Union further widened its membership to include all Coast Guard members and employees as well.In 2014, Navy Federal expanded its Vienna headquarters and added 600 new jobs there. An increase in membership also led to an expansion at the credit union's Pensacola location in 2015, where Navy Federal hopes to reach 10,000 local employees by 2020.

Navy Federal offers the typical suite of account services offered by most financial institutions, including savings accounts, checking accounts, IRA accounts, and certificates. The savings product is named "Share Savings" to reflect the fact that a member's initial savings deposit ($5.00) literally represents their share of ownership in the credit union. Navy Federal also offers members consumer loans, credit cards, mortgages and home equity lines of credit, as well as some small business services. Navy Federal's CUSO, Navy Federal Financial Group, offers more extensive investment services, an electronic trading platform, and insurance.

As of January 2016, Navy Federal had 295 branches and almost 580 ATMs, located both inside the United States and abroad. Navy Federal offers extensive online services via its corporate website, Navy Federal Online. In addition, members can make ATM transactions through the nearly 30,000 CO-OP Network locations at other credit unions and 7-Eleven stores in the U.S. and Canada without any surcharge fees.

Due to the nature of its membership, which includes actively deployed military personnel in every time zone, Navy Federal maintains 24x7 operations at its three contact centers in Vienna, Virginia, Winchester, Virginia, and Pensacola, Florida, its largest contact center, as well as round-the-clock online services."

Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.